Mauii Aug 3, 2014 @ 11:48pm
might wanna check this out and ban them
might wanna check this out and ban them

link removed
Last edited by erλm; Aug 4, 2014 @ 8:34am
Showing 1-15 of 27 comments
< >
Kargor Aug 4, 2014 @ 12:12am 
First of all, that's the same guy (apparently) who made Enhanced Steam. So it's certainly not a phishing tool.

Second, it's really Steams very own fault to require the games to actually run to drop the cards. I do a lot of "download game, idle for a few hours, delete game". This is ridiculously dumb.

I can really understand why someone would want such a tool -- heck, I've wanted one since they started doing the cards. Might even be using it in the future. Either way, the source might be interesting to see how it actually makes users appear "in game".
Black Blade Aug 4, 2014 @ 2:40am 
Why to ban users that want to drop all there cards? is there any thing wrong abut it that they need to be ban for it?
Mauii Aug 4, 2014 @ 2:56am 
Originally posted by Black Blade:
Why to ban users that want to drop all there cards? is there any thing wrong abut it that they need to be ban for it?

oh there's nothing wrong with wanting to get your cards. and btw. it's NOT because they want their cards that i suggested a ban. might wanna work on your comprehension skills.

Black Blade Aug 4, 2014 @ 2:57am 
Originally posted by Grimlock:
oh there's nothing wrong with wanting to get your cards. and btw. it's NOT because they want their cards that i suggested a ban. might wanna work on your comprehension skills.
so why to ban them? you did not really give any reason
Mauii Aug 4, 2014 @ 3:01am 

you're cute.
jobert Aug 4, 2014 @ 3:28am 
I agree with Black Blade, why ban them?

I mean, I'm certainly not going for this but what's the difference between downloading the game and running it on idle (i do that myself by the way. I made like $15 during the steam sale selling the cards) and this app that idles the game without downloading it?

Unlike achievements where gameplay is required to get the achievements, cards only require gametime.

So why the ban?
Black Blade Aug 4, 2014 @ 3:36am 
Originally posted by Shasow:
Well then... my post disappeared. Mods don't close this thread but take the effort to delete my post?
May be a bug. my post was also deleted, but i really cant find the reason...

you're cute.
Thanks
But what is the reason then? you have yet to give the reason why to ban them
Kargor Aug 4, 2014 @ 3:54am 

Well, technically, the software is probably messing with Steam internals. I doubt there is an official API to just pretend you're running a certain game.

While the reason for doing this is perfectly ok, a sufficiently malicious company -- and I'm willing to assume Steam qualifies for that -- might just quote some obscure rules that forbid messing with the Steam client for any reason whatsoever.

In fact, Steam SHOULD do the opposite, and actually reward the guy (they can mention Enhanced Steam in their speech too, if it makes them feel better). Gigabytes might be very cheap for Steam, but I doubt they are "free". So, a tool like this might save them a tiny bit of money by eliminating game downloads to just get the cards.

If course, they can't do that unless they want to come up with an answer to "why do you even require gametime to hand out the cards?". I would be very interested in hearing an answer to THAT :-)
Last edited by Kargor; Aug 4, 2014 @ 4:00am
Mauii Aug 4, 2014 @ 3:54am 
idling is one thing. having a 3rd party program to make you appear idle w/o being in-game is another
Shasow Aug 4, 2014 @ 3:58am 
Originally posted by Kargor:

Well, technically, the software is probably messing with Steam internals. I doubt there is an official API to just pretend you're running a certain game.
There is... sort of. You can change the appid of some games to make Steam think you're running that game. I'm guessing that's what this program does. Nothing "wrong" with that.
Black Blade Aug 4, 2014 @ 4:17am 
Originally posted by Shasow:
There is... sort of. You can change the appid of some games to make Steam think you're running that game. I'm guessing that's what this program does. Nothing "wrong" with that.
That is exactly what it dose

idling is one thing. having a 3rd party program to make you appear idle w/o being in-game is another
How? i mean its not like it cost them something
And to be honest its even good for the game Dev as more seem as it will seem like more users are playing these games
And for Steam it look more active play by users

So over all its not really giving out any harm to any one out there

Originally posted by Kargor:

While the reason for doing this is perfectly ok, a sufficiently malicious company -- and I'm willing to assume Steam qualifies for that -- might just quote some obscure rules that forbid messing with the Steam client for any reason whatsoever.

In fact, Steam SHOULD do the opposite, and actually reward the guy (they can mention Enhanced Steam in their speech too, if it makes them feel better). Gigabytes might be very cheap for Steam, but I doubt they are "free". So, a tool like this might save them a tiny bit of money by eliminating game downloads to just get the cards.

If course, they can't do that unless they want to come up with an answer to "why do you even require gametime to hand out the cards?". I would be very interested in hearing an answer to THAT :-)
Well if they just hand out the cards as a pack when you buy the game will it been anything to do with game play? the card drops give the game a show to be seen as played and can also help users to play some games while they get the drop and try them instead of just collect them
And i do not think Valve pay for a Gigabytes, but they pay for some amount every mouth no matter how much they use
K.A.R.R. Aug 4, 2014 @ 5:18am 

The same reason that they stopped Team Fortress 2 idling?

On September 2, 2009 blog post, Valve took a zero-tolerance stance against the use of external applications to manipulate the item system, removing all items earned through these applications to date.

The person that made the idling tool, that made it look as if you were in TF2 idling was manually VAC banned and every item dropped was deleted. They then further attempted to stop idling by changing it so you could only get items if you were there to 'accept' it.

OF COURSE..... one could argue that games like CS:GO and TF2 idling costs Valve money as people won't purchase what they can get, whereas the more cards there are out there, the higher the chance of selling them to make Valve money.

But that would cynical!
Black Blade Aug 4, 2014 @ 6:31am 
@KARR i think that is most likely happen as first of all there was no limit to it, so you can idle for ever and drop for ever something you cant do with these

Also Idling harm the players as they had a player that did not play and just stand there all day and did not help in the game no?
TheOdds Aug 4, 2014 @ 7:11am 
Not sure how I feel about this. I see no harm in idling cards, but this tool takes it too far. I don't think the people should be banned for using it, that would be way too harsh, but I don't think it should be allowed either.

It's almost like Steam Achievement Manager, you are only cheating yourself. Remember when people actually played games instead of pretending to play them.
Black Blade Aug 4, 2014 @ 7:27am 
Originally posted by TheOdds:
Not sure how I feel about this. I see no harm in idling cards, but this tool takes it too far. I don't think the people should be banned for using it, that would be way too harsh, but I don't think it should be allowed either.

It's almost like Steam Achievement Manager, you are only cheating yourself. Remember when people actually played games instead of pretending to play them.
How is the tool taking it too far? so far i had to download a game some times a really big one that i have no time to play right now just to get its cards.
I mean i am going to play that game, i just cant right now and i have all these cards to drop from many games, and to be honest i want it to be over i want to just drop all of them so i can pick a game to play by how i feel at that time and not by what game has cards..

I have lots of games, some i played all ready in the past (sometimes in other account) some i own on the PS or something, i do not want to download the game all over again just for the cards of it, even more if i finish it all ready

As you pointed out i want to play the games for the game, i buy them for there fun and time, not to get the cards that sometimes i just wait to drop so i can get over it and play the game from start to finish with out that pop out or nothing else but the game it self
Showing 1-15 of 27 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Aug 3, 2014 @ 11:48pm