[IA] KT (BBL) Jul 14 @ 12:26am
Steam Cards website is really an untrustworthy scam site?
I was reading about this and I know this is still going around and is now even updated so that you don't even know they took your info (unless you are on top of things and deny access):

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/06/26/updated-steam-phishing-scam-automates-ssfn-upload/
Last edited by [IA] KT (BBL); Jul 14 @ 12:26am
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
Black Blade Jul 14 @ 3:53am 
To be honest these is nothing new, was like there for a while now also before the summer sale (if that is not the last year summer sale that is)
[IA] KT (BBL) Jul 15 @ 10:35am 
Well a friend on Skype was sharing and others were sharing and clicking his link because every click counts as a point toward him getting a Steam Wallet card. I found it suspicious and WOT (Web of Trust) also marked it as suspicious, so I warned him about it. I did some searching but could not find anything exactly about this one but only past cases of scams related to the Steam Wallet or Steam Cards. Does anyone know if the following is a scam??In his case the site is called Steam-Cards (I attempted to make the link non-clickable below since I don't feel it is trustworthy but want to educate and warn people) where it says:

Share this link to get points. Each time someone clicks on your link you'll be awarded with one point. Reach enough points and Steam Wallet codes is yours!

$20 Steam Wallet card = 20 points [LOCKED]
90223 items in stock

$50 Steam Wallet card = 50 points [LOCKED]
9899 items in stock

$70 Steam Wallet card = 70 points [LOCKED]
2367 items in stock

$100 Steam Wallet card = 100 points [LOCKED]
1008 items in stock

How does this work?

Copy your unique link an share it in Facebook, Twitter, Google+, forums, with your friends on Skype or anywhere else. Each time someone clicks on your unique link you'll be awarded with on click. Reach enough clicks and exchange them for Steam Wallet cards!

© 2014 - All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners in the US and other countries.
This website is not affiliated in any way with Valve Corporation or any of their partners. Steam is registred trademark of Valve Corporation.
This website and its services comes with absolutely no warranty.

I have already verified that the clicks are registered and at 20 points the $20 one goes from [LOCKED] to [UNLOCKED] which brings you to a page ending in /working.php (again I am not putting the whole link). I did not go any further than that because I don't want to put my Steam account at risk just to investigate this (I have investigated scams in the past).

The WhoIs info on it says it is new:

Expires On May 06, 2015
Registered On May 06, 2014
Updated On June 06, 2014

No real reputation built up.

I am considering checking it out further with my netbook which does NOT have steam installed but before I do any such risky behaviour I wanted to ask if anyone else knows more about this particular one.

Thanks.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Jul 24 @ 5:00pm
[IA] KT (BBL) Jul 15 @ 10:50am 
Okay I did more researching by looking up the site owner's email address and came across verification that it is a scam:

http://-

http://-

Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Jul 24 @ 4:57pm
Black Blade Jul 15 @ 12:05pm 
ya its a scam.. they cant earn the amount to make it worth for them to do it, so it gives no sense to be real
I even heard some of these sites have something in the end that you get to "login to Steam" then they steal your account.. so i really prefer not to trust these sites

Even more if they try to look like officiel Steam
Last edited by Black Blade; Jul 15 @ 12:06pm
secludedprism45 Jul 16 @ 12:59am 
it ays download your steam card wicth must be a virus
UberFiend (Banned) Jul 16 @ 1:06am 
Originally posted by IA KT the Killer Timebomb:
Each time someone clicks on your link you'll be awarded with one point.

$100 Steam Wallet card = 100 points

Yeah... right... pull the other one, it's got bells on it.

Smells pretty high on the bull$#@!ometer.
Last edited by UberFiend; Jul 16 @ 1:08am
Muppet among Puppets Jul 16 @ 1:08am 
How should encouraging spamming of an url that asks for spamming be legit?
DoctorDingDong Jul 23 @ 10:31pm 
(About the possible steam wallet link click scam) Can I still get hacked and messed up by this scam if I only got three clicks on my link? BTW, I am not getting anymore clicks or even sharing the link. Please respond, thanks
Last edited by DoctorDingDong; Jul 23 @ 10:36pm
Black Blade Jul 24 @ 12:11am 
Originally posted by DoctorDingDong:
(About the possible steam wallet link click scam) Can I still get hacked and messed up by this scam if I only got three clicks on my link? BTW, I am not getting anymore clicks or even sharing the link. Please respond, thanks
If you did not login there or something you be fine
If you login on the site then you may

Any way you can change the password from inside the client i think to be safe
[IA] KT (BBL) Jul 24 @ 3:51pm 
Seems to be safe as long as you did not click on the php file that because visible after one of the "steam cards" becomes "UNLOCKED" (which really just unlocks the scam to scam you and can even be manipulated by using proxies). Do NOT click on the UNLOCKED as then it scans your computer for your Steam and I believe after that it wants you to download a file to "verify" which then will steal your account as well as keep you busy with some dumb questionaire thing to keep you oblivious. I have not verified the parts after the Unlocked as I did not want to risk my account but research has revealed the rest.

One way to see if a site is trustworthy is how long it has been up for. If a site has not been up long or has no long term intention (scams usually expect to be taken down so they don't pay for too long of a talk .. so not longer than 1 year of service) that is one indicator that this is a scan. As I mentioned earlier the whois says that:

Expires On May 06, 2015
Registered On May 06, 2014
Updated On June 06, 2014

Also typically php files can execute things and are commonly used by scammers (valid sites use them as well but I learned never to click on php pages of suspicious sites).
Last edited by [IA] KT (BBL); Jul 24 @ 3:54pm
Muppet among Puppets Jul 24 @ 4:05pm 
Seems to be safe as long as

Unsafe things are never safe.

One way to see if a site is trustworthy is how long it has been up for.

The only way to see if a site is trustworthy are reputated sources, combined with common sense.

Short example how your definition fails: A site could be made for long (even disguised as something else) and then be used as a bad thing.
Or scams can be placed in "good sources" as well.
I AM SHODAN! Jul 24 @ 4:55pm 
It's really quite simple, folks.

>Unofficial sources
>Asking for a login, upload/download, or other personal information
>Promising something for almost nothing (clicks, surveys etc.) as a nice juicy peach to dangle in front of you

>SCAM.
Spawn of Totoro Jul 24 @ 5:00pm 
From what I have heard, even if you click the unlock, it requires to to do a survey in order to get the wallet funds. Even then, it will keep disqualifying you from the survey so they don't ever have to pay out.

Please don't go bypassing the filter and/or posting possible malicious links.
[IA] KT (BBL) Jul 24 @ 5:48pm 
Steam-Cards website is a SCAM - Please read and be warned!
There are real steam cards you can buy in stores and then there are websites saying you can get them for free. The websites are scams. DO NOT TRUST!!

I had posted previously but it wasn't understood that I was proving it was a scam .. not advertising the scam.

There are STILL people falling for this scam. Is there any way to get Steam to post an announcement that this is a scam?

I have been doing my part by telling the people who have been falling for it that it is a scam (already 2 have been advertising and spreading the link who are on my Skype). But this is now the 2nd time I have seen a person advertise this .. warning on Skype is not enough! Since it has to do with Steam I thought what better place to warn that here?

It is bad enough they are spreading it but worse they are telling all their friends that they SHOULD spread it.

The first person on my Skype who fell for it is now warning people not to trust them in his Skype status but then today I saw another person start spreading it. Why don't people research stuff before spreading this garbage??

Okay, I just had the 2nd person tell me thanks for warning them and that through them a 3rd person who almost fell for it was told it was a scam. I am now telling them to share this page instead of the scam so that people know NOT to fall for it.

Because of who it is hosted by it probably will be up for awhile sadly so we can't depend on the scam being taken down. All I can think of to do is warn people.

Moderators: See no links! Previous links were pointing to pages proving it was a scam but people can just learn to research and find them thierselves this time. I also have already emailed Valve security about this scam hoping they will warn people.

All others: There is NO reason to reply. Just read. Thanks. There are no reasons to insult anyone who falls for this as there are a lot of kids on Steam who might still be too trusting.

If you feel you may have already fallen for this scam and you are worried your account might be at risk, contact Steam Support for individual support and always change your password (to something not used anywhere else) and make sure you remember it. Thanks.
Last edited by [IA] KT (BBL); Jul 24 @ 6:44pm
Dendrobates Tinctorius Jul 24 @ 6:46pm 
There are STILL people falling for this scam. Is there any way to get Steam to post an announcement that this is a scam?
No, because the sort of person who thinks they'll get fifty dollars worth of stuff for free because a dozen of their friends clicked a link a couple times will neither read nor understand an announcement that they are not the 1000000th visitor and clicking the monkey will not give them an ipod.
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 14 @ 12:26am