aaron.sakhai Sep 7, 2013 @ 5:26pm
Calling all Bootcamp users!
I'm trying to play Steam games on my iMac using Bootcamp. I created a new Windows 7 partition on my internal SSD, installed the games then attempted to play.

When the game starts, everything is fine, but give it ten or fifteen minutes, and the game will start getting extremely choppy and become unplayable, the iMac gets pretty hot as well. HOWEVER, when I quickly view Windows task manager, I see that plenty of RAM is available, and the CPU processor isn't really under stress. My graphics card is capable too, so why is the game so choppy?

I am using Bootcamp assistant drivers, and the only modifications made to Windows 7 include resizing pagefiles and disabling hibernation.

My iMac's specs are:
3.4GHz Intel Core i7
16GB RAM, 1333MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB
250GB SSD & 2TB HDD
OS 10.7.5
Windows 7 Home Premium

Games I want to play:
Hitman: Absolution
Crysis 2

I have tried:
Reseting SMC (slight improvement, but not significant)
Reseting PRAM (no improvement)
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
< >
ultra magnus Sep 7, 2013 @ 7:03pm 
Maybe the boot drive is too small? What resides on the SSD? Only Windows or both your Mac OSX and Windows partiition? Windows uses the boot drive space for virtual memory(pagefile) so are you running out of space on your SSD boot drive? And i wouldn't mess with the pagefile-- thats tied to virtual memory and performance.
aaron.sakhai Sep 7, 2013 @ 10:54pm 
Originally posted by ultra magnus:
Maybe the boot drive is too small? What resides on the SSD? Only Windows or both your Mac OSX and Windows partiition? Windows uses the boot drive space for virtual memory(pagefile) so are you running out of space on your SSD boot drive? And i wouldn't mess with the pagefile-- thats tied to virtual memory and performance.

Nothing is on the Windows 7 partition-- it's a clean install. I am usually dedicating 40GB for Windows 7, and install the games on a seperate external SSD. I've tried running them on the native drive (same results).
aaron.sakhai Sep 7, 2013 @ 10:55pm 
Originally posted by ultra magnus:

Have you installed these games in Bootcamp with any luck?
Chaz Sep 7, 2013 @ 11:14pm 
This sounds like a classic thermal issue. What type of GPU and CPU temps are you seeing while gaming?
aaron.sakhai Sep 8, 2013 @ 5:01am 
Originally posted by =OTS= Mark Dacascos:
This sounds like a classic thermal issue. What type of GPU and CPU temps are you seeing while gaming?

My iMac will heat up significantly, I haven't used any software to see the actual temperature, but I would guess its relatively high. What changes should I make to my settings to prevent the heat up?
Jim Bond Sep 8, 2013 @ 6:04am 
first try updating your graphics drivers before worrying about the heat:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/auto_detect.aspx

is the line indicating how much space is left on your computer red under My Computer, if so you may want to repartition at like 60 GB, or just don't use the SSD and go really big on the HDD. I'd be concerned taking up some of the SSD would hinder the 'Fusion Drive's' performance on OS X. Also have you tried changing Page Files back to their defaults? and you are running windows 7 x64 right?
aaron.sakhai Sep 8, 2013 @ 7:10am 
Originally posted by Jim Bond:

is the line indicating how much space is left on your computer red under My Computer, if so you may want to repartition at like 60 GB, or just don't use the SSD and go really big on the HDD. I'd be concerned taking up some of the SSD would hinder the 'Fusion Drive's' performance on OS X. Also have you tried changing Page Files back to their defaults? and you are running windows 7 x64 right?

-No, the available space did not show as red in the explorer (however, the pagefile was resized).
-I can try doing it again with more space. I will try 256GB on the HDD (and leave the SSD alone).
-Yes, running Windows 7 x64
ultra magnus Sep 8, 2013 @ 9:13am 
For the heat problem, you need a fan program-- I use Macsfancontrol for my Mac and the bootcamp version for my Windows-- keeps my computer cooler; it is free
http://www.crystalidea.com/products?ref=fancontrol_mac
Jim Bond Sep 8, 2013 @ 10:19am 
Originally posted by aaron.sakhai:

-No, the available space did not show as red in the explorer (however, the pagefile was resized).
-I can try doing it again with more space. I will try 256GB on the HDD (and leave the SSD alone).

OK, but do update those graphics drivers, apple's bootcamp one's are never updated and inadequate for gaming.
Chaz Sep 8, 2013 @ 12:42pm 
So about those temps...

What type of temperatures are you seeing out of the GPU when gaming?
aaron.sakhai Sep 8, 2013 @ 2:52pm 
Originally posted by aaron.sakhai:

OK, but do update those graphics drivers, apple's bootcamp one's are never updated and inadequate for gaming.

Will do on the graphics drivers!

I need to re-create a new bootcamp parition (since deleting the first one). I will try this now.

I will keep the thread updated.
aaron.sakhai Sep 8, 2013 @ 2:56pm 
Originally posted by =OTS= Mark Dacascos:
So about those temps...

What type of temperatures are you seeing out of the GPU when gaming?

Thanks for your reply Mark, I will let you know the GPU temps. Can you tell me where to find it? Or what software I should use to find it?

Ultra Magnus recomended:
http://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

Will that also tell me the GPU temps?
Chaz Sep 8, 2013 @ 3:47pm 
HWmonitor is the preferred software for gamers who need to check their temps. It will log the minimum and maximum temps for all your hardware while you play games.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
Wirbowsky Sep 9, 2013 @ 11:16am 
Seems also a temperature issue to me.
aaron.sakhai Sep 9, 2013 @ 5:03pm 
Originally posted by CEPP Wirbowsky:
Seems also a temperature issue to me.

As it turns out, it's a driver issue. Instead of using Apple's ''Windows Support Drivers'', I hunted down the individual drivers I wanted (and not the ones Apple told me I needed). For example, Windows Support Drivers from apple contain three (THREE!!) graphic display drivers. For that reason, the game gets all screwed up and choppy. When download ATI's driver the games run perfect.

As of this moment, there are only three drivers on Windows 7 (display, sound, ethernet) plus updates.

The iMac gets hot, still---but it's nothing I have not witnessed in Mountain Lion.

Thanks for everyone's input.

TL;DR: Get drivers from the manufactures for best bootcamp gaming experience-- ditch windows support drivers.
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Sep 7, 2013 @ 5:26pm