This topic has been locked
Klyxmaster (Banned) Mar 10, 2014 @ 4:54am
What would you do if this happened to steam
http://software.intel.com/sites/landingpage/intelappup/faq/

I never used this, but made me think, I have lots of games here - and Intel isn't a "small" company per say, even though this is a branch. But this FAQ is kinda scary when you substitue Intel -> Steam

While not likely(fingers crossed) how would this affect you?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
Well all i think abut it is let the day come and will see
Some day i do think these may happen.. but that day is far... and even if its happening i am putting my trust that Valve will be fair and will find a way to allow us to keep playing are games

Even more.... as Steam can also just work offline mode i think its high that Valve will allow us maybe to download all are games up to a date.... then when Steam close will be able to play what we have

Also that some center of all the files will be open by users so you will be able to download the games you own with torrants... it will be a Steam coded files... but if you own the game you will be able to use it

But that is only what i think

So i think it will be less comfortable and all... but not the end and i do not believe that means we lost what we have in the end

Edit: Add
Why did you go with intle store?
Why not Windows DRM that is more or less the same thing as Steam in many ways? just that they made it much more messy then Intel
Last edited by Black Blade (Card Idleing); Mar 10, 2014 @ 5:06am
Max Mar 10, 2014 @ 5:04am 
If this should happen one day, I am pretty sure that another company would take Steam over and continue to offer us our games. But this day is far away.
By the way: Intel and Steam are no substitutes, they are complements.
Last edited by Max; Mar 10, 2014 @ 5:04am
Kargor Mar 10, 2014 @ 5:36am 
It's up to everyone to deal with it. As all your Steam games will cease to work, there are a number of options:
  • You can just ignore that, and buy everything again that you still want and don't already have from other sources (I do have some games on Humblebundle as well, but these will probably be gone before Steam)
  • Some game companies might be offering a move to another platform (like it happened with the Batman games when GFWL went dark)
  • You could decide that it's not your problem if Steam goes belly-up and get the ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥-editions of your games instead
  • <Insert other options here>
LoL they cross that word out XD

Any how really i think as you buy the license of the game you are allow to get it from some were else as well no?
Like i heard that if you own a game you are allow to make a backup copy of it for private use (do fix me if i am wrong)
Last edited by Black Blade (Card Idleing); Mar 10, 2014 @ 5:41am
The Trickster Mar 10, 2014 @ 5:42am 
there's like 8 millions Steam users, it's like saying WoW will die by X or Y next MMO coming this year. Except Steam is not a game and you don't get bored by it. I rarely run my Uplay/Origin programs except when I have no choice if I want to play a game (like Mass Effect 3)
The Trickster Mar 10, 2014 @ 5:43am 
Originally posted by Black Blade (Study again \(-.-)/:

Any how really i think as you buy the license of the game you are allow to get it from some were else as well no?
Like i heard that if you own a game you are allow to make a backup copy of it for private use (do fix me if i am wrong)
Well with some games you get Keys so I guess it should work
Originally posted by LE SALE MACAQUE:
there's like 8 millions Steam users, it's like saying WoW will die by X or Y next MMO coming this year. Except Steam is not a game and you don't get bored by it. I rarely run my Uplay/Origin programs except when I have no choice if I want to play a game (like Mass Effect 3)
Well that is true... yet there is something you may be not counting here.... what happen if Valve needs to break as they have inner fights? or if someone finds they are hacking or doing something not legal (basically some Freak thing that can happen even if unlikely)

Even a great big company with all the funds in the world can fall for things that are not really related to working or not... or been used or not... so it can happen... even if its unlikely (also what if a zombie get out of a game in Valve and eats gabe up then what? )
Kargor Mar 10, 2014 @ 6:00am 

Yeah well, but I'm guessing people can take a guess what it might be, and that's all I needed here to make the point.

Maybe, maybe not, maybe it depends on where you are, maybe it depends on your family and its connections -- I'm not a lawyer. I simply wouldn't get headaches over using alternative sources of stuff that I have purchased, even if lawyers disagree.

It's like in the pre-Steam days, when I've applied a crack to almost every game that I got -- sometimes to just defeat the "please insert the DVD", sometimes to eliminate a propietary DRM system that would only work a certain number of times. Steam is pretty much the first DRM/copy-protection scheme for me that doesn't need defeating, but if they go down...
Originally posted by Kargor:

Yeah well, but I'm guessing people can take a guess what it might be, and that's all I needed here to make the point.
Ya i just was not really sure before i quote it

Originally posted by Kargor:
It's like in the pre-Steam days, when I've applied a crack to almost every game that I got -- sometimes to just defeat the "please insert the DVD", sometimes to eliminate a propietary DRM system that would only work a certain number of times. Steam is pretty much the first DRM/copy-protection scheme for me that doesn't need defeating, but if they go down...
Ya i do agree... and i am pretty sure that is legal any were really... its the same as putting a song you buy on a MP3
(Ya did the same with my CDs even more when my CD-Ram burn out XD)
Well the thing is its validate your account online when you are online... then after that you can go offline for ever... what will happen if there will crash or something and lose that your account was login... well that is a problem
But i think i can hope that Valve will make some type of local file you can use to keep using your account even then

Edit
Were did the post that i replay to go XD
Last edited by Black Blade (Card Idleing); Mar 10, 2014 @ 6:30am
Originally posted by klyxmaster:

I havent researched this enough to know that if you run steam offline, how does it know that the game you are playing is indeed yours, and it is a legit copy? I may be incorrect, but I think it needs to validate your account online. And if this is true, steam going down, will kill the offline mode as well, and you will be sitting with hudreds of games you cannot play.

It's not as easy as people think.

if Valve does close and they DO have this scheme in place to "unlock" your games... they can't just say "this doesn't need to contact the valve server" and turn that feature off because that would open the biggest piracy case in history! Everyone in that scene would start sharing files everywhere because they would be completely unlocked!!

It would need to somehow be linked back to you, NO IDEA how! Be it activation limits or you need the cd-key, but again, that is useless unless it stores somewhere that a key has been USED or not!

Ironically online play would be fine because Steam don't run 99% of the servers out there and that could easily be transferred to another master server system.
Originally posted by KARR:
It's not as easy as people think.

if Valve does close and they DO have this scheme in place to "unlock" your games... they can't just say "this doesn't need to contact the valve server" and turn that feature off because that would open the biggest piracy case in history! Everyone in that scene would start sharing files everywhere because they would be completely unlocked!!

It would need to somehow be linked back to you, NO IDEA how! Be it activation limits or you need the cd-key, but again, that is useless unless it stores somewhere that a key has been USED or not!

Ironically online play would be fine because Steam don't run 99% of the servers out there and that could easily be transferred to another master server system.
That is true and i also was thinking abut it

So i do have some idea and that is to keep a server going that will run that only... it can work in a way if it dose not need to keep much but the activety (not even game downloading)... something like that will cost but mush less then what it is now and maybe can work auto working on some payment given by users.... but its just an idea i cast out there
Solanum nigrum Mar 10, 2014 @ 12:05pm 
honestly - that was why i avoided steam in the first place. the day may come.......

on the other hand: x-live is fading away and no-one gives a **** - so what? as long as i can keep playing the games i bought. and besides, i think steam is very big now and someone would love to buy it if they would sell
crunchyfrog Mar 10, 2014 @ 1:20pm 
For me, I couldn't care too much, simply because when I made my very first purchase on Steam I considered such problems. I only buy games when cheap as I will have had my fun out of them and consider them "acceptable risk".

I have an awful lot of platforms and I always prefer physical copies for this reason. I'll still have plenty to play.

Maybe this is a shining exmaple of people BEING AWARE of all the issues up front BEFORE they make their purchases?
Fork_Q2 (Banned) Mar 10, 2014 @ 2:50pm 
Originally posted by Schizo666:
honestly - that was why i avoided steam in the first place. the day may come.......

on the other hand: x-live is fading away and no-one gives a **** - so what? as long as i can keep playing the games i bought. and besides, i think steam is very big now and someone would love to buy it if they would sell

Don't have an 360, but that depresses me - once those Xboxes stop working, all those games will be pretty much gone. We have emulators for older generations of consoles and Steam/GOG for older PC titles, but there aren't any good ones for the PS3 or 360.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Mar 10, 2014 @ 4:54am