Bonder (차단됨) 2013년 6월 20일 오전 12시 15분
Let's face it - coupons are worthless.
One of the groups I'm in is giving away 6 or 7 coupons. The group has about 10k members. To enter you just have to comment something or other in the announcement thread.
No one has entered. I think this is a pretty good indicator of the value of steam coupons - they are basically worthless.

Be thankful you're getting anything right? Certainly a discount, maybe even for something you might buy. That's what I thought for a year. But, having seen coupons come and expire, and not using any, I've come to realize that they are rather worthless. To the point where they probably aren't worth the server space or work hours required to create / maintain their operation.
I love the idea of little 'bonuses" from Steam to it's users, but the coupon system (now also a part of the trading card bonus) doesn't really seem to be cutting it.

Anyone who has been on steam more than a couple of months (which are the only people likely to have coupons) knows that the same or better discounts occur naturally from time to time, and at least every 6 months. I have yet to see a coupon offer a discount that wasn't already offered to the public as a sale on steam.

I think anyone would rather have 5% off in addition to the sale offering as a coupon, than offering the same exact discount that the sale offers even if its 66 or 75% (since the discounts do not stack). Really all you are gettting is the convenience of not waiting for the sale. It is my opinion that this is not much of a convenience at all, and I think a change to the coupon system may be beneficial.

Is it just me? Have people found steam coupons to be a blessing? Are they readily used?
Let's have the discussion. I'm sure the beta people have their hands full, but no point in spinning the wheels maintaining something that people aren't using.

(wasnt sure if this should go in suggestions, let me know if I should repost there and delete this).
105개 중 1-15 표시중
< >
­­­­­­Τhe Rolling Oven Turkey 2013년 6월 20일 오전 12시 47분 
Coupons would actually have value if they stack, with the current system, it is far more beneficial to wait for a 75% off sale than use a 50% off coupon (which is in quite an abundance). I have yet to see a coupon above 66%. Most of them are 50% or below.

Also a lot of these coupons ended up being for very very cheap, very very old, or undesirable games. The only really valuable coupons are the 50%+ off any steam game coupon. Too bad those are ultra rare.
[E]vent[H]orizon 2013년 6월 20일 오전 1시 03분 
But when i use the coupons in the summer sale when the game is in the sale than it´s a good deal. Does it work?
☔ wuddih SpNv ✔ 2013년 6월 20일 오전 1시 17분 
EventHorizon님이 먼저 게시:
But when i use the coupons in the summer sale when the game is in the sale than it´s a good deal. Does it work?
nope, coupons are not working on already discounted titles.
Nya` 2013년 6월 20일 오전 3시 41분 
I want to the ability to throw them away or give them to a bot or something, most annoying things to ever grace my inventory.
Nya`님이 마지막으로 수정; 2013년 6월 20일 오전 3시 41분
BrandeX 2013년 6월 20일 오전 7시 06분 
A large percentage of the time when I see people offering Steam coupons, the game is currently Cheaper on Amazon or elsewhere without coupon already.
Satoru 2013년 6월 20일 오전 7시 25분 
Nya`님이 먼저 게시:
I want to the ability to throw them away or give them to a bot or something, most annoying things to ever grace my inventory.

I'm almost postive there are services that already do this. I recall someone said there was a bot that had like 700 DOTA2 invites.
Ledow 2013년 6월 20일 오전 7시 27분 
Just how many coupons do you see anywhere else that are actually more worth it than Steam ones. Coupons, in general, are there for a reason that isn't to give money away. It's to make you think you're getting a good deal, even if you could get that deal elsewhere, and make you consider things you might not have.

Coupons in newspapers, online "coupon codes", they are all the same. They have value, because if you WANT that game and want it 50% off, you can have it. It doesn't mean they hold value indefinitely or even at all to the wrong person. I've given coupons away on Steam because I have no intention of getting those games, but also used them when I do. The fact that people will generally take most coupons from you means that they have some value to others, no matter how little.

How many coupons go uncut from the newspaper they were printed in? Almost all of them, if you look into the market research. But it acts as an advert and a gesture of goodwill to people who may not have considered your product at the full price, waited for a sale, be willing to impulse buy, etc.

Coupons are a marketing strategy to make money. Not to give it away.
Bonder (차단됨) 2013년 6월 20일 오후 12시 58분 
EventHorizon님이 먼저 게시:
I and another poster already stated that the coupons don't apply when there is another sale or discount, and every coupon states that on the coupon itself.
Bonder (차단됨) 2013년 6월 20일 오후 1시 09분 
Ledow님이 먼저 게시:
Just how many coupons do you see anywhere else that are actually more worth it than Steam ones. Coupons, in general, are there for a reason that isn't to give money away. It's to make you think you're getting a good deal, even if you could get that deal elsewhere, and make you consider things you might not have.

Coupons in newspapers, online "coupon codes", they are all the same. They have value, because if you WANT that game and want it 50% off, you can have it. It doesn't mean they hold value indefinitely or even at all to the wrong person. I've given coupons away on Steam because I have no intention of getting those games, but also used them when I do. The fact that people will generally take most coupons from you means that they have some value to others, no matter how little.

How many coupons go uncut from the newspaper they were printed in? Almost all of them, if you look into the market research. But it acts as an advert and a gesture of goodwill to people who may not have considered your product at the full price, waited for a sale, be willing to impulse buy, etc.

Coupons are a marketing strategy to make money. Not to give it away.

most everywhere, in answer to your first question. Here's why. Most people do use supermarket coupons. I do. I save 2 or 3 bucks every time I go. One major supermarket sends me personalized coupons quarterly or bi-monthly, they are mostly 100% off (free) for items it knows I buy frequently. So free bag of chips, free orange juice, and some are 50-75% off of bags of coffee, or yogurt or what have you. Those are like a free 12-20 bucks, and it's always things I already buy frequently. That's not to mention weekly circular coupons, which save a buck here and there. In contrast Steam coupons have saved me 0$ since their inception. And I have bought a lot of steam games, over 1k using the old counting system, and over 700 using the new. I buy at least a dozen a month.
I don't know who you are giving your coupons to, but some people will stockpile anything that goes in a steam inventory, even if its completely worthless, like expired beta invites. That doesnt mean they will ever get anything for them. And unlike expired beta invites, the coupons have an expiration date upon which they disappear. When I offer my friends coupons for games that are on their wishlists, they either don't bother, or I give it to them and find they didn't buy the game.
I really think you are confusing apples and oranges. Steam coupons are nothing like circular coupons. Circular coupons, no matter how many are ignored, are used in the thousands every day for a given market. People use them. People don't seem to use steam coupons. They don't work like store coupons, and that's the point. They should, or they should work differently than they do now. Further, Steam coupons do nothing to advertise. Remember that these coupons are not handed out to the public - they are given to steam users. And any good steam user knows, you are better off not using the steam coupons, because the sad fact is, with the majority of the coupons, you are getting a worse deal than if you waited for a sale.
BrandeX 2013년 6월 21일 오전 2시 13분 
I think about 10% of my games library is a direct Steam purchase, the rest are from other digital retialers when they have 50-80% off type sales. Usually cheaper than buying Steam directly with a coupon.
Mivo 2013년 6월 21일 오전 3시 52분 
Of the 25'ish coupons I received in the past few weeks, I actually used one. I feel it's off to complain about something that is a free gift, though I'd be grateful for an option to delete them from the inventory.
Lock 2013년 6월 21일 오전 8시 54분 
I was pretty stoked to get a -90% off Half Life 2 coupon (as I didn't already own it) last week, but apart from that, yeah I agree that they're generally worthless.
kanukato 2013년 6월 21일 오전 11시 13분 
I lucked out. I got a 66% coupon for some game no one wanted, but traded it with someone for a 75% percent Serious Sam 3 coupon. And then I traded that coupon with a guy for Super Meat Boy. It was a win-win and made me feel better about creating that dumb badge instead of selling those cards.

But I wouldn't mind if they changed the system. The thing is, it did encourage me to look up the game when I got the coupon for it, but I didn't want it. Maybe if coupons had 3 offers to choose from they would get more use. "66% off this game OR 50% off that game OR 75% off another." I don't even mind if coupons are the same price as a regular sale.
Bonder (차단됨) 2013년 6월 21일 오후 2시 24분 
Lock님이 먼저 게시:
I was pretty stoked to get a -90% off Half Life 2 coupon (as I didn't already own it) last week, but apart from that, yeah I agree that they're generally worthless.
nice! never saw a 90. But, you can be pretty sure it will be on sale for the same amount in a few weeks.
Bonder (차단됨) 2013년 6월 21일 오후 2시 26분 
kanukato님이 먼저 게시:
I lucked out. I got a 66% coupon for some game no one wanted, but traded it with someone for a 75% percent Serious Sam 3 coupon. And then I traded that coupon with a guy for Super Meat Boy. It was a win-win and made me feel better about creating that dumb badge instead of selling those cards.

But I wouldn't mind if they changed the system. The thing is, it did encourage me to look up the game when I got the coupon for it, but I didn't want it. Maybe if coupons had 3 offers to choose from they would get more use. "66% off this game OR 50% off that game OR 75% off another." I don't even mind if coupons are the same price as a regular sale.
if it was recent, then you got lucky trading it, because humblebundle had a much better deal than that last week or so for those serious sam & bfe! So you did good lol. And yes, those types of ideas are the kind of thing I'm hoping to get started on this thread.
105개 중 1-15 표시중
< >
페이지당: 15 30 50
게시된 날짜: 2013년 6월 20일 오전 12시 15분
게시글: 105