army4god Mar 27, 2013 @ 8:37am
Steam is becoming overrun with terrible games.
I do not know if it is due to greenlight or what but I used to come here and browse through the store to find various new games to play. The selection was usually full of big name games from well established companies. Now I see nothing but garbage and have to work to find anything worth playing. What has happened to steam?
Showing 1-15 of 105 comments
< >
flemhein Mar 27, 2013 @ 8:46am 
i say the same
Satoru Mar 27, 2013 @ 9:09am 
And feel free to browse through any other store for PC gaming and let me know if the selection is 'better'.
Tito Shivan Mar 27, 2013 @ 9:24am 
I wonder what's OP definition of "terrible games"
And i believe i already know it...

In any case, a man's trash is another man's treasure.
It would be really boring if everybody liked the same games.
army4god Mar 27, 2013 @ 9:32am 
You guys should probably put your money where your mouth is and buy up all these low budget indie games. You won't of course, becuase they are exactly what I said, garbage. Don't worry though, Steam is with you apparently. Meanwhile Amazon is quickly becoming the best place to buy games.
Originally posted by army4god:
Meanwhile Amazon is quickly becoming the best place to buy games.

have to work to find anything worth playing.

I dono man, I have trouble finding stuff on amazon, I have to surf through millions of products that aren't games! It's pretty difficult, sooooooooo much work, I've never heard of browsing before.
Last edited by ­­­­­­Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel; Mar 27, 2013 @ 9:38am
[KL] Master Dan [StormCats] Mar 27, 2013 @ 9:42am 
There aren't that many good games out there. Bethesda seem to have a good recipe. Looking glass Studios were good. Relic Entertainment, not bad with the Dawn of war RTS...GSC's STALKER was quite good..Bioshock 1 and 2 was good before that American patriotic bull ♥♥♥♥ third release killed it off..
Apart from a tiny few more not come to mind just now,, all the rest inbetween are not really worth spending your money on. I personally buy a few games a year, IF THAT.... Because only a VERY few games a year are actually worth buying and playing. Sometimes it takes longer than a year. Popularity and good quality are two VERY DIFFERENT aspects.I agree with the OP.

Whatever games you can get in stores you'll most most most likely find them on here too. As for good games...very few and far between. Skyrim has been the only decent game to come out recently, that's it...TF2 or DOTA2 May be popular games but as for them being
'good games'?.LOL..NO..they are just a waste of time and brain cells, and make for a scammers' playground.

Patience is key to buying games. Wait a good year so as to give time for bugs to be fixed and prices to come down to more reasonable values...sit back wait for all the hype to fade, then pick your game...
Last edited by [KL] Master Dan [StormCats]; Mar 27, 2013 @ 2:07pm
Satoru Mar 27, 2013 @ 10:14am 
You guys should probably put your money where your mouth is and buy up all these low budget indie games.

Feel free to look at titles like

Swords and Sworcery
Dungeons of Dreadmor
Legend of Grimrock
Don't Starve
AntiChamber
Dead Light
Mark of the Ninja

You won't of course, becuase they are exactly what I said, garbage. Don't worry though, Steam is with you apparently. Meanwhile Amazon is quickly becoming the best place to buy games.

Again most games available on Steam are available for purchase on other platforms.

And if you look on Amazon, which I frequent and purchase from often, it's nto much 'better' in terms of finding games you want. Unless I know "Game A is on sale for X" it's pretty hard to find that info on the Amazon site cold.

You'r enot actually defining what's 'wrong'.
Last edited by Satoru; Mar 27, 2013 @ 10:19am
Tito Shivan Mar 27, 2013 @ 11:27am 
You guys should probably put your money where your mouth is and buy up all these low budget indie games. You won't of course, becuase they are exactly what I said, garbage. Don't worry though, Steam is with you apparently. Meanwhile Amazon is quickly becoming the best place to buy games.
Funny you didn't take a second to look our games libraries.

Braid, Dustforce, Limbo, Super Meat Boy, Blocks That Matter, Chime, Cogs, Lightfish, Lucid, QUBE, Solar 2, Spacechem, Splice, World of Goo, Waveform, Toki Tori, The baconing, Bastion, Cave Story, Dungeons of Dredmor, Anna, Atom Zombie Smasher, Audiosurf, AVSeq, The Basement Collection, Beat Hazard, The Binding of Isaac, Botanicula, Cargo commander, Closure, Critical Mass, Dead Pixels, Dear Esther, Bientot l'ete, DEFCON, EDGE, Eufloria, Foreign Legion, FTL, Half Minute Hero, Gish, Hammerfight, Home, Jamestown, Little Inferno, Lone Survivor, Machinarium, Nightsky, Osmos, The Path, Plain Sight, Polynomial, Revenge of the Titans, Titan Attacks, Scratches, Shatter, Snapshot, SPAZ, Swords & Soldiers, Steel Storm, Trauma, Universe Sandbox, Uplink, Vertex Dispenser, The Void, VVVVVV, Xotic, Zen Bound, And Yet it Moves...

So, i guess my money IS where my mouth is.
Stop judging a book by it's cover. There's a world inside that 'garbage' if you try to put aside your prejudices.
Last edited by Tito Shivan; Mar 27, 2013 @ 11:29am
­­­­­­Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel Mar 27, 2013 @ 12:05pm 
Originally posted by Master Dan:
Skyrim has been the only decent game to come out recently, that's it...

The only thing good about skyrim is the graphics. Story was crap, polish didn't exist, boring mundane content, and repetitive dungeons. I rather go play Morrowind.
Last edited by ­­­­­­Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel; Mar 27, 2013 @ 12:06pm
L-r | Canti Mar 27, 2013 @ 12:10pm 
I love how some people actually believe that their interpretation of the value of a game is the same throughout the world :). Crazy kids...
Julia Mar 27, 2013 @ 12:15pm 
You guys should probably put your money where your mouth is and buy up all these low budget indie games.

We do. I've got Castle Crashers, Bastion, Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, Guns of Icarus Online, Garry's Mod, Terraria, Don't Starve, and Ace of Spades (though I don't really like AoS much anymore). And I'm soon going to buy Amnesia: The Dark Descent, the Trine collection, and possibly Miner Wars 2081. So what was your point again?
Last edited by Julia; Mar 27, 2013 @ 12:26pm
JamesID80 Mar 27, 2013 @ 12:42pm 
There are some good games, But some games are reclas and kinda crappy, Which Steam needs to put more awesome games into action, Otherwise this will be another crappy whole :P
[KL] Master Dan [StormCats] Mar 27, 2013 @ 2:22pm 
I'd like to see some actual quality coming out, and depth, like Bethesda's games for example, and even Bethesda have dents in their quality finish..but not as much as others.

Games that are just being packaged for the kids is becoming tedious to keep sifting out. And when I'm finished sifting out all the silly crap, I find there is not much left.

It's obviously my opinion, but games like Deus-Ex, Mass Effect or Assassin's creed, Elder Scrolls, games that are, well, decent..not just daft run-arounds that you just point and shoot all day long (mmo) (team-mmo)..<sigh>...

You need a lot of patience nowadays to wait long enough for the better games to come out.

Good Game:
  • Engaging, unpredictable AI behaviours, alternative reactions, written into the game, from player's actions,
  • Deep, objective, branching of missions with twists based on your actions during the 'mission/Quest',
  • Great Visuals, aesthetics as well of graphics quality,
  • ORIGINAL storylines, not predictable, like: 'Oh we have to chase him and kill him for the documents'..<Yawn>,
  • Hud display, Inventory, Pause menu layout Ergonomics (with out easy to use interface, the game is dead in the water before you've played it).
Not many games I see tick these simple boxes..so it's quite depressing when you leave the store wondering if a good game is EVER going to be made ever again :(
Last edited by [KL] Master Dan [StormCats]; Mar 27, 2013 @ 2:26pm
Originally posted by ;828934724051974601:
-snippy

That's just your preference not a guideline for the industry as a whole. Not every game requires a story to be successful. Not every game requires deep objectives or branching missions with plot twists. Ever heard of puzzle games? Ever heard of sandboxes?
Last edited by ­­­­­­Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel; Mar 27, 2013 @ 2:27pm
[KL] Master Dan [StormCats] Mar 27, 2013 @ 2:31pm 
Ever heard of crosswords, ever heard of puzzle toys? I find a computer game needs to be more immersive than just a logic puzzle. Computer game logic puzzles are the same as real life ones, but with a headache thrown in, from the staring at the same images for long peroids, it feels like I'm trapped in a puzzle with no where to go...nah, not into that. I wouldn't class that as a good game.
Last edited by [KL] Master Dan [StormCats]; Mar 27, 2013 @ 2:32pm
Showing 1-15 of 105 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 27, 2013 @ 8:37am