areachi Jan 31 @ 1:32pm
Achivement hacking
Guys please tell me, why are so much people hacking their achivements?
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
< >
Pewpewmoar Jan 31 @ 1:59pm 
Because they think achievements mean something to other people.
TeKraken Jan 31 @ 2:59pm 
Because they like living on the edge of a ban?
MicHaeL MonStaR Jan 31 @ 7:35pm 
Greed... Insatiable need for power... Bragging-rights... Wanting to be the best (or at least have the top stats) and have everything (again, greed)... and so on...

I don't see why you have to ask. You know these people exist.
areachi Feb 1 @ 12:10am 
This is a problem but Valve is doing nothing with it! They should give some temp bans at least...
TastyToast Feb 1 @ 12:23am 
im more curious why people care so much about what other people do? its not liek they are hacking in a game and owning you. it affects you in no way. steam acheivments are worthless anyways except to give the person a sense of accomplishment. if they wanna unlock all the achievments and ruin that, who gives a ♥♥♥♥.
MicHaeL MonStaR Feb 1 @ 12:35am 
Originally posted by TastyToast:
im more curious why people care so much about what other people do? its not liek they are hacking in a game and owning you. it affects you in no way. steam acheivments are worthless anyways except to give the person a sense of accomplishment. if they wanna unlock all the achievments and ruin that, who gives a ♥♥♥♥.

Cause it's unfair and they don't earn it? I know, we're just talking virtual achievements here, it's not like they're like stealing anything in real life, but still, they shouldn't just be able to take what they want.

Also, we might be talking about achievements here, but the same people tend to also use cheats in terms of gameplay, and thát is what dóes affect other regular/fair players. They ruin the game by unfair play, basically in some form of "god mode" and what's the fun in that? They can do it if they keep it offline, but not jump online and mess with a game.
That's why they should be punished for what they do. Just play with what you're given in the official product, use cheats offline or in singleplayer or whatever, but don't ruin a game for others.
TastyToast Feb 1 @ 2:07am 
Originally posted by MicHaeL MonStaR:

Cause it's unfair and they don't earn it? I know, we're just talking virtual achievements here, it's not like they're like stealing anything in real life, but still, they shouldn't just be able to take what they want.

Also, we might be talking about achievements here, but the same people tend to also use cheats in terms of gameplay, and thát is what dóes affect other regular/fair players. They ruin the game by unfair play, basically in some form of "god mode" and what's the fun in that? They can do it if they keep it offline, but not jump online and mess with a game.
That's why they should be punished for what they do. Just play with what you're given in the official product, use cheats offline or in singleplayer or whatever, but don't ruin a game for others.
if valve cared they would code steam to break the acheivment unlockers. in the mean time worry about your own acheivments and not what someone else on the internet earned or didnt earn on their own that doesnt affect you.
ReBoot Feb 1 @ 2:16am 
if valve cared they would code steam to break the acheivment unlockers.
The only way to achieve that is to lock down the entire operating system to make sure that no authorized code can run. Buy a console.
Drunken Feb 1 @ 2:17am 
I don't really care about accounts of people I don't know, but I don't like cheaters in general.
It influences the percentage of how many people got an achievement. Sometimes it feels good to look at these numbers after an accomplished challenge. You just don't know if these numbers are real.
(SOGA) SouthernBoy Feb 1 @ 2:24am 
I personally do not care about such, but others must feel diifferently and must have something that they did not earn, hum does make you wonder tho.
GenPattonBR Feb 1 @ 5:38am 
Originally posted by TeKraken:
Because they like living on the edge of a ban?

There is way for Steam to find out one is using a hack to unlock achievements. Unless the user is very stupid and doesn't follow some simple instructions.
MagicBall Feb 1 @ 5:47am 
Actually, in tf2 you get certain achievement items and when my friend did it i reported him. I know it might sound stupid reporting your friend but that's what I had to do.
Kargor Feb 1 @ 6:05am 
Originally posted by Drunken:
It influences the percentage of how many people got an achievement. Sometimes it feels good to look at these numbers after an accomplished challenge. You just don't know if these numbers are real.

Well, you have know what cheaters can and cannot do.

Cheaters CAN unlock any achievement. However, cheaters cannot re-lock an unlocked achievement (Steam support could do that, but I've never heard about this being a service that they are actually offering).

What this means is that they can basically increase the % of people who have that achievment, but they cannot reduce it. So, if you got an achievement that only 1% of the players have, it might be "1% of the players and cheaters have this", but it's still just 1% of these. So, if you take out the unknown number of cheaters it means even fewer actual players have this achievement.

Of course, family sharing can dilute this in both directions: the same person can get an achievement multiple times, or they could play the game enough for the %-calculation to take it into account, but not actually continue playing it on that account which effectively reduces the %.
Such dilution, however, is probably a very low number, so it might not affect the % at all.
GenPattonBR Feb 1 @ 7:52am 
Originally posted by Kargor:
Cheaters CAN unlock any achievement. However, cheaters cannot re-lock an unlocked achievement (Steam support could do that, but I've never heard about this being a service that they are actually offering).

What this means is that they can basically increase the % of people who have that achievment, but they cannot reduce it. So, if you got an achievement that only 1% of the players have, it might be "1% of the players and cheaters have this", but it's still just 1% of these. So, if you take out the unknown number of cheaters it means even fewer actual players have this achievement.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but the program used to unlock an achievement can be used to re-lock them. It is as easy as check/uncheck a achievement's checkbox and save the info.

I'll not mention the name of the program than manages the steam achievements (so I don't get banned or anything), but I am positive it can do all that.
Jesse9766 (banned) Feb 1 @ 7:59am 
I got my achievements from this one random server that had a plugin to automatically unlock all your achievements. You really think I would know that if I joined this one server that had my favorite map on it, I would get all the achievements?
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 31 @ 1:32pm