Shinobi Feb 27 @ 11:13pm
Game Development Discussion - Old School Style FPS
Hi,

I'm Shervin R. Rad an indie game designer.
Can you remember games like DOOM, Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior? They were FPS games made by 2D artworks!

Here is Vlambeer's game made with old school style:
http://vlambeer.itch.io/gun-godz

Do you like old school style FPS games today? Would you like a new indie title made with this old school style? What is your opinion about them?

Shervin
Last edited by Shinobi; Feb 28 @ 12:02am
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
L-r | Canti Feb 27 @ 11:21pm 
I play DOOM occasionally for nostalgic reasons, but there isn't much need for games to be designed this way any more. You can still capture the fast-paced fun of the original without having to use a redundant visual style.

Also I am not sure 2.5D is the right way to describe it. 2.5D is where you are in a 3D environment but are limited to movement only within the 2nd dimension. DOOM etc. are in 3D environments and can move in 3 dimensions.
Shinobi Feb 28 @ 12:13am 
Originally posted by Canti:
I play DOOM occasionally for nostalgic reasons, but there isn't much need for games to be designed this way any more. You can still capture the fast-paced fun of the original without having to use a redundant visual style.

Also I am not sure 2.5D is the right way to describe it. 2.5D is where you are in a 3D environment but are limited to movement only within the 2nd dimension. DOOM etc. are in 3D environments and can move in 3 dimensions.
Thank you Canti.
I agree with you.I changed 2.5D to old school style.
My question is much more related to 2D art.Our game studio focused on 2D art and I want to know if it's OK in FPS these days or not. 99% of FPS game are 3D today.
What do you think?
Last edited by Shinobi; Feb 28 @ 12:14am
L-r | Canti Feb 28 @ 12:45am 
I think it's acceptable if it's done with the preconception of being "art" rather than being "retro-inspred" purely to try and appeal to a demographic.

Simply making a game look like an older game is no longer enough. The market is already saturated with retro-inspired games. The visuals need to be top-notch, not necessarily with fancy graphics but with an appealing aesthetic.
Shinobi Feb 28 @ 1:02am 
Originally posted by Canti:
I think it's acceptable if it's done with the preconception of being "art" rather than being "retro-inspred" purely to try and appeal to a demographic.

Simply making a game look like an older game is no longer enough. The market is already saturated with retro-inspired games. The visuals need to be top-notch, not necessarily with fancy graphics but with an appealing aesthetic.
Sure.I'm totally agreed!
Is it similar to pixel art situation? Doing a pixel art game is not good or bad itself. It depends on art style.
L-r | Canti Feb 28 @ 1:12am 
Exactly.

Games like Legend of Iya, Mercenary Kings and Wizorb are just oozing with style.

Artistic composition is just as important in gaming visuals as it is in a painting, and has very little to do with poly count or texture resolution.
Teiji Feb 28 @ 12:49pm 
Nice to see this, I like these type of games although if i must say. If you want a DOOM style game with the pixelated graphics and fast paced gameplay, what is wrong with just playing DOOM? I don't mean to be negative, I am just seeing it from a consumer perspective. Will it have something that separates you from retro games that are in the market already? I have always wanted the Serious Sam executions in a DOOM like game, change the gun play for a more gritty gory satisfaction from killing monsters up close lol, like a knife kill that grants you adrenaline makign you faster, or take less damage. Just throwing it out there. Do you have a demo or do I need to buy the full game?
Shinobi Feb 28 @ 1:37pm 
Originally posted by Teiji:
Nice to see this, I like these type of games although if i must say. If you want a DOOM style game with the pixelated graphics and fast paced gameplay, what is wrong with just playing DOOM? I don't mean to be negative, I am just seeing it from a consumer perspective. Will it have something that separates you from retro games that are in the market already? I have always wanted the Serious Sam executions in a DOOM like game, change the gun play for a more gritty gory satisfaction from killing monsters up close lol, like a knife kill that grants you adrenaline makign you faster, or take less damage. Just throwing it out there. Do you have a demo or do I need to buy the full game?
Good point.Thank you.
I posted this thread to discuss about possibilities. There is not any playable version yet.
What do you expect from a new FPS game with old-school style?
Teiji Feb 28 @ 2:05pm 
I woud like a meele secondary weapon, like a knife or maybe a tomahawk (throwable and get it back maybe?). I like shooting but it does get me a bit bored after too much minigunning. like I said an energy bar thingy that works as adrenaline, shooting non stop, or meeling enough enemies and you get a few seconds of stupid carnage going on, maybe bullets now make enemies explode in ridiculous ways, run faster and like I said, take slightly less damage. Have you seen the Far Cry: Blood Dragon thing when you use the minigun and don't let go of the trigger? He starts screaming and that alone makes me want to do it as much as i can, it just adds that notch that makes it memorable and much much more enjoyable than simply running and gunning. I would love a DOOM game that does not take itself too seriously, and crosses over to the ridiculous some times.
crunchyfrog Feb 28 @ 3:01pm 
Originally posted by Shinobi:
Originally posted by Canti:
I think it's acceptable if it's done with the preconception of being "art" rather than being "retro-inspred" purely to try and appeal to a demographic.

Simply making a game look like an older game is no longer enough. The market is already saturated with retro-inspired games. The visuals need to be top-notch, not necessarily with fancy graphics but with an appealing aesthetic.
Sure.I'm totally agreed!
Is it similar to pixel art situation? Doing a pixel art game is not good or bad itself. It depends on art style.

I feel it's not just a question of aesthetics.

If you want to make a certain art style work then you better make sure that it's cohesive with the game you're creating.

I'm not sure the graphical 2D sprite style you seem to be going on about will be well-received, but it does all depend on what you plan on doing.

No disrespect, but you seem very amateur for a studio to be asking such questions. There's nothing wrong with that, per se, but you do want to be VERY careful. Should you have an interesting idea, keep it VERY close to you chest - plagiarism is rife.

The best thing I would advise is before you open up too much more is talk to a copyright and IP lawyer - you could get a short advisory internview pretty cheaply. It's also something you would need to have at least at arm's length as a studio in any case.
Shinobi Mar 1 @ 2:27am 
Originally posted by Teiji:
I woud like a meele secondary weapon, like a knife or maybe a tomahawk (throwable and get it back maybe?). I like shooting but it does get me a bit bored after too much minigunning. like I said an energy bar thingy that works as adrenaline, shooting non stop, or meeling enough enemies and you get a few seconds of stupid carnage going on, maybe bullets now make enemies explode in ridiculous ways, run faster and like I said, take slightly less damage. Have you seen the Far Cry: Blood Dragon thing when you use the minigun and don't let go of the trigger? He starts screaming and that alone makes me want to do it as much as i can, it just adds that notch that makes it memorable and much much more enjoyable than simply running and gunning. I would love a DOOM game that does not take itself too seriously, and crosses over to the ridiculous some times.
I know what you are talking about. Thank you.

Originally posted by crunchyfrog:
Originally posted by Shinobi:
Sure.I'm totally agreed!
Is it similar to pixel art situation? Doing a pixel art game is not good or bad itself. It depends on art style.

I feel it's not just a question of aesthetics.

If you want to make a certain art style work then you better make sure that it's cohesive with the game you're creating.

I'm not sure the graphical 2D sprite style you seem to be going on about will be well-received, but it does all depend on what you plan on doing.

No disrespect, but you seem very amateur for a studio to be asking such questions. There's nothing wrong with that, per se, but you do want to be VERY careful. Should you have an interesting idea, keep it VERY close to you chest - plagiarism is rife.

The best thing I would advise is before you open up too much more is talk to a copyright and IP lawyer - you could get a short advisory internview pretty cheaply. It's also something you would need to have at least at arm's length as a studio in any case.
Thank you crunchyfrog.
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 27 @ 11:13pm
Posts: 10