jordan1mac3 Nov 14, 2012 @ 3:07pm
steam wont update
I just downloaded steam on my Mac and when i click to open it, it loads an error message saying that it has to be online to update. How do I turn it online?
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
jordan1mac3 Nov 14, 2012 @ 4:00pm 
it also will not let me play the game after i click to play on the internet browser...help please!!!! i just need to know how to "turn steam online"
PN_EGG_Vinomcobra Nov 15, 2012 @ 3:24am 
check your firewall (security in system preferences and make sure it allows connection to steam
jordan1mac3 Nov 15, 2012 @ 7:13pm 
yeah my firewall is off on my mac, and its not working.
zuzuru07 Nov 18, 2012 @ 1:38pm 
I'm having exactly the same problem! I normally play offline, but now when I try to launch either a game (Civ V) or Steam, I get the following message: "Steam needs to be online to update, but was set to offline mode." So how can I change it to online if I can't launch the &^%*%$&%&^ program? I've submitted this issue to Steam Support. If I get the solution, I'll post it here. (I have downloaded the latest version of steam and continue to have the problem. It's not a firewall issue.)
zuzuru07 Nov 18, 2012 @ 1:57pm 
OK, I dug deeper into the forums and found this clue:

"In Lion, the Library folder is hidden so you won't see your Steam folder. If you don't want to mess around with the registry or enter Terminal commands, you can simply go to the "GO" menu, select Go To Folder, and enter: ~/Library

You should now be able to see the Steam folder, and the registry.vdf file inside that. Simply rename the file, or delete the full stop so that Steam doesn't recognise the file (you can delete the file, but best to rename first as if this fails, you might want to be able to revert back).

Once the file has been renamed, you should be able to start up Steam and get back online. Note: if the above fails, try following all of the steps again but rather than starting up Steam, re-install it instead.

Worked for me - I'm now back online.

Happy gaming!"

The registry.vdf file was found thru this pathway: Users/username/Library/Application Support/Steam. I renamed the file, Restarted the computer, and successfully launched Steam, which proceeded to update.
jordan1mac3 Nov 26, 2012 @ 11:10am 
is your software on 10.8.2? thats where mine is at and i do not know what youre talking about lol
your mum Jan 18, 2013 @ 2:14pm 
Same thing is happening to me. But i just got Steam so when i type in all the stuff to go to that folder it says: folder not found
CL4P-SHP33 Feb 8, 2013 @ 1:28am 
I have a similar problem, It says I need to confirm my network connection in order to play, but my Wi-Fi is perfect, how do I fix this? (ps, my system is 10.7.5)
schachtc Mar 1, 2013 @ 6:24pm 
how do you update steam if offline
Swag Master Spongebob Mar 14, 2013 @ 7:41pm 
what do you rename it??
CL4P-SHP33 Mar 29, 2013 @ 5:01pm 
I think you just have to make a copy of steam, trash the first one, go to launchpad and click on the steam there, it worked for me.
Amazing Afroman May 3, 2013 @ 10:42pm 
Just down load the latest version off the steam website and install it again.
etters01 May 14, 2013 @ 4:24pm 
It says " cannot update because you need stable internet. I HAVE GREAT INTERNET
agentoracle May 14, 2013 @ 5:42pm 
I just got mine to permit steam to use the internet: on OS X, go to system preferences. Go to Security. Go to Firewall. Click "set access- etc." Below the empty window on the bottom left, lik the + button. Then find Steam in your appliations folder, add it. Find TF2 in your appliations folder, add it.
Mfashnick May 15, 2013 @ 4:43pm 
My Mac hangs on "Updating Steam... Checking for Available Updates..." I've tried reinstalling, including blanking out the Library folder. I've tried changing the firewall settings. My trouble ticket is 8 days old and stale.
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Nov 14, 2012 @ 3:07pm