Steam virus that makes ads and pop-ups [Resolved]
Today, when i launched steam, i noticed that every time i'm trying to do something in it, a pop up window opens, sometimes it's empty and sometimes it's an advertisment, when one opens, i need to close it before being able to use steam again, it's really annoying, i tried to use a few softwares to analyse my computer, but they don't see any virus :/ does any one else has/had the same problem?
Last edited by [S.M.T] Sunil_B; Apr 22, 2014 @ 12:09pm
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
TeKraken Apr 20, 2014 @ 8:22am 
You have malware/adware on your PC.

What software did you use?
Do you have anything new in your add/remove programs list?
[S.M.T] Sunil_B Apr 20, 2014 @ 9:10am 
Originally posted by TeKraken:
You have malware/adware on your PC.

What software did you use?
Do you have anything new in your add/remove programs list?

I used Avast, Ccleaner and Spybot S&D to analyse, I also checked the programs list but i don't see anything suspicious in it :/. Any idea about what software I could use to delete that adware?

Satoru Apr 20, 2014 @ 12:01pm 
You absolutely have malware on your PC

If you've scanned it and have found nothing, its likely the infection is very deep. You can try to post to the MalwareBytes site and see if you can get some expert assistance there

However you may want to seriously consider formatting the OS and reinstalling
[S.M.T] Sunil_B Apr 20, 2014 @ 3:12pm 
Originally posted by Satoru:

If you've scanned it and have found nothing, its likely the infection is very deep. You can try to post to the MalwareBytes site and see if you can get some expert assistance there

I'll get a new harddrive soon anyway and i'll have to re-install windows anyway so i'll guess i'll wait then :/ but it's weird that the malware is only affecting steam, i don't have any other problems with my computer.
Satoru Apr 20, 2014 @ 3:21pm 
Originally posted by S.M.T Sunil_B:

I'll get a new harddrive soon anyway and i'll have to re-install windows anyway so i'll guess i'll wait then :/ but it's weird that the malware is only affecting steam, i don't have any other problems with my computer.

IT's likely a javascript injection. This may not be visible on other browser if you're running chrome/firefox with adblocker on them.

Another possiblity is that your DNS is pointing somewhere nefarious. You can try pointing to Google or OpenDNS. Also check your hosts file for tampering as well.
Last edited by Satoru; Apr 20, 2014 @ 3:22pm
[S.M.T] Sunil_B Apr 22, 2014 @ 12:09pm 
Originally posted by S.M.T Sunil_B:

IT's likely a javascript injection. This may not be visible on other browser if you're running chrome/firefox with adblocker on them.

Another possiblity is that your DNS is pointing somewhere nefarious. You can try pointing to Google or OpenDNS. Also check your hosts file for tampering as well.
Since yesterday, i tried to do these things, it didn't do anything :/ But a few minutes ago, i tried another program (adwcleaner) and the ads are gone now ^_^
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Apr 20, 2014 @ 8:19am