"ITS ME"Mr.Pro Mar 9, 2013 @ 8:42pm
Xi3′s “Piston” Steambox & The Official Steambox
What do you think of steambox? A Steam's console focusing on the big picture.
There are two troll's on here please ignore them.

Link1:official http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852144/gabe-newell-interview-steam-box-future-of-gaming

Link2:unofficial the piston built for steam box.
http://kotaku.com/5989727/the-first-steam-box-will-launch-this-holiday-season-starting-at-1000

Piston:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEHXqb4knFk
Steambox:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqTXgGIPHtw
Last edited by "ITS ME"Mr.Pro; Mar 12, 2013 @ 5:53pm
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
< >
Spawn of Totoro Mar 9, 2013 @ 8:53pm 
http://kotaku.com/5989727/the-first-steam-box-will-launch-this-holiday-season-starting-at-1000

"Xi3's Piston—the first unofficial Steam Box console—will launch this holiday at a starting price of $1,000, the hardware manufacturer announced today.

If you preorder it before March 18, you'll get a $100 discount.

The Piston is the first PC designed specifically to play games in your living room using Steam's Big Picture mode. Valve is helping finance the machine, although the Steam makers are developing their own Steam Box that will also be released this year, according to Valve boss Gabe Newell."
-----
That is not the "Steam Box". It is a hardware device made by another company that uses Steam and Big Picture mode and was partly finanaced by Valve.

BDK (Banned) Mar 10, 2013 @ 6:14am 
PC = better. PS4 = actually has exclusives. Steam "box" = Linux, extremely limited game titles. Not sure why anyone would invest in it to be honest.

Also you can upgrade the steam "box", but other consoles requires no upgrades. I smell a cash trap right there.

Warranty will be pure hell, just like the steam subscriber agreement - I bet if you install a piece of hardware incorrectly, warranty is void. "But BDK, how can you install hardware incorrectly?" I'm not sure, but you better read that little piece of paper that comes with the console. What if the upgrade hardware is DOA (Dead On Arrival)?

If it's from valve, you agreed to something before reading or knowing about it. "Buy this console and all DOA hardware is not our fault. You agreed to this when buying the console." .. Yeah, no thanks.
Spawn of Totoro Mar 10, 2013 @ 6:54am 
Originally posted by TheBDK:
PC = better. PS4 = actually has exclusives. Steam "box" = Linux, extremely limited game titles. Not sure why anyone would invest in it to be honest.

Also you can upgrade the steam "box", but other consoles requires no upgrades. I smell a cash trap right there.

Warranty will be pure hell, just like the steam subscriber agreement - I bet if you install a piece of hardware incorrectly, warranty is void. "But BDK, how can you install hardware incorrectly?" I'm not sure, but you better read that little piece of paper that comes with the console. What if the upgrade hardware is DOA (Dead On Arrival)?

If it's from valve, you agreed to something before reading or knowing about it. "Buy this console and all DOA hardware is not our fault. You agreed to this when buying the console." .. Yeah, no thanks.

More game will go to Linux and the "box" over time. It already has more gaims available on release then any console has ever had. It takes a long time for a regular console to get up to 100+ games.

We don't know much about everything else, so it is speculation untill we find out more.

All hardware comes with atleast a 1 year warranty. This and the Official Steam Box will come with that as well. Read a console's TOS and you will see many of the legal information there and in Steam's SSA are the same.
"ITS ME"Mr.Pro Mar 10, 2013 @ 10:02am 

Iol Best reponse ever
Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel Mar 10, 2013 @ 10:41am 
Xi3 specifications are just lol.. that GPU is worse than my 1000 dollar laptop, which cost about the same as the Xi3. I don't know who's the genius that thought putting an ssd in the xi3 was a good idea.
Last edited by Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel; Mar 10, 2013 @ 10:42am
10Club Mar 10, 2013 @ 1:56pm 

You do realize the PC has more exclusives than all 3 consoles combined right?

Not only that but you have much more variety. You have the AAA stuff from massive publishers such as SimCity, Company of Heroes 2, Rome II Total War, ARMA III, Generals 2, Elder Scrolls Online, Shootmania, Fortnite, etc. all the way down to the amazing looking Kickstarted games, middle tier games, and indie games. Shadowrun Returns, Dead State, Grim Dawn, Project Eternity, etc.

http://www.destructoid.com/photo-m.phtml?photo_key=248081&post_key=243184#prevnext

Let's all clap for the single 360 exclusive.

PS: Steambox allows you to install Windows on it.
Last edited by 10Club; Mar 10, 2013 @ 1:57pm
Spawn of Totoro Mar 10, 2013 @ 2:01pm 
The $1000 price tag will most likely hurt the device from the start. They said the Official Steambox is supposed to be arount $100. Wish more official information was available. So far just rumors and speculation.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Mar 10, 2013 @ 2:59pm
Dirtman73 Mar 11, 2013 @ 6:49pm 
The prices excludes console gamers. They will shake their heads and laugh at the ridiculous notion of spending $1K on something that doesn't have Microsoft or Sony in its title.

The limited hardware excludes PC gamers. They will shake their heads and laugh at the fact that upgrading will only be possible by purchasing vendor parts.

There's barely a market for this thing, and I'll be surprised if they sell more than 5,000 units during its lifetime.
Last edited by Dirtman73; Mar 11, 2013 @ 6:49pm
Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel Mar 11, 2013 @ 7:20pm 
Originally posted by Dirtman73:
The prices excludes console gamers. They will shake their heads and laugh at the ridiculous notion of spending $1K on something that doesn't have Microsoft or Sony in its title.

The limited hardware excludes PC gamers. They will shake their heads and laugh at the fact that upgrading will only be possible by purchasing vendor parts.

There's barely a market for this thing, and I'll be surprised if they sell more than 5,000 units during its lifetime.

I'll be completely shocked if anyone buys it at all. There is no market for a 1000 dollar gaming machine that is not even as powerful as a price equivalent laptop.
Last edited by Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel; Mar 11, 2013 @ 7:21pm
Spawn of Totoro Mar 11, 2013 @ 7:27pm 
Originally posted by The Rolling Cheese:
I'll be completely shocked if anyone buys it at all. There is no market for a 1000 dollar gaming machine that is not even as powerful as a price equivalent laptop.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852144/gabe-newell-interview-steam-box-future-of-gaming

From wht I gather in this article (provided my Mr.Pro in another thread) the official SteamBox will be a home based cloud gaming system, usable by up to 8 diffrent people )and games) at one time. Just grab a controller and turn on the TV.

Hope it does come out like that. All the Unofficial Steamboxs seem to be a small form factor PC that just runs the Linux OS with Steam in big picture mode.
Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel Mar 11, 2013 @ 7:28pm 
Originally posted by Spawn of Totoro:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852144/gabe-newell-interview-steam-box-future-of-gaming

From wht I gather in this article (provided my Mr.Pro in another thread) the official SteamBox will be a home based cloud gaming system, usable by up to 8 diffrent people )and games) at one time. Just grab a controller and turn on the TV.

Hope it does come out like that. All the Unofficial Steamboxs seem to be a small form factor PC that just runs the Linux OS with Steam in big picture mode.

Sounds good, the Xi3 on the other-hand is a disaster in the making.
Spawn of Totoro Mar 11, 2013 @ 7:31pm 
Sounds good, the Xi3 on the other-hand is a disaster in the making.

Ya, I agree with you 100% on that. 1K for a PC/Console. I'd rather spend an extra $200 and build a new PC from the ground up.
Kano (Banned) Mar 11, 2013 @ 8:06pm 
what a over-priced pile of junk, my gaming rig i built 2 years ago for my missis pawns this thing, and for 1000 dollars o.O valve your dreaming
[dirrty]gsharp Mar 11, 2013 @ 8:10pm 
Originally posted by Dirtman73:

♥♥♥♥ it. I got my pre-order in. Just to have MY box in the living room. The wife has her Xbox 360. The kids have their WII. Now I get mine.
Max-Power Mar 12, 2013 @ 4:32am 
Valve has distanced itself from the Xi3 Piston, dubbed an unofficial Steam Box[www.eurogamer.net]

They present it as a Steam Box but they don't even mention a controller ????
Last edited by Max-Power; Mar 12, 2013 @ 4:33am
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 9, 2013 @ 8:42pm