[dirrty]gsharp Mar 19, 2013 @ 4:49pm
Origin has 40 million users...already?
http://www.gamespot.com/news/origin-crosses-40-million-members-6405580

Following the record-setting SimCity launch, Electronic Art's Origin service has crossed 40 million members, a new milestone for the platform. EA confirmed the new membership figure today, which is up from 39 million at the end of 2012.

This is not the only milestone Origin has reached recently. The service recorded 1.3 million peak concurrent users following the SimCity launch
Showing 1-15 of 50 comments
< >
Τhe Rolling Candy Cane Mar 19, 2013 @ 5:01pm 
I need statistical graphs before I can believe a word from EA. They are bunch of liars out to please only the stockholders as far as I'm concerned.
Last edited by Τhe Rolling Candy Cane; Mar 19, 2013 @ 5:02pm
Satoru Mar 19, 2013 @ 7:10pm 
Originally posted by The Rolling Cheese:
I need statistical graphs before I can believe a word from EA. They are bunch of liars out to please only the stockholders as far as I'm concerned.

Not sure why you think they're lying it's not really something you need to lie about really. And it would be fairly easy to find such data.

Total number of users isn't really a relevant statistic anyway. The more interesting data is total concurrent users which gives you a much better idea as to how mcuh the service is actually being used. 1.8 million isn't bad but it could be a temporary peak and not somethign that's really sustained.
[dirrty]gsharp Mar 19, 2013 @ 7:38pm 
Originally posted by TheBDK:
It's because Origin is awesome and it actually works.

Let's save the crazy talk for Help and Tips, ok?
Satoru Mar 19, 2013 @ 7:51pm 
Originally posted by dirrtygsharp:
Originally posted by TheBDK:
It's because Origin is awesome and it actually works.

Well I mean Origin does everything Steam does. If you look at Steam about 3-4 years ago. It downloads your game. Patches it. And that's pretty much it. For what it DOES it does it well.

Steam's advantages are Steamworks and all the other features like game and item trading. And until Origin gets out it's Origin-works or whatever the heck they want to call it, it's never going to be even close to Steam's developer friendliness.
[dirrty]gsharp Mar 19, 2013 @ 8:15pm 
Originally posted by Satoru:
Originally posted by dirrtygsharp:

Well I mean Origin does everything Steam does. If you look at Steam about 3-4 years ago. It downloads your game. Patches it. And that's pretty much it. For what it DOES it does it well.

It might be interesting to watch. Steam could use a kick in the ♥♥♥. Origin did 40 mil users in two years. TWO YEARS. I'd post some side-by-side comparisons with Steam but don't want you biting my head off. :P

Satoru Mar 19, 2013 @ 8:31pm 
The 40 mill could be other factors. For example since forums are linked to origin, to post in the forums you need an 'Origin' account. So you could get to 40 million but the numbers might not mean what you think. Hell some people created accounts just to get the 'free games' Origin was giving out with their faulty $20 coupon.

Also Steam basically started the whole thing and back in CS1.6 going from WoN to Steam was like a mini-revolt. And 'digital distribution' wasn't even a corporate abused buzz word. So how fast one service got to that 40 million mark isn't all that relevant.

To me that's why the concurrent users is more interesting since it shows ACTIVE users on the service. Ergo who's actually using the service. Given that Steam skirts about 5 million peak, and is failry consistent with that number, Origin still has a long way to go if the Sim launch generated a 1.3 million peak that is unlikely to be sustainable.
Last edited by Satoru; Mar 19, 2013 @ 8:40pm
Lostedge Mar 20, 2013 @ 2:24am 
This means they probably have 40mil registered accounts that has one of their games. I have their games, but I seldom use Origin. Last time was 6 month ago.
Julia Mar 20, 2013 @ 6:47am 
Let me fix that title for you.
"Origin forced 40 million into their service... already?" :P
Spawn of Totoro Mar 20, 2013 @ 6:50am 
I've only bought 4 games on Origin, though I have several more. Origin got the keys from the installed Steam versions and addded them on it's own.

Origin isn't too bad. EA is the main issue. Still prefer Steam over Origin, but a game going for cheap on sale is still a game on sale, reguardless of what retailer it is.
Zukabazuka Mar 20, 2013 @ 7:37am 
Originally posted by JonahD:
Let me fix that title for you.
"Origin forced 40 million into their service... already?" :P
"Steam forced 40million into their service" Yeah so did Valve with steam.
Julia Mar 20, 2013 @ 8:22am 
I wasn't saying Valve was any better, was I?
Nya` Mar 20, 2013 @ 9:32am 
That 40 million is without a doubt a number produced and factoring in previous EA store accounts with purchases and so on which automatically have become origin accounts. I haven't used the EA store in 4 years or more but it had no issues with converting that into an Origin account. They didn't get there because they started with 0 users when the service launched, they just converted everything.
Last edited by Nya`; Mar 20, 2013 @ 9:33am
The Gerbil Mar 20, 2013 @ 9:33am 
I'd like to point out that I have an Origin account, although I've never logged in or purchased anything from them. If I remember correctly, I signed up with some connection to my Battlefield 3 account from Xbox 360...link the Battlelog or something?
Nya` Mar 20, 2013 @ 9:34am 
Originally posted by The Gerbil:
I'd like to point out that I have an Origin account, although I've never logged in or purchased anything from them. If I remember correctly, I signed up with some connection to my Battlefield 3 account from Xbox 360...link the Battlelog or something?
That is another thing too, they are artificially boosting their user base figures.
Last edited by Nya`; Mar 20, 2013 @ 9:34am
EnduringArts Mar 20, 2013 @ 3:01pm 
I have Origin, it's a BF3 player and a crappy one at that...
Showing 1-15 of 50 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 19, 2013 @ 4:49pm