YaBoi$tax Sep 9, 2012 @ 11:56am
Star Wars Dark Forces (MAC OSX)
I don't understand why steam has Star Wars Dark Forces but only for PC I hate it when they do that wats the point of only having 1 version of it when there are 3 computer versions DOS, MAC, and PC. Now I understand why they don't have the DOS version because my understanding is that steam is only for pc, mac, and I think somewhat ps3. But why not include a version for mac. Steam would make a hell of a lot more money if every game in their library compatible with mac was available for purchase.
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
DE_PRODIGY SKYWALK Sep 11, 2012 @ 10:32am 
It does seem like a missed business opportunity. There were Mac editions of Doom, Doom 2, and Wolfenstein 3D as well, and while PC gamers can purchase them via Steam today Mac can not oddly enough. Does Valve/Steam not want more money?
Level12Boss Sep 11, 2012 @ 12:04pm 
tl;dr: this has nothing to do with Valve or Steam.

The problem is usually less about Valve or Steam and more about whomever continues to own the rights to the games. Often with older games the rights holders don't want to bear the costs of providing support. They'd rather leave the game in cold storage than provide the fan service to a handful of die-hards.

I'd also point out that Dark Forces is a very old game. Since OSX 10.7, there is no more support for Rosetta, which is what allowed old OS7, 8 and 9 software to run in emulation. And since 10.4 and the death of the PowerPC architecture there has been no support for the Classic environment (pre-OS9 software). It would probably require a whole new port to get Dark Forces to run on a modern Mac, or third-party emulation software that few gamers are likely to have.
YaBoi$tax Sep 11, 2012 @ 6:58pm 
thank u obiter i kinda had that thought in my head but wasn't sure however i dont understand why they let us purchase games like jedi academy i find it odd i think it has something to do with it not being on the mac app store cause if u notice jedi outcast kotor force unleashed sith edition and empire at war are all on the mac app store and the only star wars games available on steam to be played on mac its just odd isnt it
thejive Oct 18, 2012 @ 11:49pm 
I have the same infuriating problem! 5$ in limbo. Ugh. Did you manage to figure out how to run Dark Forces on your mac?
Janichsan Oct 19, 2012 @ 1:04am 
Originally posted by thejive:
I have the same infuriating problem! 5$ in limbo. Ugh. Did you manage to figure out how to run Dark Forces on your mac?
Yes. Get DosBox[www.dosbox.com]. The game is ancient and the "Windows version" is also nothing else but the DOS version running in DosBox.

And the age is also the reason why the actual Mac version is not available on Steam: the game simply doesn't run anymore on current Macs.
Last edited by Janichsan; Oct 19, 2012 @ 1:05am
YaBoi$tax Oct 21, 2012 @ 1:41pm 
how am i going to run dosbox on my dark forces if its on my steam account
prime Aug 12, 2015 @ 12:59pm 
Does anyone want to trade Darkforces for any game
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Sep 9, 2012 @ 11:56am