HobbinHood Jul 20, 2013 @ 3:10pm
Feature request: Support for Steam to run off of a case-sensitive filesystem
Why does it have to be that the Mac Steam client will just throw up a dialog demanding it being installed on a case insensitive partition, whereas the Linux client can be installed and run on a case sensitive partition?
If it works on Linux, what's the problem with case sensitivity on OS X?

Really hoping for this to be possible again, since it was in the beginning of the Mac beta.
Last edited by HobbinHood; Aug 8, 2013 @ 8:45am
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
marc.baas Dec 31, 2013 @ 6:17am 
+1

I agree with this. The fact that there is a case-insensitive filesystem on a mac is only for transitory purposes. At some point that will be abandoned, so also from a contingency perspective it doesn't make much sense to only support a 'temporary' filesystem.

HobbinHood hits the nail on the head: seeing that there is a Linux client these days, that means that case sensitive filesystems are not really an issue.

Many mac users need a case sensitive filesystem for other software.

Also, there are workarounds that used to work, but somehow Steam made this impossible forcing the installation to install everything in ~/Library/Application Support/Steam, which one cannot circumvent anymore. Effectively that means it is impossible to use steam on a case sensitive filesystem.
HobbinHood Dec 31, 2013 @ 6:36am 
Thanks for the support on the matter.

Originally posted by marc.baas:
[...]
Also, there are workarounds that used to work, but somehow Steam made this impossible forcing the installation to install everything in ~/Library/Application Support/Steam, which one cannot circumvent anymore. Effectively that means it is impossible to use steam on a case sensitive filesystem.

Hmm, this still works for me. What exactly happens?
Last edited by HobbinHood; Dec 31, 2013 @ 6:37am
marc.baas Dec 31, 2013 @ 7:00am 
Well, for some reason some of the instructions I had found at http://www.mydigitallife.info/workaround-to-run-steam-on-mac-with-no-case-insensitive-file-system/ were not working for me.

Now I have been in development for over 12 years now, so I managed to fix it myself. But for the average user, this can be quite challenging.

Actually, that is the reason for my response to your post. I think that an average gamer should not have to go through these ordeals, but just install Steam, and his games, and play. It shouldn't be too hard to do, not even from a developer's perspective.
HobbinHood Dec 31, 2013 @ 7:11am 
Originally posted by marc.baas:
[...]Actually, that is the reason for my response to your post. I think that an average gamer should not have to go through these ordeals, but just install Steam, and his games, and play. It shouldn't be too hard to do, not even from a developer's perspective.

Exactly!
ebudan Mar 4 @ 1:22am 
Bump. Us dev-type unix professionals tend to require case sensitive file systems, but wouldn't mind playing the occasional game on Steam either. The workaround is doable, but it's a major turn-off, especially since a steam update can break it again.

Please consider fixing the issue, given that you have solved this for Linux.

For anyone else frustrated with the issue:
In addition to the case insensitive disk image / symlink solutions out there (which more or less do get Steam running, but throw the SteamGuard reverification at you every single time), I had to mkdir .../Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/config. A bit of fs_usage tracing showed that steam wasn't able to access this directory; creating it probably failed during the installation process, thanks to more case issues.

Mozart Mar 4 @ 5:46am 
The official reasoning is that some games sold on steam for mac actually do require case-insensitive filesystem in order to work correctly.
Last edited by Mozart; Mar 5 @ 9:36pm
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 20, 2013 @ 3:10pm