Itaidesu Aug 22, 2014 @ 6:01pm
Currency change for steam users in Japan.
Games in Japan have always been more expensive. I can deal with that, steam has alway had competitive pricing and great sales.
But in the last week with the currency change from USD to Japanese YEN, most, if not all of the newer games have increase by ¥1000 (10$) i.e Borderlands the pre-sequal went from $59.99USD to ¥7000 ($70USD) with the currency update.
Luckily their are other options; Greenmangaming being very reasonable.
But I still feel that steam and let me down.
< >
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
Chika Ogiue Aug 22, 2014 @ 6:50pm 
Actually the Borderlands games have always been $10 more in Japan than in the US. Same with all the other 2K games. That price hike wasn't a result of adopting yen pricing. And in fact, you'll notice that a few of the price hiked games actually dropped in price by a few dollars with this change (Capcom games, for example).

As for Greenman Gaming, they don't sell most of their catalogue to customers in Japan, so good luck with them.
zesaaki Aug 23, 2014 @ 6:57pm 
Borderlands The Pre-Sequel
List price $ 59 99

That's Exchange Rate
Japanese Yen ¥6 234

Present price
Japanese Yen ¥ 7,000

The difference
$ +7.37 = \ +766
Last edited by zesaaki; Aug 23, 2014 @ 8:54pm
Snorkledorf Aug 23, 2014 @ 11:32pm 
I'm a little worried about the "convenient!" localized pricing, but it's nice to have an extra payment option.

As a test I tried the Konbini payment, and it does add a service charge to your order of something like 180-190 yen. So it's probably a good idea to buy in batches rather than 1 at a time if you use that method. Just an FYI for other people in Japan.
Kiwiburner Aug 24, 2014 @ 7:42am 
This is a huge middle finger to steam customers based in Japan. Most foreigners here can't even get Japanese credit cards, so on top of the increased prices, we're paying those ♥♥♥♥s in VISA and kombini cartel and financial institutions premiums for using our own outside-Japan issued cards or the "convenient!" service.

♥♥♥♥ em. I'll buy from origin using a VPN just to spite them
Chika Ogiue Aug 26, 2014 @ 2:15am 
Originally posted by zesaaki:
Borderlands The Pre-Sequel
List price $ 59 99

That's Exchange Rate
Japanese Yen ¥6 234

Present price
Japanese Yen ¥ 7,000

The difference
$ +7.37 = \ +766

That's the US list price though. The Japanese list price (if Steam were still using USD for Japan) would have been $69.99. 2K have been pricing content in Japan at $10 higher than the US for years. For example, until Gearbox looked into it, most of the campaign DLC for Borderlands 2 was priced at $20 in Japan on Steam as opposed to $10 in the US.

The move to Japanese yen has actually reduced the price hike. Sure the price is still high, but it's not as high as it would be if USD were still being used.
zesaaki Aug 26, 2014 @ 3:06am 
It is likely to be to use a calculator while

Consumption tax of 8% is applied in Japan
It will likely be a price similar

Thank you for response
Last edited by zesaaki; Aug 26, 2014 @ 12:44pm
efryblanc Sep 16, 2014 @ 9:53pm 
yeah...me in malaysia, same thing...i bought it around USD 54.00 then came out with the ringgit malaysia system...suddenly it is rm 105.00 = 105/3.4= USD 31.00....should i refund? or why is it so cheap? i bought it very expensive
lausy Sep 17, 2014 @ 7:18am 
same in singapore. after converting to S$, everything is 15% more expensive. Is this a joke from Steam? Why are they screwing the customers?
efryblanc Sep 17, 2014 @ 7:32am 
Originally posted by lausy:
same in singapore. after converting to S$, everything is 15% more expensive. Is this a joke from Steam? Why are they screwing the customers?

some games is cheaper...some game are the same...look at borderland...it is on rm105.00 that is 50.00SD only!
Satoru Sep 17, 2014 @ 7:36am 

I'm not sure what calculator you're using but almost everything on Steam is much CHEAPER in Singapore Dollars than USD. 25% BETTER

CSGO: $14.99 USD = $18.94 SD vs $15 SD native
Shadow of Mordor $49.99 = $63.15 SD vs $49 SD native

a few games like DayZ and DeadRising 3 are priced closer to the original USD price but you're still doing about 3% cheaper even with those 'normalized' prices.
Last edited by Satoru; Sep 17, 2014 @ 7:37am
lausy Sep 17, 2014 @ 7:42am 
@efryblanc @satoru.....you guys are right...clearly i was drinking too much.....thks...
Last edited by lausy; Sep 17, 2014 @ 7:42am
Satoru Sep 17, 2014 @ 7:45am 
@efryblanc @satoru.....you guys are right...clearly i was drinking too much.....thks...

An easy way to compare prices on the Steam store is to use the "Enhanced Steam" extension for your browser. On each store page by the price there will be a 'globe' icon. When you hover over it shows you the price of that agme in other regions. You'll see that for many games, if you compare it to the original USD price, you're doing a lot better.
Snorkledorf Sep 25, 2014 @ 1:42am 
Thanks for the tip Satoru, that's very cool. On the few that I've checked it looks like the Japanese prices are actually pretty good compared to what I'd be paying in USD.
efryblanc Sep 25, 2014 @ 4:33am 
dude thanks!

Originally posted by Satoru:

An easy way to compare prices on the Steam store is to use the "Enhanced Steam" extension for your browser. On each store page by the price there will be a 'globe' icon. When you hover over it shows you the price of that agme in other regions. You'll see that for many games, if you compare it to the original USD price, you're doing a lot better.
< >
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Aug 22, 2014 @ 6:01pm