YerMum'sSexyBum Jul 27 @ 5:17pm
Steam's community leaders sleeping on the job?
How come the numerous reports for offensive profiles go untended? What's the point in a report function of any kind when they clearly don't work any queues of reports? There's a good dozen or so I've reported in the past couple of months for racist and/or anti-semitic imagery and text (often a username and supporting user profile icon alone making it abundently clear) but weeks and weeks later, the accounts are still active and these people still playing, being abusive in games, and their identities untouched.

Will Steam ever get their business in order and enforce its terms of service, and community standards? When people finally begin to lose access to their libraries of games because of their conduct, perhaps people will finally begin to act with some humanity.

Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Probably because people are too sensitive and spammed them in to the ground with trivial reports.
Last edited by ­­­­­­Τhe Spooky Cheese Wheel; Jul 27 @ 6:40pm
Nele Jul 27 @ 6:57pm 
Yes, they should take every notice from "YerMum'sSexyBum" very serious, I think.
Rita Vrataski Jul 27 @ 7:12pm 
How about you go about things like a normal person, ignore them and go about your business.
YerMum'sSexyBum Jul 27 @ 7:23pm 
Because a username gives or takes away validity of an argument. Yes. Well done.

And Nya, how about we try and have a community that rejects hate speech, fascism and anti-semitism? Ignoring it and carrying on is not the way to fight such cancerous conduct.
Originally posted by YerMum'sSexyBum:
how about we try and have a community that rejects hate speech, fascism and anti-semitism? Ignoring it and carrying on is not the way to fight such cancerous conduct.

Sorry, I'm for free speech and expression no matter how offensive or absurd. The only cancerous disease here is your need to censor instead of simply blocking and ignoring the speech or expression you don't want to hear or see.
Nele Jul 27 @ 10:42pm 
Originally posted by YerMum'sSexyBum:
Because a username gives or takes away validity of an argument. Yes.

Using a username that is s*xist, will not help your arguments or how others will think about you.

@Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel:
I do not think free speech is a freecard to hurt others and act as a total a**hole.

I also report users from time to time, if I think something is too much (s*xism, fascism, hate or whatever else).

The real problem is, that a lot of the gamers think it is cool to have a username that makes fun of s. o.or debase s. o. - unless they feel hurt themselves.

Seeing women reduced to b*tts and b**bs isn`t half as funny if you are a woman, so feel free to start with yourself to stop harassment in steam, instead of just judging and reporting others and change your username.

Thank you
Matt Jul 28 @ 12:02am 
Are these people bothering you? I have no doubt that it's possible to search for inappropriate profiles, but unless they are actively contacting you then just let them be.
Joki the Sauceror Jul 28 @ 1:02am 
Good lord.
OP's name isn't sexist. It isn't particularly funny, but sexist? Really? That's quite a stretch. Can we try and stick to what he/she actually says, and not the things we'd like to infer from them?

On the one hand I'm in favor of letting people say whatever stupid things they want to say. It helps to identify them. In some ways life would be much easier if everyone wore their racism on their sleeve.

Part of the problem here is that we're dealing with the entire world, and different countries have different laws on what's allowed and what isn't. Where I live, and in several other countries, it's literally illegal to display Nazi memorabilia/propoganda/etc. People are in prison for "denying the Holocaust", that sort of thing.

But what country is Steam? Whose laws should they enforce? That they've provided you with a way to report those who you find offensive is maybe about as far as they can or even should go. As far as I know there's nothing in the TOS that guarantees that someone will be banned or have their library access revoked merely because they offended someone else. If the system were automatic it would be a horrorshow for everyone involved.

So that means that every report needs to be looked at by a human being, to determine its legitimacy and what action should be taken. This is why it takes so long.

At any rate I agree that we as a community should do a better job of policing ourselves, but that's much easier said than done. For the reason outlined above but also because, as one person pointed out to you, some people see your desire to do so as "cancerous". But the fact is that every society that exists or ever has does exactly that: they determine what's acceptable and what isn't, and then they institute laws to punish those whose behavior they can't control. We as a community can do the former, but when it comes to the latter we have no power at all except words and perhaps "shunning" people, i.e. ignoring them.
YerMum'sSexyBum Jul 28 @ 2:54am 
Originally posted by Nele:
Using a username that is s*xist, will not help your arguments or how others will think about you.

I also report users from time to time, if I think something is too much (s*xism, fascism, hate or whatever else).

The real problem is, that a lot of the gamers think it is cool to have a username that makes fun of s. o.or debase s. o. - unless they feel hurt themselves.

Seeing women reduced to b*tts and b**bs isn`t half as funny if you are a woman, so feel free to start with yourself to stop harassment in steam, instead of just judging and reporting others and change your username.

Thank you
:bbtduckshark:

@Nele, you make some startling assumptions based on my selection of username. Where on my private profile does it display my name, s-x, orientation, personal gender identification? On what basis are your judgements made?

If my name were to say "WomenAreForS-x", or "WomenSuck" then yes, this would be s-xist. If my username were to say something like "Women'sButtsRule" this would not be s-xist but quite crass and arguably misogynistic, whilst identifying a penchant for a particular anatomical feature (just as saying "DudesAbsMakeMeHorny" might be similarly so). As it stands my username does not degrade women wholesale, nor objectify them in even the broadest of brushstrokes. What it does is mocks the enemy when killing them in first-person-shooters (in admittedly quite an immature way, and as @Jokimoto points out, probably unfunny to many), as they see the message "you were killed by..." followed by that username - which is a peurile attempt to make their in-game death a little more annoying to them.

I would suggest that a better grounding in what s-xism is and how it relates to our world might be worth seeking. I would suggest the following books which were useful to me during my time at university when seeking to further my understanding of feminism (predominantly through a third and fourth wave lens) and gender issues - as well as reaching an informed appreciation of the dangers of misrepresenting s-xism and how feminist tropes are hijacked to undermine it by the loose application of misunderstood arguments.
1) The Whole Woman, by Germaine Greer;
2) Reclaiming the F Word: The New Feminist Movement, by Catherine Redfern and Kristin Aune;
3) Living Dolls: The Return of Sexism, by Natasha Walter;
4) Yes Means Yes: Visions of Female S-xual Power and a World Without ♥♥♥♥, by Jaclyn Friedman and Jessica Valenti;
5) Who Stole Feminism?, by Christina Hoff Summers.
If you want to explore female identity and the performative nature of s-x and gender in society (not s-x as in the act of reproduction, sorry folks!) through the lens of the neo-burlesque artform, take a look at The Happy Stripper, by Jacki Willson. It is quite enlightening to study how a form of entertainment some find demeaning and ingrains societal misogyny is, to some, empowering and politically enabling, and thus illustrates the prismatic nature of feminism. There are plenty more of course, but these are the few titles within immediate sight on my study bookshelves which I can easily copy down from my seat.

I hope this helps in reconsidering your claims of a s-xist username. I suspect exploring some publications on the matter might build a closer understanding of where your argument falls short. If not, and even if your opinion remains unchanged, a little extra reading never hurts :)

@Jokimoto expands upon the argument regarding free speech and offensive names and profiles very well and largely expounds my own opinions here. Where I might go further is to argue that freedom of speech is something which one can do in a public space, with the expectation that counter-opinion can and may be voiced - for example that may be a written response to a published article or letter, an opposing voice on the street, or an opposing viewpoint broadcast in response, etc. Where a user profile and image falls short of free speech is that it is typically not open to being countered with any argument (reasoned or otherwise), and thus goes unanswered. This could be interpreted not as speech, but propagandising. Allowing a type of hate-speech to go unanswered and unchallenged, and indeed presenting it with a degree of protection by failing to either confront their conduct or allowing a guarantee of counter-speech on the same page, is arguably tantamount to condoning the opinion being voiced. An example (taking things to some length but drawing a fair paralel) might be a local county hall allowing a chapter of the KKK a billboard poster and refusing the right of locals to respond in any way such as protesting, writing about it, or posting up their own opinion on the same physical location, and guaranteeing that any responses in opposition are ignored or forced to be in private and in silence.

One could also point out that, from a purely American point of view, the definitions of what constitutes free speech is massively distorted in recent times by supreme court decisions around the rights of corporations and what constitutes personhood, let alone their speech. You will note that the laws of other countries MUST be kept in mind, because wherever a page can be seen or accessed can often be interpreted as reproducing the content in that country and therefore becomes subject to their laws.
This is why, for example, hollywood A-Listers often use the court system of the United Kingdom to sue publications for libel, because if the false claims made about them under 1st amendment protection in the USA is accessible online or re-sold through outlets in the UK, they become completely open to rebuke by that system. Likewise Steam is accessible in overseas territories, and therefore the imagery and statements published upon it fall somewhat within the domain of overseas legal boundaries.
Of course to expect any and every page to automatically comply is unrealistic and would require every profile and post to be authorised first. This is madness. However, the self-policing element of allowing users to submit a report for this to then be acted upon is viable. The problem is, however, that few or no reports seem to be followed through.

I do not go looking for profiles, but occasionally view those of people I come up against within games who write or vocalise hate speech such as racism, s-xism, homophobia, anti-semitism, and so on, which compels me to view their profile to see if they're just nasty trolls trying to push buttons or are genuinely hateful people whose conduct is unwelcome (indeed I used to run a blog posting screenshots of their in-game comments and hate-speech to point out to the game administrators [not steam, please note] that the report function they build into the game is not being followed through upon as these people had not been dealt with in the way detailed in the EULA).
When there are people whose names are explicitly targeted at denigrating people of colour, women, LGBTQ community, with disabilities, or from specific religious groups, and this is supported by offensive imagery and language on their profiles, this steps outside the bounds of what is generally acceptable in society and therefore should also be outside of acceptable norms in the gaming community. Their profiles are often not open to debate or counter-argument, nor can one discuss their beliefs openly - particularly when they are "private" or comments not allowed. Therefore the only recourse is to submit a report for user misconduct and expect that this be reviewed and acted upon.

Now if there is suggestion Steam HAS looked at a report and considered it to have no merit, and has a good reason why, perhaps they should look at introducing a system akin to FaceBook where a user-submitted report will generate a response to that user confirming action has been taken, or confirming it has not, and why. Having worked in online service roles I know that it adds ten seconds to a list-working task to select a couple of dropdown boxes identifying a job outcome in order to send a default script generated reply to a given user. This should not overly burden the people who may be working the report queues.
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 27 @ 5:17pm