Yo momma Sep 2 @ 8:25pm
Booster packs, anyone else SOL?
I'm a bit of a card collector but I should have a 40% for booster packs and have only gotten it once. (Looooong ago) I know it's only chance and everything, but it seems a little rediculous, like my percentage is lower than it should be.

I have nearly half a chance and never get it, and many people I know who are level 10 have gotten a couple so far in the time span I've been trying to get just one. So it's not like 'oh okay, one level 10 is just lucky.' It's all of my friends. Thanks for any replies ahead of time XD
Showing 1-15 of 32 comments
< >
Kargor Sep 2 @ 11:13pm 
Forget the "percentage"; it does very little, and the actual number is meaningless since we don't know how many booster packs are being generated and how many eligible accounts there are.

Even if Steam is bugged there is no way for us to notice this.
Dark Ace Sep 2 @ 11:18pm 
It's also depends on what games that you're eligible to receive from. More games, big player base, a lot of crafting and people levels.

So if you only own one game like L4D2 and is level 20, then you and all the players who are eligible to receive a booster pack and log in to Steam each week has a chance, when someone craft a badge from that game.
Hanomaly Sep 3 @ 3:10am 
Originally posted by Yo momma:
I'm a bit of a card collector but I should have a 40% for booster packs and have only gotten it once. (Looooong ago) I know it's only chance and everything, but it seems a little rediculous, like my percentage is lower than it should be.

I have nearly half a chance and never get it, and many people I know who are level 10 have gotten a couple so far in the time span I've been trying to get just one. So it's not like 'oh okay, one level 10 is just lucky.' It's all of my friends. Thanks for any replies ahead of time XD
i'm level 30, so my chance is .. i think.. 10% greater than yours (i thought each level only gave 10% more of whatever the default is? But maybe it's 20% per level), but again.. that might not be very much.

i think you are confused on what the percents in this case mean. Even if you had a 40% greater chance, it does not mean 40% chance.. it means you have a 40% greater chance than whatever the heck the 'default chance' to get a booster pack is.

Say the default (level 0-9) chance of a booster pack is 1%, then having a 20% or even 40% greater chance is only 1.2% or 1.4% chance (instead of 1% chance), even having a 100% greater chance would only be a 2% chance to get a booster pack. But, as Kargor said the percent thing is kinda meaningless since we don't even know the "default" odds of getting a boosterpack.

... i'm level 30 and am averaging maybe.. 1 booster pack a month or 1 every two months. i'm eligible for booster packs in almost 70 games (i think 66). So even with almost 70 games eligibility i'm averaging only 1 a month, max.

i dunno how many games you're eligible in (there's a link at the top of your badge page that shows you), so that will have something to do with it, plus... luck.
Last edited by Hanomaly; Sep 3 @ 3:14am
Black Blade Sep 3 @ 3:20am 
I almost get no boosters my self and i am have a higher chance as level 70+, i also have 375 games eligible for booster packs
So if you get any i do think any one needs to feel luck abut it

(i think i get abut 1 a mouth or maybe less, sometimes more)
Last edited by Black Blade; Sep 3 @ 3:20am
Hanomaly Sep 3 @ 3:46am 
Originally posted by Black Blade:
i also have 375 games eligible for booster packs
That is crazy!!! i envy your eligibility pile!
Littlefoot Sep 3 @ 4:18am 
Weird.

I myself have only gotten one booster pack, for Garry's Mod.
spl Sep 3 @ 5:36am 
Are you sure you have all current card drops already from those games?

I'm pretty sure if you still have card drops available (the ones you get by just playing the game) then you are not eligible to receive booster packs for that game until you receive all the drops first.
Fishook Sep 3 @ 6:16am 
Strange I get a booster pack once every three to four weeka with around 60 to 70 games eligiable, not bothering with levels anymore. But one thing I have noticed I have y10 year account and maybe that increases drop rates but Its down to luck. Its not worth investing IMO as cards rates are so low now,
Yo momma Sep 3 @ 8:07am 
Originally posted by Dark Ace:
It's also depends on what games that you're eligible to receive from. More games, big player base, a lot of crafting and people levels.

So if you only own one game like L4D2 and is level 20, then you and all the players who are eligible to receive a booster pack and log in to Steam each week has a chance, when someone craft a badge from that game.

Ah, I see. Though I am eligible for over 15 games or so. And some are games barely played, so maybe I need to craft my own badge to give myself a chance in the Sherlock games? XD Since I know those are probably not really touched by others now.
Yo momma Sep 3 @ 8:42am 
Originally posted by Fishook:
Strange I get a booster pack once every three to four weeka with around 60 to 70 games eligiable, not bothering with levels anymore. But one thing I have noticed I have y10 year account and maybe that increases drop rates but Its down to luck. Its not worth investing IMO as cards rates are so low now,

The y10 account doesn't help, it just adds more xp toward leveling up. and yea, I suppose I won't depend on booster packs but I figured not to level badges all the way to 10 in case I get a booster in that game.
Yo momma Sep 3 @ 8:44am 
Originally posted by magelike:
Are you sure you have all current card drops already from those games?

I'm pretty sure if you still have card drops available (the ones you get by just playing the game) then you are not eligible to receive booster packs for that game until you receive all the drops first.

Yes, I already checked my eligibility and have such for over 15 games. I do have 50 games or so but many are either don't have cards or I didn't get all the drops yet. Though I feel with all the games I have and I should have a LITTLE more than ONE booster pack in 5 years.
Yo momma Sep 3 @ 8:47am 
Originally posted by Black Blade:
I almost get no boosters my self and i am have a higher chance as level 70+, i also have 375 games eligible for booster packs
So if you get any i do think any one needs to feel luck abut it

(i think i get abut 1 a mouth or maybe less, sometimes more)

That's crazy, getting all the card drops in 375 games XD humble bundle? And yeah, I feel like we should get a LITTLE bit more free stuff with how much money we gave them in the first place. I may just go back to collecting cards in real life lol, because digital is fun but doesn't seem as much of a pride.
Yo momma Sep 3 @ 8:52am 
Originally posted by Hanomaly:
Originally posted by Yo momma:
I'm a bit of a card collector but I should have a 40% for booster packs and have only gotten it once. (Looooong ago) I know it's only chance and everything, but it seems a little rediculous, like my percentage is lower than it should be.

I have nearly half a chance and never get it, and many people I know who are level 10 have gotten a couple so far in the time span I've been trying to get just one. So it's not like 'oh okay, one level 10 is just lucky.' It's all of my friends. Thanks for any replies ahead of time XD
i'm level 30, so my chance is .. i think.. 10% greater than yours (i thought each level only gave 10% more of whatever the default is? But maybe it's 20% per level), but again.. that might not be very much.

i think you are confused on what the percents in this case mean. Even if you had a 40% greater chance, it does not mean 40% chance.. it means you have a 40% greater chance than whatever the heck the 'default chance' to get a booster pack is.

Say the default (level 0-9) chance of a booster pack is 1%, then having a 20% or even 40% greater chance is only 1.2% or 1.4% chance (instead of 1% chance), even having a 100% greater chance would only be a 2% chance to get a booster pack. But, as Kargor said the percent thing is kinda meaningless since we don't even know the "default" odds of getting a boosterpack.

... i'm level 30 and am averaging maybe.. 1 booster pack a month or 1 every two months. i'm eligible for booster packs in almost 70 games (i think 66). So even with almost 70 games eligibility i'm averaging only 1 a month, max.

i dunno how many games you're eligible in (there's a link at the top of your badge page that shows you), so that will have something to do with it, plus... luck.


Thanks for the information, and yea 1.2% would be completely stupid. I am eligible for quite a few games and only got, I believe, one booster pack in 5 years. If it was once every 2-3 months and I wouldn't have made the OP. But I think I may be dying out of buying cards since it doesn't seem they reward you much for being a collector. At least when I collecting physical cards and the store would give me free packs per so many purchases, the pride of showing them to your friends, and the chance of them costing more in the future.

But oh well XD Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
spl Sep 3 @ 8:52am 
Originally posted by Yo momma:
Though I feel with all the games I have and I should have a LITTLE more than ONE booster pack in 5 years.

Maybe this is your problem. Booster packs have not existed on steam for 5 years.
Steam cards have only existed for just over 1 year now, and you probably weren't even eligible for booster packs for that long either since it takes time
Yo momma Sep 3 @ 9:31am 
Originally posted by mearo:
Originally posted by Yo momma:
Though I feel with all the games I have and I should have a LITTLE more than ONE booster pack in 5 years.

Maybe this is your problem. Booster packs have not existed on steam for 5 years.
Steam cards have only existed for just over 1 year now, and you probably weren't even eligible for booster packs for that long either since it takes time

Really? Wow, that's odd. I thought I was buying cards over a year ago. But I have been eligible for cards for a long time now, even if it's been only 1 booster pack in 8 months. (In case we wanna think of if I took awhile to become eligible.)
Showing 1-15 of 32 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Sep 2 @ 8:25pm
Posts: 32