#sixty Jun 14, 2014 @ 7:15pm
Steam level is all about money
Edit: Further proof Valve is getting greedy, Summer Sale flag conteset of who can spend the most money! This whole event has been a failure, everyone is claiming it's rigged, it's all about money, it's not fun, etc.

Want to increase your team points? Go spend $30 on the steam market for an icon! Want to decrease a teams points? Go spend $20 on the steam market for an icon! Want to craft those badges? Spend $2.00 every craft level! Want to switch teams? Go buy the $5 token! Want these cool new items for X game? Waste $2.00+ crafting cards.

Why can't players get XP for beating games, getting achievements, etc?

Why is the Steam level all about spending $? That's literally all it means:

High steam level = Wasted $ to craft cards
Low steam level = Didn't waste $ to craft cards

IT'S JUST A SYMBOL OF WHO SPENDS MORE MONEY. COMPLETELY STUPID FOR A GAMING PROFILE. Steam level should be more like a gamerscore from personal gaming achievements, not how much money you're willing to give steam in exchange for a higher number.
Last edited by #sixty; Jun 25, 2014 @ 11:23pm
Showing 1-15 of 77 comments
< >
zoooney Jun 14, 2014 @ 7:18pm 
i was dumb..addicted and yea steam level 40 lol
TirithRR Jun 14, 2014 @ 7:32pm 
I'm level 15 and haven't spent any money on it. And haven't crafted any game badges.
chiken Jun 14, 2014 @ 8:33pm 
Just get to level 10 and sell the rest of your cards and ♥♥♥♥♥. Might even be able to afford a game eventually by doing this
Gus the Crocodile Jun 14, 2014 @ 9:00pm 
Indeed, achievements can be cheated, so you'll be swapping high levels being something you think is unfair for one reason, to it being unfair for another reason.

And since games aren't free, even if it was based around gaming achievements it will still be a symbol of wealth. (As well as a symbol of who has the most absurd amount of free time, another thing I wouldn't really say is worth celebrating)

Just don't read any meaning into the "levels" and there isn't a problem as far as I can see. If someone looks down on you because they're a higher level, well, they're an idiot, but I don't think that's very common, luckily.
Last edited by Gus the Crocodile; Jun 14, 2014 @ 9:01pm
Kargor Jun 15, 2014 @ 2:59am 
Originally posted by marko:
Why can't players get XP for beating games, getting achievements, etc?

While it doesn't change the fact that Steam is all about money, your list of options -- possibly excluding the "etc", as I don't know much about that one at all -- can be easily cheated. And the second anything that can be cheated actually gives you ANY form of benefit, the cheats will be all over the place.

Right now, Steam doesn't even record "beating a game", and while achievements are occasionally cheated I still think they work well enough to get an impression of how well the other person might know the game.
KB_GAMEOVER Jun 15, 2014 @ 4:11am 
People can hack there achievements so that will be why. but it is all about money if you have to pay to get more next cards. all the people you see level 100 are just people with far too much time on there hands.
Last edited by KB_GAMEOVER; Jun 15, 2014 @ 4:13am
Tito Shivan Jun 15, 2014 @ 4:44am 
http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/faq/
Do I get Trading Cards for completing achievements in game?
Trading Card drops are currently just tied to playtime within a game, independent of which achievements you are getting. We will definitely look into adding more rules for how cards are dropped in the future, but there are a few problems with in-game achievements that prevented us from using them right now. Many games have achievements that are grindy or un-fun to get, and we want the act of getting game cards to be fun for all users in games. We also don't want to push users to cheat or use achievement-unlockers in games in order to get cards, since that devalues achievements and isn't that fun either. Achievements are still valuable, and having the Achievement Showcase on your community profile is a great way to show off those rare achievements.
♫TGC> The Games Collector Jun 15, 2014 @ 5:49am 
Originally posted by Gus the Crocodile:
And since games aren't free, even if it was based around gaming achievements it will still be a symbol of wealth.
^this, is an interesting point.
Because of all the achievement trackers on the net, I've only seen 1 so far that actually includes a few free flashgame networks.
Kododie Jun 15, 2014 @ 12:04pm 
I have been here for awhile, but honestly I don't really know how can one lvl in here. I just know that big part of it are cards. But I never got more then 5 per game.
Silicon Vampire Jun 15, 2014 @ 12:57pm 
We've not added a single penny to our wallets for cards for three different accounts. Everything spent on cards has been generated from the sale of other cards. In fact, some of the proceeds from those sales has helped pay for some of out purchases.
Ineffable Anathema Jun 15, 2014 @ 1:09pm 
Originally posted by Silicon Vampire:
We've not added a single penny to our wallets for cards for three different accounts. Everything spent on cards has been generated from the sale of other cards. In fact, some of the proceeds from those sales has helped pay for some of out purchases.

Someone is paying for those cards when you sell them, though, and Valve gets a cut of it. That's why it's inevitably tied to money, because "Steam wallet funds" don't generate themselves from nothing, there has to always be someone paying in actual cash somewhere to the system to keep it going. Everyone making a few cents off of cards and no one putting money in the wallets would end up with a lot of empty Steam wallets pretty quickly. Wallets are tied to real life cash, and Valve is making real life cash from the whole trading and leveling system.
Silicon Vampire Jun 15, 2014 @ 1:42pm 
My point was, you don't have to spend anything of your own, if you do not want to.

Choices.
Ineffable Anathema Jun 15, 2014 @ 1:44pm 
Originally posted by Silicon Vampire:
My point was, you don't have to spend anything of your own, if you do not want to.

Choices.

True, but not everyone can do it or the system won't work anymore. Eventually it will run out of funds.
HydrixHD Jun 15, 2014 @ 1:48pm 
yeah, it should be like you earn xp whenever you earn achievements in games
ev0kje Jun 15, 2014 @ 1:50pm 
you dont need money if you do it smart
Showing 1-15 of 77 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jun 14, 2014 @ 7:15pm