SyKoTiK | Twinkie 30 януари в 3:11след.
Steam's Banning System
How is it that a Steam member who has been repeatedly filed for harassment walks free, yet the one to openly complain to him is banned in no less than a day? My brother was harrassed and banned from several steam servers by a single individual who repeatedly insulted him. This character then was met on another server as my brother tried to find another game to play. He joined a random server, and here was this offensive character again, who then proceeded to kick him again. thankfully the vote failed, and the character left.

However, my brother made the rather unintelligent choice of posting on said character's profile page complaining about him. He then filed a report on his harrasment. My brother was then banned for harassment, I believe. I have now reported the user as well for, in all honesty, being a jerk.

I there no way to get rid of troll like this?
Показване на 1-10 от 10 коментара
< >
Jade 30 януари в 3:41след. 
Were these official Steam servers or privately run servers? If they weren't Steam servers, there's not much Valve can do.

Your brother, however, insulted the person on Steam, meaning that Valve staff were actually able to ban him.

Eye for an eye is not a good tactic. Harrassing a harasser will not get you anywhere.
Последно редактиран от Jade; 30 януари в 3:42след.
Tito Shivan 30 януари в 3:50след. 
I suggest also to use the function to block communication withsaid user.
SyKoTiK | Twinkie 30 януари в 4:16след. 
Първоначално публикувано от Jade:
Were these official Steam servers or privately run servers? If they weren't Steam servers, there's not much Valve can do.

Your brother, however, insulted the person on Steam, meaning that Valve staff were actually able to ban him.

Eye for an eye is not a good tactic. Harrassing a harasser will not get you anywhere.

I completely agree that it was wrong for him to do so, and yes, these were official steam server.
SyKoTiK | Twinkie 30 януари в 11:37след. 
Luckily, my idiot brother got his account back. maybe he will act more maturely in the future. this discussion shall stay open for other opinions for the next couple days until either closed by myself, or a moderator.
wiltzu 31 януари в 1:47сут. 
Well this just proves that people in steam ban people just for lulz...
ᴷᴬᴿᴿ 31 януари в 1:57сут. 
Първоначално публикувано от wiltzu:

Doesn't prove anything.

We don't know what's happened. If one user has reported someone several times (repeatedly) you'd be more likely to ignore it because it may look like a personal attack.

We also don't know if the person who was being reported was a hijacked account and is now back in the hands of the original owner.
SyKoTiK | Twinkie 31 януари в 2:42сут. 
Първоначално публикувано от KARR:
Първоначално публикувано от wiltzu:

Doesn't prove anything.

We don't know what's happened. If one user has reported someone several times (repeatedly) you'd be more likely to ignore it because it may look like a personal attack.

We also don't know if the person who was being reported was a hijacked account and is now back in the hands of the original owner.

The account was not hijacked. I was looking at his personal profile, and he does most certainly do this for "lulz." In the comments section, there was a post of a guys complaining that he was booted by this character, SEVERAL months earlier.

not only have I reported him, but so have my brother, and a friend or two at most.
Jade 31 януари в 4:02сут. 
Първоначално публикувано от GRB Resevoire:
The account was not hijacked. I was looking at his personal profile, and he does most certainly do this for "lulz."
Wiltzu was saying that Steam bans people "for the lulz". That is absolutely not true.

not only have I reported him, but so have my brother, and a friend or two at most.
What game did the harassment take place in and are you sure they were Steam's own servers?
Zefar 31 януари в 6:15сут. 
Is this on a game server? Is this on the community discussion? Is this in a game?

Also there is no such thing as Steam people. Steam is a program which is owned by Valve. Valve does moderate the community but often it's a futile effort due to the large userbase.

On the Steam Discussion we the Volunteer Moderators deal with most stuff around here but we have no power in someones game. We're quick to respond to stuff here because we deal with far less than what Valve deals with.

If this is about a dedicated server, you'll have to find the host of that server to ban him if the game have the tools to do so.

Also there are like 6-7 million active people on Steam now. The amount of reports that would generate daily on people who behave badly would be immense.
SyKoTiK | Twinkie 31 януари в 3:34след. 
Първоначално публикувано от Jade:
The account was not hijacked. I was looking at his personal profile, and he does most certainly do this for "lulz."
Wiltzu was saying that Steam bans people "for the lulz". That is absolutely not true.

What game did the harassment take place in and are you sure they were Steam's own servers?

I'm sorry, I didn't mean steam, and it took place on Team Fortress 2.

Първоначално публикувано от Zefar:
Is this on a game server? Is this on the community discussion? Is this in a game?

Also there is no such thing as Steam people. Steam is a program which is owned by Valve. Valve does moderate the community but often it's a futile effort due to the large userbase.

On the Steam Discussion we the Volunteer Moderators deal with most stuff around here but we have no power in someones game. We're quick to respond to stuff here because we deal with far less than what Valve deals with.

If this is about a dedicated server, you'll have to find the host of that server to ban him if the game have the tools to do so.

Also there are like 6-7 million active people on Steam now. The amount of reports that would generate daily on people who behave badly would be immense.

I unserstand it is Valve who runs it, and that the Moderators really can't do anything about this issue, but the point is to discuss issues here right?
and it was not a dedicatied server, but one of Valve's own, number 148 or something like that.
And I'm sure Valve has a lot to deal with already, but the fact that this guy has been reported several times with no action visible so far, and the fact my brother was banned in one try is disturbing.
Показване на 1-10 от 10 коментара
< >
На страница: 15 30 50
Дата на публикуване: 30 януари в 3:11след.
Публикации: 10