Why I Don't Like Valve Anymore
Now let me start off by saying I used to be a major Valve fanboy, I mean MAJOR. But nowadays they just don't seem like a very good company to me anymore. Here's some reason's why:

The first & biggest reason is Early Access. A system that sounds good on paper, but is a disaster when put to use. Thanks to Early Access, there is barely any quality control on Steam anymore. Developers get away with selling barebones games for $20+, because they get to cover up their games poor quality by simply saying "It's Early Access". And the games get praised, even though they're terrible! Why would Valve think this was a good idea? Early Access COULD of been a good system, if they at least had SOME quality control/limited price. But no, they allow games that look like they're in Alpha 0.01 run ramped for very high prices. And they don't only allow broken games via Early Access either, they also allow them in general. (*Cough* Day One: Garry's Incident *Cough* Gmod *Cough*.)

The second reason is the pointless engine updates that break mods. After a recent Source engine update (or maybe not so recent,) 90% of my favorite Source mods have broken and are unplayable. And what's the reason? There is no reason! The engine update didn't do ANYTHING useful!

The third reason is they keep making games no one asked for, instead of games people are asking for. Where is Half-Life 3? We've been waiting for seven years, still not a word about it. Instead they go and make CS:GO or something no one asked for. The HL3 delays were funny for four years, but by now it's obvious they don't care about the dedicated HL fans and are neglecting us.

The fourth reason is they've botched Team Fortress 2 for me. What used to be my favorite multiplayer FPS, is now just obnoxious & annoying whenever I see it. The costumes look dumb, the weapons are overpowered or underpowered, pretty much everything is a gimmick now. Also the last two Halloween updates were terrible. And it's not only the design choices, the game is really buggy nowadays too.

The fifth reason is Steam connection issues. Lately Steam has been disconnecting daily, for some people even hourly. Has Valve adressed the issue? No.

Six years ago I thought I'd never say this, but: I don't like Valve anymore.
I just hope they come around again some day.
Viimeisin muokkaaja on Dune Jumper; 25.3.2014 klo 12.54
< >
Näytetään 1-15 / 121 kommentista
Hats.
Stickers.
And a buggy bloated whale of a client.

That's why I don't care for them as a company anymore.
agree
Add daily down time for the Steam service to the list.
I haven't been a Valve fan for a while and buy far less from them then I did and more from their competitors as a result.

I do have to say one thing in regards to the OP's HL3 comment. Be happy that Valve runs a long development time. They take the time with their games. They make good games because they don't have a publisher breathing down their necks. This is good for us, the gamers.

Sure, Valves digital Distibution platform seems like a bloated mess, but Valves game development is top notch, probably the best out there. Source 2 and HL3 are in the works.
Ekan 24.3.2014 klo 12.11 
When you say daily down time shall I assume that you mean the 4-10 crashes per day, everyone I know and me included have. "You don't seem to have an internet connection" Steam client claims. "Oh ♥♥♥♥, gues the guys I'm talking to on skype and the music I'm streaming are all hallucinations" I reply with a bitter taste in my mouth!
_ 24.3.2014 klo 12.13 
Valve became a real mess..
i agree, the new '50 mod limit' has ruined most of my saves.
Ekan 24.3.2014 klo 12.18 
A mess is what a puppie leaves on the kitchen floor after he sleept for 20 minutes. The state of the steamclient and their service right now is closer to being shanked in the eye with a stick covered in the previously mentioned mess.
Well I used to purchase primarily from Steam until I got a rejection of refund on my defective purchase of Fray. I've pretty well stopped purchasing directly from Steam at this point, the only thing I'm purchasing directly from them is DLC for games I already own on Steam. Anything else that requires Steam is purchased through other retailers (with Steam activation).
FIFTH REASON; Any threads not conforming to official Valve propaganda will be deleted post-hate by the Stasi who are only here to silence you/make you disappear.
DocShady lähetti viestin:
I do have to say one thing in regards to the OP's HL3 comment. Be happy that Valve runs a long development time. They take the time with their games. They make good games because they don't have a publisher breathing down their necks. This is good for us, the gamers.
I understand that it takes a long time to make fantastic games. However, I've seen few man teams of MODDERS make games as good (if not better) than HL2 in just two years. Seven is really pushing the limit, especially if they are a professional company with lots of recources.
Viimeisin muokkaaja on Dune Jumper; 24.3.2014 klo 12.37
Dune Jumper lähetti viestin:
I understand it takes a long time to make fantastic games. However, I've seen few man teams of MODDERS make games as good (if not better) than HL2 in just two years. Seven is really pushing the limit, especially if they are a professional company with lots of recources.
Could not care less about the series at this point. I might have still been interested if there was any idication that Valve was actually working on a new entry, instead of finding a way to cram hats ino everything.
Viimeisin muokkaaja on Grimminski; 24.3.2014 klo 12.39
Please, we MUST stop with the quality control discussions. Anyone who has bothered reading interviews or articles regarding the future of Steam should know by now that this platform is moving towards the point of no return where anyone and everyone will be able to publish their games/software regardless of quality. Time for consumers to wise the hell up and FAST!

Now, moving to the other elephant in the room, how hard is for anyone at Valve to step away from their very secretive and epic job and post something regarding what the heck is causing the constant service hiccups of the past 2 weeks?

Throw your customers a bone, at least out of respect for the money they throw at you eh? eh?
Yeah i totally agree and my reasons follow:

The Steam client is dragon drop ♥♥♥♥, selling items to other players is cool to earn a few cents for something you dont want laying in your inventory. I thought when valve updated the UI from the 2003 version I thought at first it looked great. Now it is just laggy, and they are adding features no one needs. Half my profile info is hidden and i have to "get trading cards" to unlock feature.

Personally i think they are waiting for the Source engine 2.0 for Half Life 3 and what not, because compared to todays amazing graphics and lifelike models, Lets face it, the Source engine is dated.

Also this "season pass" thing. I bought CS:GO in full price, doesnt that mean I get the full game? Nope I gotta pay for a season pass for some features. Same thing for TF2, DOTA 2.
That is so scumbagish

Seriously all these changes are starting to remind me of an even ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ company... Microsoft.
Like them, Valve is limiting features for money, which is why I never pay for xbox live. its a total cheat.

I love valves deals and cross platform compatability. But adding to the living room when "gamers" typically use a keyboard and mouse and adding features that are unneccesary.. well shame on you valve.

Silv3r9 lähetti viestin:
Please, we MUST stop with the quality control discussions. Anyone who has bothered reading interviews or articles regarding the future of Steam should know by now that this platform is moving towards the point of no return where anyone and everyone will be able to publish their games/software regardless of quality. Time for consumers to wise the hell up and FAST!

Now, moving to the other elephant in the room, how hard is for anyone at Valve to step away from their very secretive and epic job and post something regarding what the heck is causing the constant service hiccups of the past 2 weeks?

Throw your customers a bone, at least out of respect for the money they throw at you eh? eh?

We'll stop with the quality control moan if Valve realises that copying the Google App Store is bad for users.
< >
Näytetään 1-15 / 121 kommentista
Sivua kohden: 1530 50

Lähetetty: 24.3.2014 klo 11.23