Denna tråd har blivit låst
Urban Fantasy Games
For a few years I've been reading urban fantasy novels such as the Dresden Files, Felix Castor, Hellblazer (comics and novels), Shadowrun (technically a cyberpunk urban fantasy). For those who don't know, urban fantasy is supernatural phenomena/fantasy elements set in the modern, pre-modern, or even post modern world.

Now I'm looking for games that fit this sub-genre. I've played the Secret World which is an MMO that is set in a nice urban fantasy setting, but I don't really enjoy MMOs that much. Devil May Cry (the new one) looks like its set in urban fantasy as well as Vampire the Masquerade.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other video games that fit the urban fantasy setting/genre? Thanks.
< >
Visar 1-4 av 4 kommentarer
dwinblood 28 jun, 2016 @ 13:45 
There is a definite shortage of such games. The Shadowrun games could technically be considered URBAN FANTASY though they have more tech and gadgets. They still would likely fit into that. Though I didn't consider them as such until someone recently pointed that out to me.

The Secret World (which you've already playeD) can be mostly approached like a single player game and is one of the better story/environments. I wish they'd make some single player games LIKE that. I'm not talking about their recent theme park walking simulator.

The Vampire The Masquerade games have Urban Fantasy elements.

Some of the Assassin Creed games have elements that could almost seem Urban Fantasy.

Dishonored and the Thief series kind of skirt the topic too.

Any of the Zombie based games are kind of Urban Fantasy in nature.... but maybe not really since they don't usually have magic, and things other than Zombies.

It is a genre ripe for exploration.

I think a big part of the reason it is avoided is doing stuff based on settings that look familiar to us is trickier because people notice easily when something doesn't look right. Making High Fantasy (typical) stuff or Sci-Fi stuff is easier because it comes more from the imagination. So urban fantasy might have some more challenges.

I'd like to see more games like that too.
GreenJackal 5 jan, 2020 @ 22:15 
Yeah,i just noticed that there's a severe lack of games that try to use our modern world and magic together. Honestly, i think it could be really good since there's a lot of variety, no shortage of material to use from The Originals,Teen wolf to the Dresden files and The Iron Druid series all of which tend to have wildly different takes on werewolves,spirits and vampires (Teen wolf doesn't even have them,at least last i watched it.)

I hope at some point they try to at least give this genre a chance because i honestly think they could get a lot out of it. Make the familiar into the unfamiliar maybe the first few levels are spent allowing you to get a taste for a world you know,leveling up with the supernatural where it is for most characters; the background. Then when you hit a certain level you get taken into the depths of it.

MMOs or single players,both would have a lot of room to flex their creative muscles because it would take some genius to do it or just hire a bunch of urban fantasy authors,gaming writers and see what comes out of that.
Kargor 6 jan, 2020 @ 1:43 
urban fantasy is supernatural phenomena/fantasy elements set in the modern, pre-modern, or even post modern world.

Other games that come to mind:

I haven't really played this genre, but some of these games may be urban fantasy (off the top of my head):

Underrail (WRPG?)
Rusty Hearts (MMO action)
Soul Worker (MMO action?)
Operation Abyss (JRPG/dungeon crawler)
Shadowrun (WRPG?) you already named this
Final Fantasy VII (JRPG) (at least the first part might count)
Final Fantasy XIII? (JRPG)
Final Fantasy XV? (JRPG)
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (JRPG series)
Light Fairytale (JRPG?)
Sage Fusion (point-and-click x JRPG series)
Tokyo Xanadu (JRPG?) already mentioned
< >
Visar 1-4 av 4 kommentarer
Per sida: 1530 50

Datum skrivet: 14 apr, 2014 @ 7:02