This topic has been locked
Raistlin Mar 1, 2014 @ 10:29pm
I'm Boycotting Multiplayer
NOTE: Before you reply, whether positive or negative please read the whole thing.

Section 1: Explaining
I'm done with anything multiplayer related on Steam. The Steam community has it's share of decent people, but there are also a ton of people who are just bags of ♥♥♥♥. I know what you are all going to say, "Just block them." Well it does work... for that particular person at least. But the amount of these jerkoffs are so great that blocking one means you'll find another one the next few matches or so. These hackers/harassers are particularly abundant on 2 games both made by Valve. Don't know what they are? Left 4 Dead 2 and Team Fortress 2.

Section 2: Left 4 Dead 2 Hacking
I only find hackers on L4D2 and have never encountered anyone whom I believe had been hacking on TF2. On L4D2 I have seen an abundance of hackers. One of which is a user whom I will not name but will refer to as "Bob." I was playing Dead Center on versus mode in L4D2 and Bob was on the enemy tem. As the game went along and got into the 3rd stage of Dead Center I started noticing some strange things. Like whenever he was a survivor and I spawned as a special infected Bob would instantly turn in my direction and kill me. At another point in the final stage of Dead Center Bob was in the elevator which was almost at the bottom floor and I spawned as a jockey on the 3rd floor. The instant I spawned Bob turned around in the elevator and shot me with his sniper rifle, it didn't kill me but it did do severe damage. On the same stage Bob jumped from the 2nd floor down to the bottom floor and didn't take any fall damage. This was only 1 of many hackers I have encountered on this game.

Section 3: Harassment and Idiots
On both L4D2 and TF2 there have been countless harassers I have had to deal with. The most recent of which pushed me over the edge tonight and drove me to write this. This harasser started sending me invites to fake groups of which the names were messages directed at me. I'm not a professional gamer, I admit that, but I'm not a noob either. Some of the names of these groups were things like "Daycare 4 BADDIES." Also tonight I was kicked from a game for no good reason, I say that because I know why they kicked me, but that doesn't make it a good reason. I stopped to heal when I was on really low health and a smoker got me. They came back to save me and a charger and jockey got 2 of the others while the last one able to move freely was being horded. I soon died and decided to try and boost my team's morale by giving them some encouraging talk. Like when the 2 downed guys killed a smoker that had captured the last guy before he could incap the last standing survivor. So I said "Nice save!" but then he got incapped about 10 seconds later and the match was over. While it was ending one of them called a vote to kick me and I said "What did I do?" All of them voted yes and I was kicked. I understand now that they wanted to pin the blame on someone because they were too ♥♥♥♥♥ic to understand that the blame was on all of us as a team.

Section 4: 2 Major Reasons I'm Boycotting Multiplayer
#1: Reporting is Worthless
Unless there is anyone who can prove me wrong reporting another player for hacking/harassing doesn't do anything. How do I know? I reported A guy on L4D2 a little over 2 months ago for hacking, and about a week ago I saw him in a game and he was still hacking. I don't want to say that they don't care about keeping their community clean, but I just don't know what else to say when I see these kind of people whom I've already reported running around like a dog off it's leash.
#2: Games Are Supposed to be Fun
A total no-brainer. That's why they're called "games", because they are meant to be enjoyed. And while I occasionally have fun on these games when they're aren't any harassers or hackers, I have just had so much misery playing that it completely overshadows any enjoyment I get from the game and it's just total misery most of the time when I play these multiplayer games. Because it's hard to have fun playing when all I can think about is going over to the harasser/hacker's home and choking them.

Section 5: Conclusion
If you've read this far then I thank you for bearing with me. I couldn't take it anymore and I needed to express myself. I just want to make one thing clear. I like Steam, and I like the games on Steam, multiplayer ones included. But the fact is that there is a gigantic section of the Steam community which seems only to exist to create misery. Because of this I just have no desire to play these multiplayer games anymore. The only way I would ever play them is if I was playing with people whom I'm friends with in real life. Until then I'm sticking with single player.
Last edited by Tito Shivan; Mar 2, 2014 @ 3:11am
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
wt7 Mar 1, 2014 @ 10:49pm 
Single player TF2
~console
map (map name)
tf_bot_add red (if on Blue)
tf_bot_add 13
tf_bot_difficulty 3
Raistlin Mar 1, 2014 @ 10:53pm 
Originally posted by wt7:
Single player TF2
~console
map (map name)
tf_bot_add red (if on Blue)
tf_bot_add 13
tf_bot_difficulty 3
On games like TF2 single player is pointless. Bots are boring to play with and predictable as well. I prefer playing with real people that can actually think and plan rather than a robot.
Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel Mar 1, 2014 @ 11:39pm 
Then boycott multiplayer, nobody is stopping you.
TeKraken Mar 2, 2014 @ 2:27am 
I felt like the OP once.

Until I found a server that had a bunch of guys that always played on the same server. The server had a gentlemanly conduct rule (no spawn killing or bunny hopping) and there was always (usually) one server admin playing at a time. It was really nice and we had a lot of good banter, I guess we had all been in the same position as the OP at one point or another. Any time a cheat/hacker whatever would appear everyone on the server knew it and they were either kicked by the admin or hounded out. The funniest time was when there was no admin active, we all just stopped playing properly and just started following the cheat around the maps. They soon got bored and left.

I guess it comes down to the games you play and the type of servers that are run for it.
Geraldo Mar 2, 2014 @ 7:00am 
You better not let anybody know. The Multiplayer Police may try to force you to play multiplayer
ReBoot Mar 2, 2014 @ 8:56am 
Well, we're on the public internet here. No cotton wool, no parents. If you go outside, be prepared to meet people who don't give a damn.
Yolo SwaGGins ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ Mar 2, 2014 @ 10:39am 
DO IT
Raistlin Mar 2, 2014 @ 12:00pm 
Originally posted by ReBoot:
Well, we're on the public internet here. No cotton wool, no parents. If you go outside, be prepared to meet people who don't give a damn.
I know that already, but what dumbfounds me are the people who act like total jacka*ses for no reason. Honestly, what kind of twisted, f*cked up person enjoys harassing people whenever they can?
ReBoot Mar 2, 2014 @ 12:02pm 
Originally posted by Saguinary:
Originally posted by ReBoot:
I know that already, but what dumbfounds me are the people who act like total jacka*ses for no reason. Honestly, what kind of twisted, f*cked up person enjoys harassing people whenever they can?
There's even a study on that topic. It was in the news a week or so ago and it's result is: internet trolls are bad people. No really, they've investigated character traits and found that some people are just evil.
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Mar 1, 2014 @ 10:29pm