JOLLE May 23, 2013 @ 11:20am
What do you think about the trading cards/update?
I like it very much! Its simple & basic + easy to use! It has lots of cool features such as the badges, and u can customize the background and such!
This community (profile) update is amazing. But if they could add alot more games to get badges from it would be fantastic.

Keep up the good work valve/steam!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
pepers May 23, 2013 @ 11:24am 
I don't think I play any games that have trading cards, and thus don't have any / know where to get any cards. Basically nothing has changed for me, but I can see how it could be fun.
Will be cool once they add way more games :alyx:
I don't dig the whole, you must buy or sell community made item. Other than that, eh it's ok.
Robin Bobin Barabek May 23, 2013 @ 11:34am 
Interesting =)
Kree May 23, 2013 @ 11:47am 
Originally posted by iPeppers:
I don't think I play any games that have trading cards, and thus don't have any / know where to get any cards. Basically nothing has changed for me, but I can see how it could be fun.
It looks like it's mostly with Valve games. It may not be limited to this, but DOTA 2, Portal 2, Half-Life 2, and Team Fortress 2 all have cards associated with the games. If you are really desperate, for whatever reason, it looks like you can purchase these cards on the Market Place.
Varcarus™ May 23, 2013 @ 12:00pm 
All I know is that it's spamming this section up...

Valve/MODS need to do something to prevent this...
Doomy4Life May 23, 2013 @ 12:13pm 
Well.... Since you asked.... I dont much care for it.... The way I see it its a scam Valve made to gain more $$. Lemme explane. First you only get a limited drop. 1/2 of an entire set. That means right off the bat your chance of collecting everything by yourself is 0 so you have to rely on other means. What are other means?? Well you could try and trade away cards from games you dont care about for cards you need but heres the problem, most of the people in the steam trading forums are greedy little men who will ask you to give more than what you get just cuz YOU need the cards and THEY DONT. Yes there are some who is willing to trade 1:1 if you have cards they are looking for but they are few and far between. The only other method of getting the cards is by buying them in the Steam Market. Whats the problem with that you may ask?? Well valve gets 10% (IIRC) of every sale made in the market. Which is what they are ultimately hoping youd do. I mean its faster than trying to get a good trade and depending on when you buy them they could be real cheap. But heres the thing tho. Each normal badge you make has 5 Lvs. The average # of cards you need per badge we have seen so far is 8. That means you need 40 cards in total to make a full Lv 5 badge for one game. Now not counting the 4 you got for free, you need 36 more cards. When writing this the market is selling normal cards for about $0.80 each. That means youll be spending $28.80 for VIRTUAL CARDS AND A VIRTUAL BADGE!! Why?? Cuz we love collecting and Valve knows that. GG Valve, GG.

TL/DR: Its a ploy by Valve to make more $$ by making us buy from the Steam Market
Last edited by Doomy4Life; May 23, 2013 @ 12:14pm
Lord Grarl May 23, 2013 @ 12:18pm 
I like it, at least I think it is an interesting way to get people to play different games...
Kriller May 23, 2013 @ 12:33pm 
I haven't gotten too much into it yet, but it looks really interesting
WALLMAN May 23, 2013 @ 12:44pm 
Why yes, I am enjoying this new system of having money thrown at me. :p2chell:
LieutenantClone May 23, 2013 @ 4:36pm 
I think its a neat concept. Of course there will be the haters but its not like anyone is being forced to use it. Don't like it? Don't use it! :)
Wolfman-RIP May 23, 2013 @ 5:06pm 
I think it's completely wrong in its current form.

If you own a game and all its dlcs and expansions you should get a full set of cards equal to the cards needed to complete that badge. Currently you only get half the cards needed for any one game bagde which means you need the cards from 2 or more people to complete your badge.

The game badges go up to level 5 which means you will need the cards of at least 9 other people leaving them with no way to ever complete their badges.

Trying to trade for the cards requires having something the person wants. Normally this is a game or 2 cards or other items that in some form you payed for to obtain. In the end the only people leveling their profiles up will be doing it by blowing vast amounts of money on cards.

Steam profile levels should be based on your gaming habits, game achievments and game collection not blowing money on a card system then will benefit only half of steam users at best.
LambdaFish May 23, 2013 @ 5:33pm 
I think in order to succeed, Valve needs to put in a way for player to "earn" cards without paying for them. This is how good free-to-play models work, and not having the option for non paying players to get into the meat of the idea, the idea won't work very well
JOLLE May 23, 2013 @ 10:34pm 
Nice opinions guys, I enjoy reading them!
Melonasmouche May 23, 2013 @ 10:37pm 
Cool!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: May 23, 2013 @ 11:20am