GenPattonBR Jun 4 @ 7:55am
1 year ago today....
Exactly 1 year ago - June 4th, 2013 - Steam was introducing the "Mystery cards", that days later turned out to be the "Steam Summer Getaway Trading Cards".

From June 4th until the end of the 2013 Summer Sale, ppl who crafted badges could randomly receive a mystery card. At that moment nobody knew about or what they were. Not all badges crafted received the mystery cards, although the frequency at what they were given increased throughout that month.

Later in June the Mystery Card was automatically converted to what we now know as the Summer Getaway Trading Cards. They were a bit expensive then, and since everybody was looking to craft badges the entire community market saw a rapid increase in cards prices, pretty much like what we saw last December.

Why am I saying this? Well, not only it is exactly 1 year today, but that day the market behaved quite erratically, exactly like it is behaving today.

I will not be surprised if today or in the next few days something like that happens again.
Showing 1-15 of 78 comments
< >
Sarah Jun 4 @ 10:26am 
Agreed..just wait for it..
DrugsBunny Jun 4 @ 10:54am 
Are you saying ill be able to sell all my trading cards for more money!
GenPattonBR Jun 4 @ 11:09am 
Originally posted by DrugsBunny:
Are you saying ill be able to sell all my trading cards for more money!

I believe so. I have been stocking cards for the past week, so I am literally betting on it. If "history repeats itself", and it has twice, cards prices will skyrocket in the next few days.

Cards have a natural tendency to have a price drop over time, and this is what Steam does to raise the prices to more profitable levels (rememeber that Steam takes a percentage from every sale, so the more expensive they are, the more money Steam makes).

Besides, this kind of promotion from Steam also increases the interest in trading cards, which increases the amount of cards sold in the market.

As you can see, this is a win-win situation for Steam: they make more money in the price increase and in the sales volume.
aleks Jun 4 @ 11:22am 
yeah
GenPattonBR Jun 4 @ 6:41pm 
I was right! The snow globes are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Archalyus ♣™ Jun 4 @ 6:45pm 
I really hope you're right. I got 11 of the Holiday sale cards!
Last edited by Archalyus ♣™; Jun 4 @ 6:45pm
GenPattonBR Jun 4 @ 6:52pm 
Originally posted by Archalyus:
I really hope you're right. I got 11 of the Holiday sale cards!

The first part of my theory was dead on!

We all got the snow globes back, but if you pay attention, they are not the same games as they were in 2013! The snow globes are for different games now! They have different names.

In a few days they'll change their descriptions, and we'l be able to craft this year's summer badge with them. Now they selling for about USD 0.03-0.04, but in a week or two, they'll be worth a lot more than that, simply because the badges will be "craftable" and they'll have and expiration date.

Also, be aware that all trading cards prices will go up drastically. Stock up!
Dixie Flatline Jun 4 @ 6:53pm 
Originally posted by GenPattonBR:
Theory? What theory?
Archalyus ♣™ Jun 4 @ 6:55pm 
Originally posted by FS Archduke:
Theory? What theory?

People randomly got alot of Holiday Sale cards. Similar to what OP said happened before LAST year's Summer Sale.
Last edited by Archalyus ♣™; Jun 4 @ 6:55pm
GenPattonBR Jun 4 @ 6:56pm 
Theory? What theory?

Read my original post (I am the OP). about 10 hours ago I predicted what was gonna happen today, and now we have the snow globes back. The snow globes are actually part of the Summer 2014 sale, and they'll change in a few days.

Actually, I am so certain about what I am saying that I just bought 200 snow globes, because they're still very cheap. People still thing they can't be crafted, but they'll be craftable in early July.
Last edited by GenPattonBR; Jun 4 @ 7:05pm
Dixie Flatline Jun 4 @ 7:09pm 
Theory? What theory?

Read my original post (I am the OP). about 10 hours ago I predicted what was gonna happen today, and now we have the snow globes back. The snow globes are actually part of the Summer 2014 sale, and they'll change in a few days.

Read my post, I'm the one who posted the question you quoted. About 10 minutes ago, I asked you what theory? In response to you claiming your theory (or part of it) was correct.

__

So far you have provided cpnjcture and postulation as wella s something of a vague connection between the time of year and that Valve would (again) introduce something of a coommunity item-based promotional event.

Absolutely nowhere do I see any specific "prediction of what was going to happen (i.e. you did not post "Today, snow globes will re-appear in inventories" ) nor does your "theory" explain anything through a supposition of principles...
GenPattonBR Jun 4 @ 11:44pm 
Originally posted by Muppet among Puppets:
Snowglobes for summer event?
Snowglobes........

You'll see! Just wait!
Black Blade Jun 4 @ 11:45pm 
Originally posted by Muppet among Puppets:
Snowglobes for summer event?
Snowglobes........
I guess they will change to summer once soon
EaglePaW Jun 4 @ 11:49pm 
Agreed ...