-|350|- Apr 2, 2013 @ 3:53pm
Steambox: his or my idea?
Hi, i've been running with a doubt lately, specialy about who had the idea about Steambox, if it was me or Gabe Newell.

It sounds selfish and you may or may not believe while you are reading this, but there is a good chance that Gabe took all the details about my suggestions about Portal 2 ads and the creation of Steambox, and simply copy and paste to the guys at Valve to work on it, oh, and no, no replies from him.

So to avoid any fuss about it, yes, i'm aware that by sending suggestions through his personal e-mail already means that i can't claim the idea anymore, can't claim profit that was generated by my suggestion, and i know i'm not the only one who sends suggestion and there is a chance that someone send a similar suggestion.

Thing is: Until now i've not seen anyone claiming that him/her suggestion was the idealization with all the details about Steambox, not on the level that happened to me, the similiraty to my suggestion and what happened to the Portal 2 ads and creation of Steambox is ABSURD, so that's why i've created a short document in word concerning in two pages both suggestions, where on the left column is what i suggested and on the right column is what Gabe did.

Document: http://www.datafilehost.com/download-5bea1c2c.html

Yes, i've send my suggestions way before things actually started to happen in Valve, there is screenshots of the e-mails that i've sent on the third page, and i also have the html outlook document proving that i'm the one that send it.

So, to clarify this question if it was me or his idea i want to know if anyone can prove that send a suggestion like mine before i did(24/04/11) with a higher level of detail. That's the only way to know the truth.

And another detail that make me wonder was that the possibility that they were doing the project undercover doesn't make sense, because i've send a suggestion on the beggining of 2011 and they were starting to look for partners to begin this project only in 2012.

If you think i'm nuts or just wanting to look badass, read the document and take your own conclusions, the coincidences are too much, i've never seen anything like it.
Showing 1-15 of 41 comments
< >
NYPD Apr 2, 2013 @ 4:07pm 
I fell srry 4 u. people shouldnt steal anyones ideas. I hope someone comes and tell the truth. good luck!
Spawn of Totoro Apr 2, 2013 @ 4:18pm 
Your idea and the steam box are two diffrent things. Steambox is Steam being ran on a Linux distro, not it's own OS. The Piston will be shipped with windows. The real Steambox will be a local cloud gaming system, able to connect to several TVs and allow each to play a diffrent game. Kind of like OnLive, but done localy and not over the internet.

I see no proof or e-mails of anything. Just a lot of quotes.

The portal gun was designed long before this too.

Looks more like you are trying to steal Valve's idea then it is them taking yours.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Apr 2, 2013 @ 4:20pm
-|350|- Apr 2, 2013 @ 4:21pm 
Originally posted by Spawn of Totoro:
Your idea and the steam box are two diffrent things. Steambox is Steam being ran on a Linux distro, not it's own OS. The Piston will be shipped with windows. The real Steambox will be a local cloud gaming system, able to connect to several TVs and allow each to play a diffrent game. Kind of like OnLive, but done localy and not over the internet.

Well, if you read my document, you will find out that it was what i suggested, Steambox using a free OS, running Steam above it.
Dreakon Apr 2, 2013 @ 4:25pm 
Originally posted by -|350|-:
Well, if you read my document, you will find out that it was what i suggested, Steambox using a free OS, running Steam above it.
If that is what you suggested... and I refuse to read any more than this... it doesn't sound like a particularly original idea.

A PC-like device using a free operating system AND running Steam?! Blasphemy![appdb.winehq.org]
Last edited by Dreakon; Apr 2, 2013 @ 4:26pm
-|350|- Apr 2, 2013 @ 4:27pm 
I see no proof or e-mails of anything. Just a lot of quotes.

The portal gun was designed long before this too.

Looks more like you are trying to steal Valve's idea then it is them taking yours.

No, if you actually read everything, you will see i wasn't suggesting the gun, i suggest an explanation about half-life 2 universe devices, including the Portal Gun, which i did a sketch and an explanation about the internal parts, so what you're saying shows that you didn't even read it. Not to mention that the e-mail screenshots containing the full suggestion from which i've taken the quotes are on the third page.
Spawn of Totoro Apr 2, 2013 @ 4:29pm 

Second suggestion – May 24, 2011

“I will discuss a topic involving valve, game sectors worldwide and OS's.”

“I don't know why you people didn't consider yet the potential of Steam, i just don't understand how you people run this unique management software for such a long time and didn't thought of upgrading steam into an OS/Software/Console style platform.”

“…i'm talking about Directx/OpenGl tech. Everybody didn't gone to mac's and linux/unix based systems yet because of Directx and drivers compatibility.”

“…then how you people will upgrade steam into a brand new OS focussed on gamers? AMD is the answer.(…) They are the only tech company in the world who have both CPU/GPU tech on their hands, low pricing policy and just waiting the right partner to do a big deal…(…)They have money, people, and market to release a fresh new OS and a new tech platform for games that is able to compete directly with Directx.(…) they don't have an advanced knowledge on OS-native-software interacting in their past, how they are going to do this?(…) Then YOU enter as the helping hand/partner.”

“Steam already have a chat system, store, web browser, and fool-proof game management. For becaming an OS for gamers it just need some big partner to put their hands dirt and improve this program to a new scale. What this would be turned into? A whole new generation of PC platform would come, an AMD/ATI computer designed with a new OS concept that would bring a cheap and simplified way for people who want a pc for games and a few other media/text applications…”

“Cheap, Stable and in constant upgrade (not a console who have overpriced hardware, expensive games and only have new versions when the manufacturer decides).”

“…you'll have the main functions for gaming(which i believe will hit hard consoles) plus the functions from the tablet on a new gen pc. No more expensive driver signature to developers, not to mention that it could be an open source system(even better to low costs). Don't you people see how atractive this OS could be with a not so absurd investment?”
-----

Nope. You are always stating Steam as the OS. Not using another OS.

Your idea seems about a Steam OS, not a "Steambox" at all. Just a "OS/Software/Console style platform".
-|350|- Apr 2, 2013 @ 4:30pm 
Originally posted by Dreakon:
If that is what you suggested... and I refuse to read any more than this... it doesn't sound like a particularly original idea.

A PC-like device using a free operating system AND running Steam?! Blasphemy![appdb.winehq.org]

I don't even know why are you mad, because that's exactly what Steambox is going to be.
You're free to have your opinion, but saying that my idea wasn't original suggests you're not reading the news, because everyone say Steambox, is a very good idea.
Spawn of Totoro Apr 2, 2013 @ 4:31pm 
No, if you actually read everything, you will see i wasn't suggesting the gun, i suggest an explanation about half-life 2 universe devices, including the Portal Gun, which i did a sketch and an explanation about the internal parts, so what you're saying shows that you didn't even read it. Not to mention that the e-mail screenshots containing the full suggestion from which i've taken the quotes are on the third page.

Doesn't matter. You ar obviously trying to take credit for someone elses idea. I'm sure Valve has copies of e-mails reguarding a Steambox dating back a lot farther then this "evidence".
-|350|- Apr 2, 2013 @ 4:32pm 

Second suggestion – May 24, 2011

“I will discuss a topic involving valve, game sectors worldwide and OS's.”

“I don't know why you people didn't consider yet the potential of Steam, i just don't understand how you people run this unique management software for such a long time and didn't thought of upgrading steam into an OS/Software/Console style platform.”

“…i'm talking about Directx/OpenGl tech. Everybody didn't gone to mac's and linux/unix based systems yet because of Directx and drivers compatibility.”

“…then how you people will upgrade steam into a brand new OS focussed on gamers? AMD is the answer.(…) They are the only tech company in the world who have both CPU/GPU tech on their hands, low pricing policy and just waiting the right partner to do a big deal…(…)They have money, people, and market to release a fresh new OS and a new tech platform for games that is able to compete directly with Directx.(…) they don't have an advanced knowledge on OS-native-software interacting in their past, how they are going to do this?(…) Then YOU enter as the helping hand/partner.”

“Steam already have a chat system, store, web browser, and fool-proof game management. For becaming an OS for gamers it just need some big partner to put their hands dirt and improve this program to a new scale. What this would be turned into? A whole new generation of PC platform would come, an AMD/ATI computer designed with a new OS concept that would bring a cheap and simplified way for people who want a pc for games and a few other media/text applications…”

“Cheap, Stable and in constant upgrade (not a console who have overpriced hardware, expensive games and only have new versions when the manufacturer decides).”

“…you'll have the main functions for gaming(which i believe will hit hard consoles) plus the functions from the tablet on a new gen pc. No more expensive driver signature to developers, not to mention that it could be an open source system(even better to low costs). Don't you people see how atractive this OS could be with a not so absurd investment?”
-----

Nope. You are always stating Steam as the OS. Not using another OS.

Your idea seems about a Steam OS, not a "Steambox" at all. Just a "OS/Software/Console style platform".

You've just missed the last part: "No more expensive driver signature to developers, not to mention that it could be an open source system(even better to low costs)."
-|350|- Apr 2, 2013 @ 4:33pm 

Doesn't matter. You ar obviously trying to take credit for someone elses idea. I'm sure Valve has copies of e-mails reguarding a Steambox dating back a lot farther then this "evidence".
If you are so worried, why don't ask then to give you proof about what you're saying instead of saying stuff you don't even know its real?
-|350|- Apr 2, 2013 @ 4:40pm 
Originally posted by Zombiekiller3148:
I fell srry 4 u. people shouldnt steal anyones ideas. I hope someone comes and tell the truth. good luck!

I appreciate your support. Thanks!
V10Club Apr 2, 2013 @ 4:56pm 
Yes Valve has 200 or so of the smartest people in the industry working for them and they took your idea. It definitely wasn't something they've been working on for a long time now.

Good thread, 10/10
Last edited by V10Club; Apr 2, 2013 @ 4:56pm
Julia Apr 2, 2013 @ 4:57pm 
Originally posted by Zombiekiller3148:

I sincerely hope you were trolling that little kid, 350.
-|350|- Apr 2, 2013 @ 5:01pm 
Originally posted by TenClub - Messi:
Yes Valve has 200 or so of the smartest people in the industry working for them and they took your idea. It definitely wasn't something they've been working on for a long time now.

Good thread, 10/10

I wouldn't go with that, they pretty much done anything else on the last years then working on this Steambox and updates for his games and Steam, and people are still waiting for HL2EP3, so people may say they are top notch, it may look like, but if you look closely they're pretty common.
And why Gabe Newell would open a personal e-mail for suggestions? just for fun? I don't believe so.
-|350|- Apr 2, 2013 @ 5:02pm 
Originally posted by JonahD:

I sincerely hope you were trolling that little kid, 350.

I sincerely appreciate your sense of humor, this thread is kind of tense lately.
Showing 1-15 of 41 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 2, 2013 @ 3:53pm