kommandant Feb 24, 2013 @ 10:45pm
help me understand the logic of consoles?
why are people still throwing their money at these outdated toasters? literally i dont understand the logic of it when the price they pay for a console they can upgrade their pc far beyond a console.
Their is literally no argument they can give but these are the most popular attempts.
First Argument Fail:"I like playing on xbox live with friends!' My Answer:Ventrillo skype and MIC
Second Fail:"I can hook it up to my tv in my living room" Answer: Graphics card with hdmi and wireless mouse and keyboard
Third Fail:"They Run games smoother" Answer: A blender runs games smoother than your 1998 compaq presario, upgrade"
Fourth Fail: "They have better graphics" Answer: Never@aol.com

In a nutshell it is foolish to think consoles will ever compete with pcs considering all modern day consoles are just dumbed down pcs with a ♥♥♥♥♥♥ OS but you cant upgrade them and multitasking on them is never going to be fun. I think if someone made a commercial explaining how dumb modern day consoles are and how stupid people are for buying them then consoles would probably go out until they figured out how to compete on a whole different level with something completely mind blowing and cutting edge that pc's dont already have and havent had for the past 5 years.
Showing 1-15 of 70 comments
< >
dormantminds Feb 24, 2013 @ 11:46pm 
In my opinion, console gaming is just more popular and playing online with people, my real life friends play consoles more than PC so playing with them is easier, sharing content (like how the PS4 is bringing to the table) is just a lot more fun and easier with consoles. PCs have their pros but cons too. Same with consoles. I'm not going to say anything about Xbox because I don't have one, but with PS3 its just really fun, hands down, and isn't an 'outdated toaster'. Can your toaster play Skyrim? Sure your PC can too but, my opinion most games just play better on console and with console controls. Things like trophies are nice too. and I seriously doubt most people are going to 'upgrade their PCs far beyond a console' when these next gen ones are coming out. There isn't going to be a PC game that's going to look as good as these console games for the next generation. At least not right now. And if there is, I don't think a whole lot of people are going to drop that much money to upgrade their computer into in an insane gaming machine when frankly I think console gaming is just better.

I enjoy PC gaming too but I think console is just all around better. Not trying to bash PC in any way, but yeah. Some people just have their preferences. I started console gaming way before PC, and I think a good chunk of people have too, console gaming is just my personal preference and I don't think PC is ever going to be more fun or easier than console.
Last edited by dormantminds; Feb 25, 2013 @ 1:06am
bloodraven43 Feb 25, 2013 @ 6:52am 
the reason why there are consoles is because they are cheaper to buy.you dont have to update them ever...the pc is a different animal...it cost you triple or more to game on...thats why...cheers

btw i have a ps3/xbox360 and a pc...there are titles that only come to consoles like god of war ps3/halo xbox360...company of heroes pc...so there is a need for all content to be played,plus console gaming is just as fun as pc gaming.dont get your point really.
Spawn of Totoro Feb 25, 2013 @ 7:22am 
Originally posted by bloodraven43:
the reason why there are consoles is because they are cheaper to buy.you dont have to update them ever...the pc is a different animal...it cost you triple or more to game on...thats why...cheers

...I paid as much for my PC as the PS3 cost when it was released and arund the same time. I can run most new PC games on a combination of medium-high settings with a 50-70 FPS. No upgrading except for a new case and bigger HDD. If you are spending 3X more on your PC, then your doing it wrong.
-----
OP,
The main reason is ease of use. A console is a plug-in and play device, while a computer needs to be tweeked for optimal preformance & graphics. Most people lack the knowledge to do this and end up paying a lot more for a "gaming" PC then most others do or just buying a console since they know it will work with no settings changes or tweeking required.

Looking at how many keep asking for Steam to add a "system check" for exapmle, too. The don't know anything about their own PC and don't even want to try and learn the basics.

Other then that, exlusives, like bloodraven43 said. People get attatched to a game series and want to keep playing, reguardless of what system it is on.
#Kawai from da womb 2 da tomb Feb 25, 2013 @ 1:06pm 
I bought my Xbox 360 because I was addicted to Halo, but Xbox 360 will be one of, if not my very last console, I do most of my gaming on my laptop, so I can bring it over to a friends house and have all of my games there, just as someone would empty a backpack, and put their xbox inside of it with a few games, and system link at a friends house.

They all have their ups and downs, PC is cheaper, and it always will be, but in the end it just comes down to a matter of opinion.
[dirrty]gsharp Feb 25, 2013 @ 1:32pm 
Originally posted by kommandant:
why are people still throwing their money at these outdated toasters? literally i dont understand the logic of it when the price they pay for a console they can upgrade their pc far beyond a console...

Three words -- "Ease of use". My daughters can fire up a game and play with their friends. My wife can fire up Netflix and watch a movie. I can quickly get to ESPN videos and highlights without having to sit and wait for SportsCenter to show up.

Consoles are convenient and easy. They can't replace the multi-purpose PC and were never meant to do so. However, consoles provide many, many forms of entertainment in the living room. That's why we have consoles.
Tito Christmas Feb 25, 2013 @ 1:44pm 
Originally posted by dirrtygsharp:
Originally posted by kommandant:
why are people still throwing their money at these outdated toasters? literally i dont understand the logic of it when the price they pay for a console they can upgrade their pc far beyond a console...

Three words -- "Ease of use". My daughters can fire up a game and play with their friends. My wife can fire up Netflix and watch a movie. I can quickly get to ESPN videos and highlights without having to sit and wait for SportsCenter to show up.

Consoles are convenient and easy. They can't replace the multi-purpose PC and were never meant to do so. However, consoles provide many, many forms of entertainment in the living room. That's why we have consoles.
Indeed.
At the end of the day, they are different machines for different purposes.
People often forget that running games is only one of the things PCs do.
That's one of the reasons why Valve is investing in the Steambox. To try to 'close the gap' between PC, and console, so wherever one chooses to play, whatever one wants to play, you choose to do it on Steam.
[dirrty]gsharp Feb 25, 2013 @ 2:11pm 
...I paid as much for my PC as the PS3 cost when it was released and arund the same time. I can run most new PC games on a combination of medium-high settings with a 50-70 FPS. No upgrading except for a new case and bigger HDD. If you are spending 3X more on your PC, then your doing it wrong

yep medium settings where as the ps3/xbox360 plays these games full detail 1080p...exactly...to play like a console does you need to spend at least 800-1000 bucks on a pc...ps3/xbox360 are 200 bucks on sale...exactly,right...lol

At least on a PC, you could have quoted him properly. (lol)

Go develop code on your console. Go do your taxes on your console. Try taking your console to work and ask your boss if you can use it instead of a PC. Hell, go try doing college homework with your console. Tell us how that goes.

Consoles do a great many things well -- including gaming. They won't ever replace the PC though.
Last edited by [dirrty]gsharp; Feb 25, 2013 @ 2:13pm
bloodraven43 Feb 25, 2013 @ 2:17pm 
heres another thing about consoles....you can buy used games at great prices...cant be done on pc anymore...also gamestop you buy preowed games and bring them back within 7 days,you can pick out brand new preowed games and pay one price and play forever...i wouldnt do that but theres plenty that do...thats another reason why people like consoles other then the exclusives per platform.
[dirrty]gsharp Feb 25, 2013 @ 2:20pm 
heres another thing about consoles....you can buy used games at great prices...cant be done on pc anymore...also gamestop you buy preowed games and bring them back within 7 days,you can pick out brand new preowed games and pay one price and play forever...i wouldnt do that but theres plenty that do...thats another reason why people like consoles other then the exclusives per platform.

Now THAT is a great point. With the exception of GMG, I don't know of a PC digital distributor who allows users to trade in games.
Tito Christmas Feb 25, 2013 @ 2:47pm 
And Publishers are trying their best at trying to change that...
But so far the sound of console players taking the pitchforks and torches ath the mere hint of that happening has stopped them. (They hinted at doing that for PS4... and they almost were eaten alive)
Last edited by Tito Christmas; Feb 25, 2013 @ 2:47pm
Spawn of Totoro Feb 25, 2013 @ 2:57pm 
yep medium settings where as the ps3/xbox360 plays these games full detail 1080p...exactly...to play like a console does you need to spend at least 800-1000 bucks on a pc...ps3/xbox360 are 200 bucks on sale...exactly,right...lol

No, My $600 PC played them at high settings when I firs got it and now a combination of med+high at the same frame rate and my native res. of 1680x1050.

Like ot skip words much? I have no idea how you came up with medium settings when I said medium-high earlyer.

Helps to build your own PC and not buy a magic box. You may learn something from doing so one day.

And the money was compaired to PS3 reases when I build my PC. PS3 was $600 at release.
-----

Nope, I can but PC games at great prices all the time. Don't have to worry about used games, scratched disks or shady sales people.

You may get a new game for $5 less then new at release, I get it for as much as %50 off on release, brand new.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Feb 25, 2013 @ 3:00pm
bloodraven43 Feb 25, 2013 @ 3:00pm 
dont get me wrong...pc gaming has more eyecandy,plays better at even higher res,plays in dx11 with is awesome...and i just luv my beast sitting on the floor next to me.its the size of a small pitbull...lol...but games like uncharted,halo,god of war,gears of war and many others need to be played or your like missing out imho...or your not a hardcore gamer like myself...or should i say game junkie...lmao
Spawn of Totoro Feb 25, 2013 @ 3:02pm 
dont get me wrong...pc gaming has more eyecandy,plays better at even higher res,plays in dx11 with is awesome...and i just luv my beast sitting on the floor next to me.its the size of a small pitbull...lol...but games like uncharted,halo,god of war,gears of war and many others need to be played or your like missing out imho...or your not a hardcore gamer like myself...or should i say game junkie...lmao

I played them a few times....Same old gameplay and style all the time. Same concept game after game. Got boared. No variety.
bloodraven43 Feb 25, 2013 @ 3:06pm 
heres my specs
asus maximus formula v z77 board
i7 3770k oc@4.6 mhz
16gb gskill xmp ram
evga 680 ftw 4gb card
win 7 pro
bluray burner
in win dragonrider case
thermaltake 1200 watt grand psu
2x500 gb raptors in raid 0
128gb ssd for isr

i know how to build them and i choose to have the trilogy in my possession...lol
Last edited by bloodraven43; Feb 25, 2013 @ 3:06pm
[dirrty]gsharp Feb 25, 2013 @ 3:18pm 
heres my specs
asus maximus formula v z77 board
i7 3770k oc@4.6 mhz
16gb gskill xmp ram
evga 680 ftw 4gb card
win 7 pro
bluray burner
in win dragonrider case
thermaltake 1200 watt grand psu
2x500 gb raptors in raid 0
128gb ssd for isr

i know how to build them and i choose to have the trilogy in my possession...lol

Are we supposed to be impressed or something? Nobody asked you for your specs. Why are you flaunting them like you built something special? (you didn't)

This was a thread about consoles yet you jump in with some nonsense about consoles ruling over PCs or some rubbish.
Showing 1-15 of 70 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 24, 2013 @ 10:45pm