Emperor Cat May 9 @ 11:50am
Your Steam Support Experience?
I want to know if everyone else's customer support experiences have been as bad as mine. Understand I want to love steam. I've been using it for over 5 years, and have 161 steam games.

I love valve as a company, so its lackluster support baffles me. I used to hate EA, and I don't admire them as a company, but how did it come about that dealing with EA customer support is pleasant and dealing with steam's is a nightmare?

Last year, when they charged my card twice for a purchase, I immediately contacted support. They did refund the second charge but said.

"In the future that Steam purchases, per the Steam Subscriber Agreement, are not refundable - this store credit was issued as a one-time customer service gesture."

A one time customer service gesture? You charged my account twice. What if someone in the drive through of a fast food joint ran your card twice. They agreed to refund it, but then told you if it ever happened again they would not? Hell no.

More recently, they seem to ignore the actual content of my messages altogether. Sending only semi-automated replies, repeatedly telling me my issue is resolved when it is not. Very long delays and at times communicating nothing at all.

I'm NOT going to be that guy saying I'm never going to by a steam game again. I will. Like I said, I would like to like steam. And I do.... but the lack of support is a real concern for me. Given Origin's rather stellar return policy and support infrastructure... Its enough that I may start seriously considering it as an alternative.
Thoughts?
Last edited by Emperor Cat; May 9 @ 11:53am
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
TeKraken May 9 @ 11:59am 
I'm fairly sure they say "one time" as to mean you have no further claim against "this" claim/mistake (whatever). They can not absolve themselves of any future responsibility just by including those words. Every store/company would do it.
Emperor Cat May 9 @ 12:08pm 
I can understand that... I was already fast approaching TLDNR so I didn't go into too much detail on the issues I have with their support... this isn't meant to be a steam hate thread, like I said. I'm a long time supporter.

But since I don't send tickets in all the time, I more want to see if other people's experiences have been positive or negative.
FFL2and3rocks May 9 @ 12:14pm 
I had to contact them 3 times, they helped me 2 of those times.
In 2011 I didn't get a reward that I redeemed during the summer sale, so I contacted them about it, but they essentially implied that I was lying and then told me the opposite of what the sale's FAQ page said.

The second time, they gave me a refund for a game that ran out of CD keys. They said the same thing about it being a one time customer service gesture.

The third time, I had a technical problem with Steam and they told me how to fix it.
TeKraken May 9 @ 12:22pm 
The thing with asking on a user forum is that it is probably a small % of the user base. How many people had a good experience with support and are happily gaming away without ever knowing this place exists?

Most of the user/owner forums I've signed up to have been because of a query or problem with a purchased item, thankfully that's not many. And even then minor/easy problems can be solved by the community which leaves support to pick through the bones of the more complex or account based problems.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil so to speak and people who get a bad service are more vocal about the level of service they received (or didn't).

I'm not expressing my opinion of steam support as I usually only see "Steam support sux" threads because the "steam support helped me" people are to busy killing zombies to report the success.
TeKraken May 9 @ 12:24pm 
Originally posted by Muppet among Puppets:
The first answer is like having the window open, there is a storm, there is a tree, there is autumn, and random leafs are flying through the window.

Maybe they need haiku training for that first response?
Fork_Q2 May 9 @ 12:26pm 
Royally ♥♥♥♥ed me off back in 2010 when I wanted a refund for Fallout New Vegas which did not work (and one other game that escapes my memory) and they refused. Well, game now works after a few months of patching, and is one of my all time faves, but that episode still left a bad taste in my mouth.
Last edited by Fork_Q2; May 9 @ 12:26pm
ragefifty50 May 9 @ 1:46pm 
You have a gaming addiction manifesting into needy customer service interaction and your behavior needs to be modified with dismissive customer service for you to learn to solve
these problems on your own in a less needy manner in the future. move along...

next.
Talon May 9 @ 1:56pm 
Never had to contact them in 9 years.

But given the amount of users on steam I would imagine a whole lot of responses that get sent out are generic auto responses. Especially when a lot of complaints to support will be stupid ♥♥♥♥ that people arn't entitled to refunds for, or cheaters complaining about VAC bans.
Silicon Vampire May 9 @ 3:32pm 
Ok, we are done here. Take it to chat if you must ...
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: May 9 @ 11:50am