|Joanie| May 11 @ 8:16pm
What VALVE wait for banning those market bots?
There's already a few cases VALVE banned the bots making profit, many bots being desactivated which is literally normal due to all those who devolve their time to the trading while some use bots to mass spam the entire thing.

I've already used the report feature,c ontacted support and there's still bots that massivly spam the Team Fortress 2 chat for a lot of months now , it's really annoying for many and if VALVE previously desactivated similar bots from you can see via reddit, why not doing those who literally kill the peace in the tf2 chat. You see boths spamming the same crap every 5 seconds.

Pretty sure it would lower the usage of your servers by a LOT when you'll start taking report for those bots seriously so fair users can get decent servers and more stable community.

Using the report feature never worked for a few months, VALVE should really start to hunt those bots.

Thanks
Showing 1-15 of 48 comments
< >
Matt May 11 @ 8:43pm 
I banned a few bots from chat but others might come back.
­­Δ👽 Louna 👽Δ­­ May 12 @ 7:58pm 
Originally posted by Matt:
I banned a few bots from chat but others might come back.

Thanks.

And honestly, it should be monitored more. Those bots are automatically spamming when they are in so each time i was going in those chat, it was obvious to see 3-4 of them. So i'm pretty sure a mod can go in the room once a while.
I know it's completely voluntary but since they spam fact, you enter the room and the bots are obvious lol.

I also have a group link that you might be interested that have many bots that tend to spam the TF2 chat. Won't reveal it publicly but feel free to add me if you want me to PM it the link to you.

Thanks again!
Last edited by ­­Δ👽 Louna 👽Δ­­; May 12 @ 8:00pm
thesandman May 13 @ 3:26am 
whats the point of a spam bot?
­­Δ👽 Louna 👽Δ­­ May 13 @ 9:43am 
Originally posted by thesandman:
whats the point of a spam bot?

They make massive profits but they violate the Steam ToS.

Valve already closed te account of some bots in the past.
­­Δ👽 Louna 👽Δ­­ May 19 @ 1:44pm 
Some are still active,

All coming from http://steamcommunity.com/groups/fh_trading_bots

They keep recreating new bots.
GenPattonBR May 20 @ 12:02pm 
do you mean TF2-specific bots or trading cards bots?
­­Δ👽 Louna 👽Δ­­ May 20 @ 3:25pm 
Originally posted by GenPattonBR:
do you mean TF2-specific bots or trading cards bots?

Any bots that use the trade system for cards, tf2 items or Steam market are in actual violation of the Terms of use of Steam.

VALVE already took massive action against some in the past.
rhetoricmonkey May 21 @ 2:44am 
Doesn't Valve profit when bots drive the sales up? They flip the cards, for example, for profit. Valve gets their 15% twice. What incentive does Valve have for stopping these bots? They'd be shooting themselves in the wallet. I have to admit, I don't trade as much as I would if it weren't for the obvious bots sniping every good deal. Circumvention of bots seems straightforward enough to me, but it seems that such a practice would be a loss for Valve. Thanks for the outlet to vent O.P..
­­Δ👽 Louna 👽Δ­­ May 21 @ 5:02am 
Originally posted by rhetoricmonkey:
Doesn't Valve profit when bots drive the sales up? They flip the cards, for example, for profit. Valve gets their 15% twice. What incentive does Valve have for stopping these bots? They'd be shooting themselves in the wallet. I have to admit, I don't trade as much as I would if it weren't for the obvious bots sniping every good deal. Circumvention of bots seems straightforward enough to me, but it seems that such a practice would be a loss for Valve. Thanks for the outlet to vent O.P..

It's against the Steam ToS. Like you said, it kill the trade community good deals, overcharge the VALVE servers.

By disabling those bots, they actually make more benefit, server maintenance cost them much more than what they make with those bots. And without bots, the trade community would be much more active, so no it's no VALVE benefit to stop them, oh and not a surprise since they violate Steam ToS.
GenPattonBR May 21 @ 5:26am 
And without bots, the trade community would be much more active, so no it's no VALVE benefit to stop them, oh and not a surprise since they violate Steam ToS.

It wouldn't change anything in the way the market operates. Ppl willing to buy cards will buy them no matter how or from whom. I once got a foil as one of the card drops and I sold it instantly for about US$ 3.50. I find that absurd, but it was an honest deal.

The double fees Steam receives on cards being bought and sold twice more than covers the additional server overhead added by the bots. Besides, the servers for Steam Community (market, trades, forums, etc) are not the same as the Steam store.

I am not defending the bots, but I understand why Steam has done nothing against them. It's a highly profitable business and bots, if anything, help Steam make even more money.
rhetoricmonkey May 21 @ 5:28am 
.... I am not defending the bots, but I understand why Steam has done nothing against them. It's a highly profitable business and bots, if anything, help Steam make even more money.
I was being kind of rhetorical myself when I asked. But I too assume as you do.
GenPattonBR May 21 @ 5:33am 
Originally posted by rhetoricmonkey:
I was being kind of rhetorical myself when I asked. But I too assume as you do.

You are, after all, a rethoric monkey.
rhetoricmonkey May 21 @ 5:37am 
Yeah, originally rhetoricalmonkey, but I shortened it due to some old username issues with various places that limited the character count. Those times have changed, but the shortened version suits me fine.
­­Δ👽 Louna 👽Δ­­ May 21 @ 5:52am 
And without bots, the trade community would be much more active, so no it's no VALVE benefit to stop them, oh and not a surprise since they violate Steam ToS.

It wouldn't change anything in the way the market operates. Ppl willing to buy cards will buy them no matter how or from whom. I once got a foil as one of the card drops and I sold it instantly for about US$ 3.50. I find that absurd, but it was an honest deal.

The double fees Steam receives on cards being bought and sold twice more than covers the additional server overhead added by the bots. Besides, the servers for Steam Community (market, trades, forums, etc) are not the same as the Steam store.

I am not defending the bots, but I understand why Steam has done nothing against them. It's a highly profitable business and bots, if anything, help Steam make even more money.

Servers are affected by bots, they constantly refresh nearly every page of the market, it is nearly apparent to a DDoS attack, so no they violate the SSA and flood the servers by useless request, it's anything by profitable and kill the market for legit users.
GenPattonBR May 21 @ 6:01am 
they constantly refresh nearly every page of the market, it is nearly apparent to a DDoS attack

No, they don't. They have no similarity to a DDoS attack. Apparently you have no idea how bots work. Bots need to pull as little data as FAST possible in order to be fast and efficient.

I can't and won't post details of how the best bots work, but I can guarantee they don't reload the same page all the time. It is too much useless info.

There is one bot out there, known to everyone, that actually works like that, reloading the same page over and over until an item with or below the set price is found. That bot is Open Source and many ppl use it. All I can say it : it is extremely inefficient and the Russian pros don't use that P.O.S.

Why do I say Russian? Because all the profiles I know that are running bots are Russian.
Last edited by GenPattonBR; May 21 @ 6:03am
Showing 1-15 of 48 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: May 11 @ 8:16pm