Skindiacus Jun 11, 2014 @ 7:05pm
Backgrounds and emoticons are worthless
A lot of people like me have more than one background in their inventory. That second background is now worthless. Their values are essentially one cent, but it would be lower if possible. Same with emotes. You won't ever use many of the emotes that you own, and selling them will get you almost nothing.
My question is: is there any way to give emotes and backgrounds a value? There are far more backgrouns than accounts on Steam [citation needed]. Are they doomed to be lying around in Market or in someone's inventory?
Why aren't backgrounds rarer? Were these rock-bottom prices intended? Are backgrounds supposed to be worth less than a single trading card?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 44 comments
Donitsi Jun 12, 2014 @ 1:29am 
Cards increase your Steam level and increase your friendlist size. :Corpus: :csgogun: emoticons are just for fun
Black Blade Jun 12, 2014 @ 4:17am 
Some like it some do not..
And there are some more rare Background and so on that sell for even 100$ :D: so calling it worth less.. do not know if that is too true
Skindiacus Jun 12, 2014 @ 6:23am 
I suppose so. But most of them are pretty worthless.
Emotes are just for fun, I know, but you will not use the majority that you own. And the rest of them are worthless. That have almost zero trading value. And it will take a long time to sell, for only 1 cent.
Mattio Jun 12, 2014 @ 7:32am 
They're not entirely worthless to me, I don't mind if they have no price value because I can keep them for a huge choice of backgrounds that I can change every once in a while.
I do really hate dupes though, I can't stand having 2 of the same item I usually give them away to a friend. I can't imagine what it's like to have flush's inventory.. all those dupes :gaper:
Fork_Q2 Jun 12, 2014 @ 7:50am 
Originally posted by Skindiacus:
Emotes are just for fun, I know, but you will not use the majority that you own. And the rest of them are worthless. That have almost zero trading value. And it will take a long time to sell, for only 1 cent.

Some people really find value in them.
marianne~ Jun 12, 2014 @ 7:51am 
Originally posted by Muppet among Puppets:
:Rubber_Duck:

Awwww...He's cute. :D

I sold many of my emotes cause I really don't smoke a pipe. I had a lot of things that relate more to guys. :)
DefeatedBroom74 Jun 12, 2014 @ 8:08pm 
ill take back grounds and emotions
Satoru Jun 12, 2014 @ 9:01pm 

Value is relative.
Would have prefered custom backgroud like Dedura rather than money making sheme of valve.
Black Blade Jun 13, 2014 @ 7:03am 
Would have prefered custom backgroud like Dedura rather than money making sheme of valve.
And have many 18+ And some gore once... not sure that been so good for the kids around here
Originally posted by Black Blade:
And have many 18+ And some gore once... not sure that been so good for the kids around here

Its no different than custom profile picture we have now!
GenPattonBR Jun 13, 2014 @ 11:09am 
I creafted over 110 badges in the last 2 days, so I got 110 new backgrounds and 110 emoticons. The problem however is that about half of them are duplicates. It's not even worth selling them, because they're just worthless (although I got 3-4 that are more expensive). I wish I could trade the duplicates, but all the trading forums only deal with cards. Nobody seems to be interested in trading backgrounds.
Skindiacus Jun 13, 2014 @ 2:33pm 
Value is relative.
There are emoticons that I will never use that other people would use. But the current trading system makes it very difficult to find said other people. (Same for backgrounds)
I suppose my complaint is that backgrounds and emotes are FAR too common. Most backgrounds are not with people that will use them, hence they are worthless. The least we can do is give them artificial value by making them rarer.
Tiel Jun 13, 2014 @ 3:03pm 
Both of them are just for the lulz. It really depends who you are, if you want to customize your own background and/or have emoticons while chatting with friends. :tank:
Originally posted by GenPattonBR:
I creafted over 110 badges in the last 2 days, so I got 110 new backgrounds and 110 emoticons. The problem however is that about half of them are duplicates. It's not even worth selling them, because they're just worthless (although I got 3-4 that are more expensive). I wish I could trade the duplicates, but all the trading forums only deal with cards. Nobody seems to be interested in trading backgrounds.

Value is relative.
There are emoticons that I will never use that other people would use. But the current trading system makes it very difficult to find said other people. (Same for backgrounds)
I suppose my complaint is that backgrounds and emotes are FAR too common. Most backgrounds are not with people that will use them, hence they are worthless. The least we can do is give them artificial value by making them rarer.

Firstly, apologies if anyone is offended by me 'necroing' this thread...

Secondly, there must be plenty of us that want to trade our dupe emoticons & backgrounds. I agree with everything you guys have said. From that I can only but glean that some bright spark needs to create either a Steam Community Group or external website (à la steamtrades.com or bazaar.tf (e.g.) that could cater to said trading).

I'd be right up for that - & would happily give of my time to such an endeavour.

Edit
=====
There is a Community Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/TradingWin
Last edited by ⭐=Vu= zarathustra⭐; Aug 8, 2014 @ 5:40pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 44 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jun 11, 2014 @ 7:05pm