What is going on with these downtimes?
I've tried searching this topic for a while now, but it's getting a bit ridiculous at this point. Yes, I know that Steam is constantly updating and such, but for a few months now I've noticed random downtimes where no pages load, and it is rather difficult to login for as long as the downtime lasts.

So what is going on here? I've been told this is a sensitive topic, not sure why as paying customers have a right to know why their service is going down all the time. I can never remember Steam going down like this in the past, at least not this much. Just some type of explanation would be good enough, thanks.
< >
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
This is my one and only time I will bump this thread. Like I said, the downtimes are rather random, and inconvenient, but if Steam absolutely refuses to explain to it's customers why the service they paid for is constantly going down then oh well I guess.
cinedine May 3, 2014 @ 11:47am 
Originally posted by FU | FrostyTheBlowman:
This is my one and only time I will bump this thread. Like I said, the downtimes are rather random, and inconvenient, but if Steam absolutely refuses to explain to it's customers why the service they paid for is constantly going down then oh well I guess.

You're paying for access to the games, not access to community features. Most of them are free from the get-go or "freemium" and unlocked upon spending money for the first time.
Also, there have been no downtimes as you can see in the user statistics (at least 800k were logged in all the time) - it's just bad servers as usual.
Last edited by cinedine; May 3, 2014 @ 11:48am
Pod May 3, 2014 @ 12:11pm 
I wish they would just tell us anything rather than leaving us hanging in the dark and making everyone lose respect for Steam. It's unproductive that they don't say anything.

There's always been problems but it's becoming more and more frequent.

Just a simple "Sorry guys, we're getting DDoSed by some ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s" or an "We're trying to improve the service, please bare with us" but no, nada.
Last edited by Pod; May 3, 2014 @ 12:14pm
Originally posted by cinedine:

You're paying for access to the games, not access to community features. Most of them are free from the get-go or "freemium" and unlocked upon spending money for the first time.
Also, there have been no downtimes as you can see in the user statistics (at least 800k were logged in all the time) - it's just bad servers as usual.

I should have clarified that friends was still up and running but the pages were not loading. It just gets annoying after a while to have pages not load quite often at random times, especially when you need them to load. But I understand that complaining about it will not force a solution.
Originally posted by Pod:
I wish they would just tell us anything rather than leaving us hanging in the dark and making everyone lose respect for Steam. It's unproductive that they don't say anything.

There's always been problems but it's becoming more and more frequent.

Exactly. I would rather they at least explain what's going on, then I wouldn't really care. Problems are part of any service, really, but you make it tenfold worse when you have unexplained periods of pages not loading and there is no explanation for it whatsoever.
Pod May 3, 2014 @ 12:21pm 
Exactly. I would rather they at least explain what's going on, then I wouldn't really care. Problems are part of any service, really, but you make it tenfold worse when you have unexplained periods of pages not loading and there is no explanation for it whatsoever.

Probably just a case of "They'll forget about it when it's working again".
Still, it'd be nice to know they care enough about their customers to take notice and say something.
iNHUMAN May 3, 2014 @ 12:35pm 
This is complete and utter ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥t.

The Steam community is constantly down. Unable to make trades, buy or sell from the market and often not getting online at all for hours on end. If Steam can't handle the traffic, then it needs to either get its servers replaced of upgraded and a couple extra backbones for heavy load.

The way i see it, they do not care at all for their customers at the moment with all these downtimes.

I don't want to hear about "oh but Steam is free", yes i get that the Steam platform is free BUT your games aren't, and when they can't provide a service that requires you to run those games that you bought, they FAIL to meet their customers demands and RIGHT.

They need to fix what is wrong with their service, end of story.
I also echo the same thoughts about the login issues. I made a point in my opening post of not making too big a deal out of this issue because I know it is sensitive. But I remember last night there indeed WAS a downtime, of sorts, and I have also had trouble logging in consistently over the past few weeks. I try to seperate the problems from each other, and not speak too loudly against them, because the powers that be do not like us discussing this topic.
Pod May 3, 2014 @ 12:47pm 
Even EA is more in touch (maybe not on their side, but at least respond) with their customers.
For shame, Steam, for shame.
< >
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: May 1, 2014 @ 12:44pm