Pocket Feb 10 @ 1:37pm
Did I hit my limit on screenshot uploads or something?
I know there's a limit on how much space we have for screenshots, but I don't know how big it is or whether anyone is informed when they reach it. I ask, because recently I can no longer view full-sized versions of the screenshots I've uploaded. The version that pops up in its own window with a URL I can copy-paste to hotlink on forums. On older pictures it works fine, but since a couple weeks ago, new ones just open an empty window with the loading widget looping forever.

I belong to a TF2 mapping community, so I take a lot of screenshots and post them with commentary, so it wouldn't surprise me if I hit my limit. I just want to know if there's any way to tell if I have, or if something has just gone wrong with Steam's server. Heck, I'll just ask: Has anyone successfully posted a screenshot in the last week and been able to get to the full-sized copy?
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Black Blade (Card Rain) Feb 10 @ 3:49pm 
I think it will message you with something if you have (i did not yet)
Black Blade (Card Rain) Feb 10 @ 4:05pm 
maybe link here to a photo you cant see and il see if i can see it or not?
Slay___ Feb 10 @ 4:24pm 
Originally posted by Muppet among Puppets:
There might be a bug.
If you go there with a browser it wants to load a dat
For me it downloads a file without extension called "download" and if I rename it to "download.png" it becomes an image.

Maybe the file format has dropped out of the full size images and that's why it doesn't show the image?

I haven't been able to open/watch any full sized images for two weeks or more now..
Pocket Feb 10 @ 6:16pm 
Interesting. For reference, here's a screenshot I can view full-size, and here's one I can't. The latter opens an empty window in the Steam browser, and pops up a thing in Firefox calling it an "application/octet-stream" and asking me if I want to download it. Oddly enough, I have a newer screenshot that I was going to use as an example, but now that one is working, so I dunno what the heck.

Both have URLs that are in the same format, ending in a slash like a folder but opening and hotlinking correctly.
Last edited by Pocket; Feb 10 @ 6:17pm
[dirrty]gsharp Feb 10 @ 7:44pm 
Originally posted by Pocket:
I know there's a limit on how much space we have for screenshots, but I don't know how big it is or whether anyone is informed when they reach it. I ask, because recently I can no longer view full-sized versions of the screenshots I've uploaded. The version that pops up in its own window with a URL I can copy-paste to hotlink on forums. On older pictures it works fine, but since a couple weeks ago, new ones just open an empty window with the loading widget looping forever.

I belong to a TF2 mapping community, so I take a lot of screenshots and post them with commentary, so it wouldn't surprise me if I hit my limit. I just want to know if there's any way to tell if I have, or if something has just gone wrong with Steam's server. Heck, I'll just ask: Has anyone successfully posted a screenshot in the last week and been able to get to the full-sized copy?

I seem to recall a 2GB limit on screenshots.
[dirrty]gsharp Feb 10 @ 7:47pm 
Interesting. For reference, here's a screenshot I can view full-size, and here's one I can't. The latter opens an empty window in the Steam browser, and pops up a thing in Firefox calling it an "application/octet-stream" and asking me if I want to download it. Oddly enough, I have a newer screenshot that I was going to use as an example, but now that one is working, so I dunno what the heck.

Both have URLs that are in the same format, ending in a slash like a folder but opening and hotlinking correctly.

How odd. The Steam Client keeps a copy of all your screenshots locally. Can you view the problem one locally?
Pocket Feb 10 @ 10:34pm 
Yep. And it clearly processed it fine, since the shrunken-down versions are visible where they appear.
K.A.R.R. Feb 11 @ 5:05am 
Interesting. For reference, here's a screenshot I can view full-size, and here's one I can't.

Can you see THIS version of the one that you can't see:
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/577887044157342628/809359C3B25A83E73A170C103FB587F7B78B033D/

or this one...

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/577887044157342628/809359C3B25A83E73A170C103FB587F7B78B033D/

Valve does often have issues with cloud / cloud-2 not working properly. (Or you could have blocked one or the other on your pc)
Last edited by K.A.R.R.; Feb 11 @ 5:06am
Black Blade (Card Rain) Feb 11 @ 5:15am 
i can see the second one the first one gives me download...
[dirrty]gsharp Feb 11 @ 5:59am 
Yep. And it clearly processed it fine, since the shrunken-down versions are visible where they appear.

How about deleting the problem one from the Steam Cloud and re-uploading it?

I realize that might not be the fix you're looking for but it might workaround the problem.
[dirrty]gsharp Feb 11 @ 6:42am 
Originally posted by Muppet among Puppets:
Originally posted by dirrtygsharp:
How about deleting the problem one from the Steam Cloud and re-uploading it?

I realize that might not be the fix you're looking for but it might workaround the problem.
Why is the problem there in the first place?

I suspect when the screencap was first made, the encoding was either interrupted and/or corrupted. It's almost like the file header has extra garbage in it...or something attached to it.

(this is a guess based on symptoms)

EDIT: More info. His good screencap has a .jpeg extension. His bad one has no extension at all.
Last edited by [dirrty]gsharp; Feb 11 @ 6:44am
Pocket Feb 11 @ 10:58am 
What Black Blade said; the one on cloud works but the one on cloud-2 doesn't. I didn't realize there was a copy of every image on every server, each with its own subdomain. You'd think they'd have done a dynamic setup for that sort of thing, with a single URL and the master server relaying the first copy it can actually find.
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 10 @ 1:37pm