Why is it allowed to buy greenlight votes with free keys?
It is one of the reasons Steam is becoming a steaming pile of crappy games.
Senast ändrad av Juanfro; 3 sep, 2014 @ 6:17
< >
Visar 1-15 av 17 kommentarer
Satoru 3 sep, 2014 @ 6:49 
So apparently we are supposed to outlaw marketing now?

Because giving keys away is simply a marketing tool. And an effective one. There's nothing wrong with that.
Juanfro 3 sep, 2014 @ 6:57 
Ursprungligen skrivet av Satoru:
So apparently we are supposed to outlaw marketing now?

Because giving keys away is simply a marketing tool. And an effective one. There's nothing wrong with that.
You can use marketing to promote your game, but use it as a mean to get votes in a system created to filter good ideas for games is just dishonest. People will do almost anything to get a free game, even if it is one that they will never play. And in many cases the developer "forgets" to give the keys.

That means that a crappy game can get greenlight just because game hoarders voted it ONLY BECAUSE THEY GOT SOMETHING FREE. Do you seriously think there is nothing wrong with that?
Senast ändrad av Juanfro; 3 sep, 2014 @ 7:00
Juanfro 3 sep, 2014 @ 8:31 
Ursprungligen skrivet av Tatsuya Hiroki (HU):
Also valve doesnt mind it otherwise they would have took action against it by now so calm down

That's the problem. Valve doesn't mind it. Valve allows broken games to be released in their platform and don't take action until a case get too much public notoriety. Valve refuses to curate the crap they sell and then they refuses to give refunds. Valve keeps opening the flood gates to shovelware, bad mobile ports and mediocre games.

Oh and fyi, you only have to make a quick search to find buch of developers who promised free keys, got greenlight and then had a severe case of amnesia about it.

This is not about marketing this is about buying votes. In what context is that honest?
Is that what Greenlight is for? For using votes from hoarders to have a chance to publish a game almost no-one is interested in?
Senast ändrad av Juanfro; 3 sep, 2014 @ 8:58
Juanfro 3 sep, 2014 @ 9:10 
many of these games are actually quite decent such as for instance Gurumin from Mastiff.

That is the point, a game should get greenlight because is a good game, not because someone have bought enought votes to pass it through.

I know there is a lot of crappy games that get into the store and that's why I said this is one of the reasons, I didn't say it was the only reason.

Every time a game gets GL buying votes means that a decent game won't. And you are OK with that?

People ara asking Valve to get rid of GL because it has a los of flaws and it is easily corruptible that's the only logic you need.

PS: "hate on those who are just trying to make a quick buck and have no respect for their customers"

Does that sound familiar to you?
Senast ändrad av Juanfro; 3 sep, 2014 @ 9:12
Juanfro 3 sep, 2014 @ 9:15 
When did I say all promo games are ♥♥♥♥ty?
What I'm saying is that buying votes makes the quality of the game irrelevant.
Senast ändrad av Juanfro; 3 sep, 2014 @ 9:17
If its a bad game, having many people playing it for free can show its "quality" in the reviews.
Free game is still free though :B1: Gotta boost my game count somehow.
Interzone 3 sep, 2014 @ 18:40 
can we just stop with the same old dead horse beating? your not really saying anything new
this are promo tools, whether you agree with it or not
oh and fyi, I got all my promo keys so far so please speak only for yourself, thank you
I think this thread can be locked now. Also valve doesnt mind it otherwise they would have took action against it by now so calm down

Speak for yourself, I wasn't aware of this and I agree the whole thing is seemly. What if Home Depot offered any customers a 10% discount to go online and upvote their in house brand Husky tools regardless if they've used them or not. You think that's ethical?

I've always looked to GreenLight because I assumed that if a game made it through it was because it stood out amongst all others and now I find out developers can buy their way in. What a farce.

Thank you Juanfro, I'll avoid GreenLight from now on since it appears it's nothing but a fraud anyway and Tatsuya, who died and made you internet cop, let the moderators decide if this is beating a dead horse.

Ranko 3 sep, 2014 @ 18:48 
While I find it a bit stupid if that's the ONLY way to get it passed greenlight, I do see it as a decent marketing strategy. Kinda like the steam sales we have all the time, or when they have free weekends, it's all business.
Interzone 3 sep, 2014 @ 18:59 
Ursprungligen skrivet av Malik Blishtar:
While I find it a bit stupid if that's the ONLY way to get it passed greenlight, I do see it as a decent marketing strategy. Kinda like the steam sales we have all the time, or when they have free weekends, it's all business.

It's not a marketing strategy if the person buying the game thinks it was Greenlit on it's own merit. That's called "pulling a fast one".
Ranko 3 sep, 2014 @ 19:02 
Ursprungligen skrivet av Portalist:

It's not a marketing strategy if the person buying the game thinks it was Greenlit on it's own merit. That's called "pulling a fast one".
it's marketing, just like how a game wouldn't sell if it didn't go on sale often.
Interzone 3 sep, 2014 @ 19:11 
it's marketing, just like how a game wouldn't sell if it didn't go on sale often.

Please don't explain marketing to me, I've been marketing products for 26 years and in my industry paying people to "vote up" my products would be considered fraud.
Senast ändrad av Interzone; 3 sep, 2014 @ 19:12
Ranko 3 sep, 2014 @ 19:13 
Ursprungligen skrivet av Portalist:
Please don't explain marketing to me, I've been marketing products for 26 years and in my industry paying people to "vote up" my products would be considered fraud.
google the definition and this could in fact fall under marketing. I also have doubts whenever someone pulls out 20 something years in a specific business suit in a random thread online pardon me for saying so. But I never said it wasn't ethically wrong, legally though, it has no real repercussions for offering a free product.
Interzone 3 sep, 2014 @ 19:28 
I also have doubts whenever someone pulls out 20 something years in a specific business suit in a random thread online pardon me for saying so.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say here but if you're questioning whether I'm telling the truth or not then that's fair comment. It's the internet afer all.

I don't look to google to define what marketing is, I look to what my ethics guidelines tell me marketing is.

But I never said it wasn't ethically wrong, legally though, it has no real repercussions for offering a free product.

Then we agree, it's ethically wrong to pay people to vote for a product they may never have used.
Xedhadeaus 3 sep, 2014 @ 22:22 
It's really a grey area IMO.
They just promise The codes, and those who endorse them make sure they get their money's worth. Essentially hiring someone else to do your job... Which exists everywhere.

I agree in the sense that it is kind of wrong. But it's the only form of invest everyone seems to understand. Everyone gets mad at early access, though it's sort of the same, but with the idea that it'll be released.
< >
Visar 1-15 av 17 kommentarer
Per sida: 1530 50

Datum skrivet: 3 sep, 2014 @ 5:38