cobalt_drake Apr 14, 2014 @ 5:44am
why no humble bundles on steam?
why dont valve allow a pay-what-you-want bundle to appear on steam? it seems like a good idea to bring the offer to the customers directly....
i can understand the whole profit thing... but still.. this is for charity...
if it has happened before, i'm sorry, but wasnt aware of it...
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Kargor Apr 14, 2014 @ 5:55am 
It's just not what shops usually do.

Sure, Steam could sell bundles. Steam could also sell merchandise. Heck, they could sell books, BluRay movies and cars, and open up an ice cream franchise. It's entirely their own choice what kind of business they want to run, and they decided to not sell bundles. Or cars. Or ice cream.

FYI: I use the term "bundles" to mean the packages sold by the bundlesites. Technically, Steam DOES sell bundles -- anythiing that contains more than one game is a bundle, after all.
Last edited by Kargor; Apr 14, 2014 @ 5:56am
Satoru Apr 14, 2014 @ 5:57am 
Likely since the infrastuctue doesnt support a 'sliding' price system

Also steam supports different currencies so that slider would be really weird in different countries

On a totally separate note, I personally believe Humble Bundle and others have done more damage to Indie pricing than Steam sales ever did. They meant well, but I feel they are by far one of the worst things to happen to indies.
Kargor Apr 14, 2014 @ 6:11am 
Originally posted by Satoru:
On a totally separate note, I personally believe Humble Bundle and others have done more damage to Indie pricing than Steam sales ever did. They meant well, but I feel they are by far one of the worst things to happen to indies.

Possibly. However, companies ARE still putting their stuff on bundles, possibly as a way to get some visibility. In the end, it's their decision.

I would really LOVE to see some hard numbers from Steam -- statistics about how much gets sold at regular store prices, how much gets sold during sales, how many games are registered from keys (and possibly the source of these keys, if the key or their database carries such information). Yeah I know, Steam doesn't do it. It would still be interesting, though :-)

Also, a good deal of the good "Indie" games in my library come from consoles. One could, of course, argue "why even do a PC port if the prices are sky... eh, core-rocketing and you have to throw stuff at bundlesites and 90% sales", but apparently they are still doing it.
Tito Shivan Apr 14, 2014 @ 6:56am 
Originally posted by Satoru:
Likely since the infrastuctue doesnt support a 'sliding' price system

Also steam supports different currencies so that slider would be really weird in different countries

Not to forget regional pricing and taxes (which not all bundle sites apply, like European VAT)
Start_Running Apr 14, 2014 @ 1:36pm 
It's also not entirely necessary. 80% of Humble Bundle games actually have steam keys/activation.

Could also be simply that none of the publishers really want to have their games sold like that.
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Apr 14, 2014 @ 5:44am