This topic has been locked
Detroit Sep 2, 2014 @ 2:53pm
Dispute Billing with Bank Can Go Awry with Steam (Advice)
Heads up, earlier this year I bought Borderlands 2 because it was on sale, in addition, I added some DLC. After I paid, I did some online research to what I bought and I found out that I have duplicates. For starters, Steam does not advise their customers well enough when buying DLC to inform them that their purchases maybe duplicates. Back to the subject, I asked Steam for a cash refund because I paid with a credit card and I do not want to incur interest. Steam only provided me with a gift card or Steam credit. I contacted my bank to initiate a dispute, since I did a batch purchase it was only a partial dispute. A few months later, Steam realized that I disputed with my bank, and they did not contest the dispute but they put my account on hold. What really troubled me was that I only did a partial dispute and I still expensed money to Steam but do not have a game and DLC in return. Meaning, Steam violated the law and stole from me. Funny, but Steam knowingly or unknowingly committed a crime. I even wrote Valve Corporation Managing Director a letter mailed via USPS; explaining the misconception and I never received a reply. So now I am advising everyone to do due diligence on their purchases and pay with debit card because Steam do not care about your financial woes. If you want to dispute a charge, with your bank because of Steam’s operating procedures be prepared to be robbed as if you live in Detroit.
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Silicon Vampire Sep 2, 2014 @ 3:05pm 
store pages do tell you at checkout if there are things included that are already in your games library. Ignoring that is what started this. You can't expect to defraud Valve by doing a charge-back and suffer no consequences.
Black Blade Sep 2, 2014 @ 3:07pm 
If i am not wrong its first of all impossible to buy a DLC for your self if you own it all ready

And if you charge back you are passing on the SSA so you past the law, and i do think the SSA also has something abut allowing Valve to take your license for a game, so they did not do any crime
Actually, by filing that dispute, you violated the... :/ hmz, was it in the ToS or the EULA... (hmz, I should re-read it again).

Either way, it's in the agreement you accepted.
http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

What's wrong with getting store credit by the way? Isn't that still a refund?

:/ you probably should've notified them before doing that.. Not really sure how it works, it's different depending where you're from, and I never needed a refund anyway so got no exp's in that.

Either way, you could still contact them to try and fix things to get your account back...
Last edited by TGC> The Games Collector; Sep 2, 2014 @ 4:47pm
The only crime committed here is you attempting to commit payment fraud on a merchant. You even have the audacity to gloss over the checkout screen which explicitly tells you exactly what you are getting and not getting on a purchase.

You then went on to not only not accept the credit refund as a sign of a good will, but opened a dispute because you felt like you deserve a cash/bank refund for a mistake that you committed? Wow.
Last edited by Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel; Sep 2, 2014 @ 8:08pm
Satoru Sep 2, 2014 @ 8:32pm 
IT's also amazing that you even turned down the store credit. YOu weren't even entitled to that. The fact that they even offered you the option itself was a minor miracle and you turned that down.
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Sep 2, 2014 @ 2:53pm