Zpirky Nov 17, 2014 @ 6:53pm
A lot of scammers out there!
Guys,

Do not click on any links that are shared to you by random "friends" or not-friends. Links like "screenshot" can be a trick.

I got something like this "hahah look at this bro, really funny http://prtn-screen.com/screenshot888.png"

Never EVER click on that ******* LINK!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
Spawn of Totoro Nov 17, 2014 @ 7:16pm 
It isn't a lot of scammers. It is a virus that is sending the message to everyone in ones friends list when the user gets infected.
Zpirky Nov 17, 2014 @ 7:17pm 
So they aren't able to steal my account when i clicked on it?
Spawn of Totoro Nov 17, 2014 @ 7:21pm 
Originally posted by Colt3n Twitch.tv/OfficialColt3n:

Depends. Some steal your saved Steam information. Some run a script transfering all your items to another account. Most send the same message to all your friends in an attempt to get more "victums".

I'm just saing it isn't scammers, but a virus using people's friends against them. Using a virus isn't a scam either. This is where the term "hacker" would be a better word to use.
Zpirky Nov 17, 2014 @ 7:37pm 
Originally posted by Spawn of Totoro:

Depends. Some steal your saved Steam information. Some run a script transfering all your items to another account. Most send the same message to all your friends in an attempt to get more "victums".

I'm just saing it isn't scammers, but a virus using people's friends against them. Using a virus isn't a scam either. This is where the term "hacker" would be a better word to use.

True story. Will they be able to steal my account then? I think there should be two-way verification to get access to the account. 1. E-Mail 2. Mobilephone.
Spawn of Totoro Nov 17, 2014 @ 7:40pm 
True story. Will they be able to steal my account then? I think there should be two-way verification to get access to the account. 1. E-Mail 2. Mobilephone.

If you downloaded and ran it, there is a good chance they got your information.

I suggest running an Anti-virus program and an Anti-malware program, then changing your password using a known, clean system.

SteamGuard is a two way verification. However, the virus takes the security file from your system and sends it to the "hacker" to bypass the need for any verification.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Nov 17, 2014 @ 7:41pm
Zpirky Nov 17, 2014 @ 7:41pm 
What's the best anti-virus program for Windows? Is windows defender enough protection? What anti-malware program should i use? Will those 2 softwares crash if they are installed togheter?
Spawn of Totoro Nov 17, 2014 @ 7:43pm 
What's the best anti-virus program for Windows? Is windows defender enough protection? What anti-malware program should i use? Will those 2 softwares crash if they are installed togheter?

Windows defender should be fine, but you need to run a full scan.

Malwarebytes is free to scan and remove. For it's active protection, you would need to pay, but that isn't needed in this case.

Run a scan from one, then the other.
Zpirky Nov 17, 2014 @ 7:58pm 

Windows defender should be fine, but you need to run a full scan.

Malwarebytes is free to scan and remove. For it's active protection, you would need to pay, but that isn't needed in this case.

Run a scan from one, then the other.

Seems like i can't scan with windows defender on my own, or can i?
Spawn of Totoro Nov 17, 2014 @ 8:01pm 

Never used it myself, but this should tell you how to scan with it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/scan-for-spyware-unwanted-software#1TC=windows-7

Zpirky Nov 17, 2014 @ 8:34pm 

Never used it myself, but this should tell you how to scan with it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/scan-for-spyware-unwanted-software#1TC=windows-7

I think im gonna reinstall Windows, feels so unsafe atm. :/

EDIT: Thanks for the link btw!
Last edited by Zpirky; Nov 17, 2014 @ 8:34pm
Jon Lik Nov 18, 2014 @ 1:12pm 
Just happened to me, clicked the link, Malwarebytes deleted it the second i clicked. I bet it's nasty
Zpirky Nov 19, 2014 @ 5:00pm 
That's sad, i will never click on a link again.
794 Nov 20, 2014 @ 2:20pm 
Clicked the link, which opened up a blank page and a file to save. That was a big enough red flag to me, I'll never save a file with that vague a message. I should be fine since I didn't save it.
Zpirky Nov 20, 2014 @ 3:38pm 
Originally posted by 794:
Clicked the link, which opened up a blank page and a file to save. That was a big enough red flag to me, I'll never save a file with that vague a message. I should be fine since I didn't save it.

I hope that a lot more players will see this thread before they're clicking on any links.
Chimera Nov 21, 2014 @ 8:31pm 
I just got one, clicked it and sent me to a Steam "error" page in German. I have no idea if just clicking the link can get you in trouble. But i should have smelled the fish when i saw the link. Watch your backs out there!! --- Ran virus scans and changed my account info and opened a ticket with steam support with the link in it.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Nov 17, 2014 @ 6:53pm