Shutesie Jan 31, 2015 @ 3:11am
Family Sharing
Back story

I've been on steam since it's beginning with Half-life 2. I haven't had any issues until the last couple of years after my son discovered a love of computer games and the addition of a second computer actually capable of playing the more demanding games. Before that we only had one computer in the house capable of playing the graphic heavy games so only one person could play at a time anyway.

The dilemma

I have almost 50 games. It's not a lot but 3 kids don't come cheap and the wife doesn't share my affinity for video games. Most of the games I rarely play anymore.

My son happens to love G-mod for Half-life and I have purchased games that he wanted when he was younger but too young to have an account.

I am planning on creating an account for him but I'm not really interested in paying for games that I already own but no longer play myself. This wasn't a problem before digital download but is now.

My Solution

I understand that Sharing only allows one person on a library at a time. This is an issue because as I said my original account has all of the games that my son likes to play.

I was thinking about creating a second account for myself that I would call say Family Account. This account would consist of new games that I wanted to play myself.

I would create a new account for my son so that he could also purchase new games. Our taste in games overlaps but not entirely.

I would also keep my old account.

This what I want to accomplish

I could play new games purchased under the new "Family Account" under my old account by sharing the new account library with it.

My son could play say G-mod off my old account library using his new account by sharing my old account library with him.

Is this a violation of anything?
I think even allowing my son to play my games on my account is technically violating the steam agreement if I read it right.

Will it even work? I mean could I log in under my account and play my sons games that he shared while he is logged in under his account but playing my games that I shared with him.

At no point am I interested in playing the same game at the same time as my son. I would purchase a second copy of any such game.

< >
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
Kargor Jan 31, 2015 @ 3:36am 
The problem with this kind of elaborate setup is that "things change". Eventually, your son will want to use some of the games on your new account -- so what then? Make yet another account? And then another? And another?

Steam is NOT family friendly in any way, and "family sharing" is anything but that. Accept that.

Maybe take a different approach to this. Maybe you guys can work out what games he likes, and you just get those games next time they show up in a sale or bundle.
Shutesie Jan 31, 2015 @ 4:18am 
The issue is really tied to the old games. Having the old games and the new games in the same account is the problem. What I would love to do would be to gift him the old games but that isn't something that Steam allows. My expectation is that now that he is older he will be purchasing more of his own new games. Truth be told I would like to start kicking his butt playing against him.

Separating the new games would allow me to play those while he was playing the older ones or if he wanted to play my new games I could play his new games. He's got a couple of games that he wants but I have been reluctant to buy until I could decide on a solution to our dilemma. He's mentioned "I am bread", "Kerbal Space Program", and "Goat Simulator" as games he would like but they don't jump out at me.

My other solution was to just have him take over my old account but I do play some of the newer titles that I have purchased.
76561198126228209 Jan 31, 2015 @ 6:47am 
guys please help me to tell valve about my LP i have a reason why i gotted abandoned because my was hang. and i cant reconnect please guys if you know the admin please tell him/her about what happen
< >
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jan 31, 2015 @ 3:11am