Sir Faulty Feb 16, 2013 @ 11:39pm
The mute protagonist and hopefull eventual return of Gordon Freeman
I just finished Dead Space for the first time yesterday and it got me thinking about the characters we inhabit when playing games. I thoroughly enjoyed the game but it bothered me to no end that the hero, Isaac Clarke, developed no personality whatsoever over the course of the horrifying events.

This was understandable a few years back as the core demographic didn't really want personality to go with their FPS's but as gaming starts to finally grow up (just look at the some of the serious adult themes The Walking Dead: Season 1 embraces) I found it really difficult to rally around Isaasc in the days and age of Commander Sheppard and Etzio Auditore - two great examples of fully fleshed out and relatable characters.

My question is will Gordon Freeman still even be valid should he finally make a return in 3 and still be mute? Gaming has moved on ten-fold since HL2 debuted. I really hope that if Valve ever releases a sequel this is something they seriously consider revising. Of course no body wants Gordon Freeman reduced to a John McClane Die Hard throw away action hero with cornball quips that induces cringes. That would be a travesty! But we know Valve is smarter than that :)

Anyone else still feel a mute Gordon Freeman is valid in 2013 and going forward?
Last edited by Sir Faulty; Feb 17, 2013 @ 6:15am
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
[dirrty]gsharp Feb 16, 2013 @ 11:51pm 
You lost me at "Gordan" ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Freeman

and no, they cannot, CANNOT make him speak. That would ruin EVERYTHING. There isn't a man on this planet who could possibly fill Mr. Freeman's boots. NONE.
Sir Faulty Feb 17, 2013 @ 12:08am 
fixed the typos to the name : ) thanks
[dirrty]gsharp Feb 17, 2013 @ 12:12am 
Originally posted by stefarooh:
fixed the typos to the name : ) thanks

If Mr. Freeman could speak, who would he sound like?
Zefar Feb 17, 2013 @ 1:24am 
If Valve made Gordon speak they would make it good. It's not like they got a bad history of making bad characters.
Sir Faulty Feb 17, 2013 @ 1:54am 
I think Gordon should sound like Morgan Freeman... wise and intelligent from just listening to his voice. The voice of a person who has seen and done many things
BitmapBrother Feb 17, 2013 @ 4:10am 
No I think valve are smart enough to not follow in the footsteps of Bioware
Tito Christmas Feb 17, 2013 @ 6:04am 
Characters like Gordon Freeman, Chell, Big Daddy and such, behave in that way to offer the player a 'Tabula Rasa' to project themselves in.
If you start adding character traits, dialogues, and personalities, the player cannot inmerse so much in the character.
The more the character is a empty shell, the more i can place myself in it's place, the more i'm 'into' the game and tha story.
The more filled the character is, the less space for me to get 'into' him, the less i'm 'into' the game, the more i'm just 'playing' the game.

It's not rocket science, storytelling has been using that characteristic since ages. Valve is not going to drop it aside for future games. Whatever personality they fit into Gordon, whatever voice they give him... It will spoil the character, because it will be no longer 'your' Gordon Freeman.
Sir Faulty Feb 17, 2013 @ 6:17am 
I always though one of gaming strongest drawcards is that it offered you a chance to be someone else for a short period.
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 16, 2013 @ 11:39pm