al Feb 12 @ 11:39am
Forum for Steam Tagging Beta
Please leave feedback on the Steam Tagging Beta in the Steam Tagging Beta Forum.
Showing 1-15 of 223 comments
< >
Sin4profit Feb 12 @ 12:29pm 
I assume eventually you'll be able to search your games library via Tags, because the feature seems fairly useless to me without that option.

[Update] After digging around some more i found the, "Your Tags" list under the, "All Tag Recommendations". The "Your Tags" list would serve better as an option under the Library tab and could potentially replace the need for the Custom Category organization.
Last edited by Sin4profit; Feb 12 @ 1:07pm
Black Blade Feb 12 @ 1:13pm 
Thanks al
ViralOmega Feb 12 @ 2:22pm 
Now we can have tags that let people know if its just another "console shooter" or a "PC FPS" for actual fps gamers
StarFrost2 Feb 12 @ 3:08pm 
Yeah, sorting your library by tags would be awesome! I have over 500 games and finding one that looked nice a while ago can be a pain if you don't remeber the name of said game.
Ayon Feb 12 @ 3:19pm 
I don't like the new Tag feature. For one i'd like to search for multiple tags for example "Action + RPG + Open World."

Also, I hate that the community gets to add the tags, because they have no idea. For example: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is NOT a post-apocalyptic game. It just isn't. The world hasn't seen the apocalypse happen in that game, still people tag it as "Post-Apocalypse" because they... I don't even know what they do? Do people think that what happened in and around Chernobyl is a fantasy scenario? Yes it lies about mutations and a lot of other stuff. But still it is not a game set in a post-apocalyptic world. Even [spoiler Alert] Mass Effect would fit the tag "Post-Apocalypse" more than Stalker. This is one of many examples. I just don't think it is right to let the community add tags.

Lastly, Localization is bad. I can only speak for my country (germany) but germans are bad at this. I hate localizations. I love that Steam let's me play games in their foreign language. So is the localization of the client I buy my games from. I don't want to read reviews in german NEITHER do I want tags that are german. The german community is also smaller than the english speaking community which leads to tags that are more easy to force onto games as not as much tags are needed even if they are false.

It ultimately doesn't do what it is supposed to do. Steam needs to be able to sort it's games better so that I easier find games that I might want to play(/buy) and this feature does the opposite. It shows me games I already bought or games that a collective whole thinks I'd like because they think that what they tag it as, applies to it, which it doesn't. Browsing it via the old search is still easier and so I declare the system too flawed. It needs drastic changes.
Last edited by Ayon; Feb 12 @ 3:48pm
Freeza Feb 12 @ 4:30pm 
This needs to be applied to libraries so that we can completely customize the library as we want and add multiiple tags to any game.
Shaidon Feb 12 @ 4:31pm 
Chill Ayon!
Post-Apocalyptic as the game gives the idea the civilization there, ended. And is just one pespective.

Don't allowed yourself to get angry because different people have different points of view. Just ask yourself if the tags, no matter who did it, should have a major impact in your decision to buy the game.
Being emotional means that you are not being reasonable. Besides, life is much more easier if you not take everything too seriously. ; )

I love the tag system. I added some that I consider serious, others funny, and some between.
cooldeepak946 Feb 12 @ 4:37pm 
i cant taged.i cant understand how to tag a games.
Ayon Feb 12 @ 4:42pm 
Originally posted by Shaidon:
Chill Ayon!
Post-Apocalyptic as the game gives the idea the civilization there, ended. And is just one pespective.

Don't allowed yourself to get angry because different people have different points of view. Just ask yourself if the tags, no matter who did it, should have a major impact in your decision to buy the game.
Being emotional means that you are not being reasonable. Besides, life is much more easier if you not take everything too seriously. ; )

I love the tag system. I added some that I consider serious, others funny, and some between.

Where did I state that I am emotional? I just think that the system is bad and doesn't do what it is supposed to and I stated this here featuring some examples.

I am being reasonable and you are not even commenting on what I said. I didn't say it would influence if I buy a game, I said that they are NOT helpflul if you are searching for a game and I provided examples for this. If I am searching for games, that match certain criteria, it is tags that help me find them. On a lot of websites and systems this works perfectly because either the ones putting it up or the system administrative sets the tags. Here the people make the tags and it has a flawed outcome. This here is the discussion area about the tag system which I don't like it. If you do not respect my opinion, then don't but do not assume things you do not know anything about. This is an entirely unbiased opinion and I am not emotionally involved. I just find the system flawed and pointed the flaws out.

The system is here to help people find games they might like. At least the shop aspect of it.

The current search system is BAD and I always wished for tags that would allow me to fully browse the steam library for games I might like without having to wade through thousands of DLC, bad quality games and games which I have no interest in.

If I wanted a game in a Post-Apocalyptic setting and browsed through the games the tag "Post-Apocalyptic" provides and would end up finding games that have no actual "Post-Apocalyptic" setting, why would I browse like that in the first place?!

EDIT: Oh and does the word EXAMPLE ring a bell? It was an example. An example of where the tags work not as intended. An example of many that I could've provided. I can provide more but then I would've postet a lot of text with all but the same information.
Last edited by Ayon; Feb 12 @ 4:52pm
Shaidon Feb 12 @ 4:52pm 
You said "hate" a few times.
And why would you use the tag system to find alike games, if not interested in buy/play such games?

And like I said, perpective! This is like someone that don't agree with a game being labeled as roguelike or RPG, while other prefer too. I myself disagree with genres and labels that some games gets in other sites, and even here on Steam before this BETA tag system. Its the same anyway, made by humans. The difference here is that is made by many, not on the pay roll, wannabe employees. Or by a not annoyed pespective, supporters.
Last edited by Shaidon; Feb 12 @ 4:52pm
Ayon Feb 12 @ 4:59pm 
Originally posted by Shaidon:
You said "hate" a few times.
And why would you use the tag system to find alike games, if not interested in buy/play such games?

I really hate that I am only responsible for what I say but not for what you are able to comprehend. I said:"I didn't say it would influence if I buy a game." So if I have the Steam page of say "Counterstrike Source" open and it would show the "Action" tag, then of course it wouldn't influence my decision to buy this game. It doesn't. It however will be misleading if people tagged said game as "Turn Based Strategy" which would make it show up when searching for "Turn Based Strategy." This system, as was the case with the current search mechanism, doesn't make me want to browse for games at all, because it shows too many unwanted options. A tag system usually simplifies searching. When people however apply tags, then it won't. Rendering the system useless.

Oh. And "hate" doesn't imply that I am emotinally involved it is simply stating that I dislike something just that it is a stronger word than dislike.
Poklamez Feb 13 @ 3:06am 
This is a forum for the tagging beta; Ayon gave his feedback and gets grilled -_-
Please don't act like the tagging system is perfect already. He brought up valid points concerning the tagging system, or at least something he would like to see changed. That's what this forum is for!
I think (and possibly it's what Valve is hoping for) that in a few weeks most wrong tags will be drowned out by a majority of correct tags. I guess it's too soon to say tell whether the tagging system will correct itself.
Black Blade Feb 13 @ 5:07am 
Originally posted by Poklamez:
This is a forum for the tagging beta; Ayon gave his feedback and gets grilled -_-
Please don't act like the tagging system is perfect already. He brought up valid points concerning the tagging system, or at least something he would like to see changed. That's what this forum is for!
I think (and possibly it's what Valve is hoping for) that in a few weeks most wrong tags will be drowned out by a majority of correct tags. I guess it's too soon to say tell whether the tagging system will correct itself.
You do know @al has link to a forum for these.... these is not that forum XD
evilmaster Feb 13 @ 7:16am 
Letting users add their own tags might be a bad idea... How do they plan to prevent idiots from writing tags that are completely wrong or stupid? A predefined list with genres would probably be better, but still not idiot proof.
Murderfini Feb 13 @ 9:22am 
Well the tags are a good idea but badly implemented.
You should by no means give anyone the right to tag games on a public scale. Popular tags will win no matter if they are wrong or right. People WILL write bull! Let someone who is payed do his job right by tagging games or suffer the consequence of getting fired. That person will not screw round.
Sure, let everyone tag the games as they like but only on the private scale and/or on the games they already own.

Tags are a great idea for unifying game types under one banner and should not be left in the hands of the community but someone who listens to the community and the majority voice and filters it out and chooses the right tag/tags.

Devs of steam! Keep the tags (just don't entrust your job to the community).
Showing 1-15 of 223 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 12 @ 11:39am