STORDYR Feb 18, 2014 @ 7:46am
What can be linked and postet?
Hello,

i've been banned for advertising some let's play it videos lately and asked the steam support about this. They suggested to have this discussed here.
I was not sure whether or not discuss this openly:
The rules say (from my point of view):
- do not openly argue with Mods (therefore the answers in the ticket seemed strange to me)
- however they do not state, that I am not allowed to post that kind of content.

Can someone help me with this? I'm really not sure, how to deal with this situation.
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
Spawn of Totoro Feb 18, 2014 @ 7:51am 
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=143962136

I suggest reading that.

Here is the specific part:

-----

Soliciting, begging, auctioning, selling, advertising, referrals, racism, discrimination

Long list of keywords, and they're all going to result in topic deletions or bans. This includes any of the following:
  • Begging/Asking others to gift you a game or key
  • Linking to raffles or giveaways
  • Advertising groups, websites, games, products
  • Referral or affiliate links, including Amazon, GMG, etc
  • Any form of racism/discrimination is prohibited, even if it's a joke.

-----

I may not be an all inclusive list however.

The guide is a break down of the Discussions Rules and Guidelines located to the right in any thread.

Off-Limit Topics/Replies
  • Soliciting, begging, auctioning, raffling, selling, advertising, referrals
-----

So linking your "Let's play" video is advertising.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Feb 18, 2014 @ 7:57am
STORDYR Feb 18, 2014 @ 7:56am 
So this includes youtube videos with commentaries for games I bought and own on steam, right?
That'd mean, steam community is not the place to show others, what can be done in this kind of content. Oh. Of course I could link my profile with the youtube the profile. But that still makes it necessary to be friend with a LOT of people and/or have them actively search your profile, for that content, right?

Again: no complaining. I just want to understand this.
Spawn of Totoro Feb 18, 2014 @ 8:02am 
Originally posted by STORDYR:
So this includes youtube videos with commentaries for games I bought and own on steam, right?
That'd mean, steam community is not the place to show others, what can be done in this kind of content. Oh. Of course I could link my profile with the youtube the profile. But that still makes it necessary to be friend with a LOT of people and/or have them actively search your profile, for that content, right?

Again: no complaining. I just want to understand this.

Look at how many "Let's play" people are out there. The forums would be filled with them and similar videos if it were allowed. Everyone trying to get subscribers and monetize their videos to make money.

Yes, this includes any videos like that. I do believe there is a video section you can upload to in Steam where others can view the video. They show up in the video section the relevent game hub.

There are many sites out there that do allow this kind of advertising. The Steam forums, however, are not one of them.
STORDYR Feb 18, 2014 @ 8:43am 
See... THAT'S the answer I was looking for.
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Feb 18, 2014 @ 7:46am