DJCaseyD Mar 1, 2014 @ 10:58am
Scammers
What is up with all of the "my friend wants you to..." scammer links lately?
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
TeKraken Mar 1, 2014 @ 11:03am 
IMO:
It's like a virus, once they are on one phished account it spreads via the friends list.
[dirrty]gsharp Mar 1, 2014 @ 1:05pm 
Darwin at work.
Alex [Staff]™ Mar 1, 2014 @ 1:38pm 
Ikr. I had at least 1 a week
Laptop65 Mar 1, 2014 @ 2:28pm 
I've never had one of these. Not that I'd fall for one either.
TeKraken Mar 1, 2014 @ 2:30pm 
Originally posted by Laptop65:
I've never had one of these. Not that I'd fall for one either.


I can send you one if you're feeling left out?
(Can you send it back after 'cos I've never had one either)

MrBetaSkull Mar 1, 2014 @ 2:31pm 
I haven't got one, anything to be aware of?
DJCaseyD Mar 1, 2014 @ 2:59pm 
Yeah. Don't click on the link they give you. Being in the IT world, I can't tell you how frustrating it is when you tell people not to click on things and they do anyway. lol
Last edited by DJCaseyD; Mar 1, 2014 @ 2:59pm
TirithRR Mar 1, 2014 @ 3:49pm 
There is no shortage of people willing to fall for the scam, WIth the 300,000 simultaneous players on DotA2, many of which don't understand the Steam interface, English, or Computers and the Internet in general. As long as there are people ready and waiting to be scammed and stolen from, there are thieves ready to do so.

It's like stealing candy from a baby, or shooting fish in a barrel. The users make it so easy and profitable for them, why stop?

Cause even if they ban the account, the whole ordeal cost them nothing but time and I'm sure enough ignorant users out there sent them enough money via paypal and such to make it work the time they spent.
DJCaseyD Mar 1, 2014 @ 3:51pm 
True. i just got another. That's like 3 today and probably 6 or 7 in the last few days.
TirithRR Mar 1, 2014 @ 4:00pm 
I get zero. But I don't trade with the public community. Or play any of the high target "Free 2 Play" games.
DJCaseyD Mar 1, 2014 @ 4:01pm 
Yeah, I'm constanty trading on tf2outpost. That's probably most of my problem. Dont play TF2. I just like trading stuff.
RYG.RSS Mar 1, 2014 @ 4:20pm 
hey. there is also someone who add me and offer a trade. and its a scammer. they send me link just like steamcommunity. if you encounter this. do not log in into that. they will scam your acc.t

this user is one of them. please spead ,,,
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/<Removed>/


report him
Last edited by Tito Shivan; Mar 2, 2014 @ 3:32am
crunchyfrog Mar 1, 2014 @ 5:25pm 
It's not a virus, or even remotely like one.

Like many here, I've not had one - ever. I can tell you pretty surely why this is. I don't play many of the usual online games which have items to be traded.

The scammers are always attracted by the popular and the ones where real cash can be used (even if unofficially). As long as you don't click on anything, and suspect EVERYTHING, you'll be fine.

There's a simple test to remember if you suspect a friend's account has been compromised and a scammer is posing as them, messaging you - ask them a question of which the answer would be something ONLY your friend is likely to know.
Last edited by crunchyfrog; Mar 1, 2014 @ 5:26pm
[dirrty]gsharp Mar 1, 2014 @ 7:26pm 
Originally posted by RYG.RSS:
hey. there is also someone who add me and offer a trade. and its a scammer. they send me link just like steamcommunity. if you encounter this. do not log in into that. they will scam your acc.t

this user is one of them. please spead ,,,
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/<Removed>/

report him

Report him for what? Because he said a bad word to you? Maybe you're some kind of stalker and trying to get him in trouble.

REPORT HIM YOUSELF. You have that power.
Last edited by Tito Shivan; Mar 2, 2014 @ 3:32am
[dirrty]gsharp Mar 1, 2014 @ 7:29pm 
Originally posted by crunchyfrog:
It's not a virus, or even remotely like one.

Like many here, I've not had one - ever. I can tell you pretty surely why this is. I don't play many of the usual online games which have items to be traded.

The scammers are always attracted by the popular and the ones where real cash can be used (even if unofficially). As long as you don't click on anything, and suspect EVERYTHING, you'll be fine.

There's a simple test to remember if you suspect a friend's account has been compromised and a scammer is posing as them, messaging you - ask them a question of which the answer would be something ONLY your friend is likely to know.

Hey Crunchy,

What has been your experience with these people? Do they have lower Steam levels? Less than 2 yrs of service? Own only a few games?

Or are you seeing something else entirely?
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 1, 2014 @ 10:58am
Posts: 19