Major Kyle Smith May 11 @ 5:44pm
One flaw of PC gaming.
Ok let me start this off by saying I am a PC gamer and will always be one for as long as I am a gamer. I am on your side and all but I would like to point out one flaw that we have. That flaw is this, paying real money for games that literally do not launch and or work. I used to play xbox in my 12 year old days and this issue never happened to me. Ive been playing PC for a good two years now and ive had to have ran into 6 games that don't work. Id download a game and try to play it only to find out that it does not launch. If verifying the cache do not work you have to spend an hour or more trying to fix it. I will give some examples that I have come accrost. Most recently was Outlast: Whistleblower, I had played and beat that game months before and then when the dlc comes out I download it and what do you know it will not launch and I have tryed to fix it with no success. Then I have Total War: Rome 2, It wont launch and I don't care enough about that game to invest hours into fixing it. Grand Theft Auto 4, and Bioshock 1. That's just a few off the top of my head that wont work and I havent fixed yet. There is a few more im sure. Anyway I just wanted to get this out of my head and write it down. I still love PC gaming.
Last edited by Major Kyle Smith; May 11 @ 5:44pm
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel May 11 @ 6:29pm 
Yes, not having enough technical skill to troubleshoot/solving your problems is a downside of PC GAMING.
I AM SHODAN! May 11 @ 9:00pm 
Well, consider the ridiculous number of possible computer hardware and software configurations a person could be running, add in the effects of various peripherals and drivers, internet connection, and such, and you have a number of different individual "computers" that would be impossible to even guess at let alone try to make a single game work for. No developer on the planet can guarantee their game will definitely work on every possible PC out there. There are simply too many options, too many things that can go wrong.

A good developer is one that understands this, attempts to get the game working for the largest possible number of people, and works with the ones who are still having problems getting a game to run until it works.

People often go running to the Steam help and tips forum when they can't get their games running, when nearly all of the time they are going to the wrong people and should be going to the forum for the individual game or contacting the developer directly.
Black Blade (card rain) May 11 @ 9:34pm 
Well i do think these is one of the reasons many Dev go with consoles today... its in the end more easy to make them, as it only need to mange your own game.. no fear of it clashing with something else that is running in the same time, or the system not been the same as @I AM SHODAN! all ready said

One thing that can be done on it. is if someone work on some type of standard... but doing something like that even more today with all the system out there will not be easy to say the less
As well as if its not made just wait something like these can some what limit what you can do with your system.. something i am sure many will not want
Silv3r9 May 11 @ 10:03pm 
To fully embrace PC gaming, the first step is to stop thinking "console logic" as in: insert disk and play the game. The reasons have been well explained by I AM SHODAN above *points*

No, not all games will run on every PC and yes, it can be aggravating sometimes but there's a very particular kind of satisfaction when you finally get the darn thing running...you'll never experience such conflicting emotions on a console let me tell ya

You seem to lack the motivation to find why some of your games won't run.
My advice: arm yourself with patience and contact the right people, you'll be surprised how incredibly helpful some devs can be - if that fails, there are enough tutorials and how-to's from friendly gamers all over the web.

We've all been there and done that - and here we are still.
Nocturne May 12 @ 12:21am 
I've had my fair share of console games as well that refused to run, on multiple platforms.
marianne~ May 12 @ 4:32am 
I've never had a Console and have PC only experience. My desktop died and I needed to get a new one. I wanted a desktop and wanted to know what I needed in order to play AAA titles. So I visited Steam's hardware/software forum and took notes. I also went to reddit and took notes. I google shopped for info. After getting my list of my requirements, I went to Best Buy, our local shop, bought a tower and the extras I wanted. Their Geek Squad installed my extras and here I am, happy as a clam at high tide. :-)
Nocturne May 12 @ 4:48am 
Originally posted by marianne929:
I've never had a Console and have PC only experience. My desktop died and I needed to get a new one. I wanted a desktop and wanted to know what I needed in order to play AAA titles. So I visited Steam's hardware/software forum and took notes. I also went to reddit and took notes. I google shopped for info. After getting my list of my requirements, I went to Best Buy, our local shop, bought a tower and the extras I wanted. Their Geek Squad installed my extras and here I am, happy as a clam at high tide. :-)
and this is exactly how it's done. *bows*
madef224 May 12 @ 5:50am 
Us "old school Gamers" actually put the systems together ourselves. :)
Night Cat May 12 @ 11:46am 
Yeah it's the price we pay for customization.
Don't mention Rome 2 though, from what I heard that game is just broken, poorly done.

If it helps you though, at least we get decent hardware at a better price, given that there is competition. If PCs were like consoles and we all had to buy into similar devices, there'd be less room for say Kingston to go into producing cheaper RAM sticks etc.

Consoles, 500 euro, the hardware in it isn't worth half the price.
Last edited by Night Cat; May 12 @ 11:48am
Borkbreak May 12 @ 11:51am 
c:
Pewpewmoar May 12 @ 12:12pm 
The last game I genuinely couldn't get working on my pc (when it meet the system requirements) was Quake 4. Which was apparently 9 years ago (!)

Sometimes you need to set compatibility mode, or fiddle slightly with a config file, but compared to even 10 years ago, pc gaming is so hassle free nowadays.
Quint S. Firefly May 12 @ 4:04pm 
1. For some reason, I've noticed that complaints tend to happen -- at least for games that don't require as high specs -- with high-spec systems, such as people who actually have graphics cards other than Integrated. But this is a very small sample size I'm going by, and doesn't include those people who didn't report their specs.

People often go running to the Steam help and tips forum when they can't get their games running, when nearly all of the time they are going to the wrong people and should be going to the forum for the individual game or contacting the developer directly.
To be fair to them, there's a chance the problem may be a common one that other people have discovered and solved (or has been solved by the developer) and the solution is available on the Steam forum.
Night Cat May 12 @ 4:19pm 
^ That seems to be true for me, I have a very generic mid-tier set up and everything runs for me.
It would also logically make sense that devs can't test their software with each high spec card as much simply because not that many users have them.
Originally posted by Rainbow Cat:
Consoles, 500 euro, the hardware in it isn't worth half the price.
Except for the overexpensive gimmicks they nééd to add, either because of blind ambition or contracts.
Playstation for instance were more expensive to build than they were sold for, all for a bluray player that didn't quite win it on the market...
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: May 11 @ 5:44pm