TheFreeWheelin'Q Jun 26, 2013 @ 2:02pm
Windows On Mac
What are the best ways to play windows games on the mac? I keep hearing of Wine and Bootcamp; how is the performance? Is it safe?
Showing 1-15 of 56 comments
< >
Dumnugget Jun 26, 2013 @ 2:24pm 
i've heard of wine before but i've never used it or known anybody that has so i can only speak for bootcamp here but it works fine and is perfectly safe. Bootcamp is software made by apple for that exact purpose it even comes with apple operating systems from lion onwards. essentially what it does is asks you how much of your hard drive you wan to use just for windows (depending on which version of windows you will be installing) you'll probably need to give it a bare minimum of 50GB in my opinion.

It will then ask you to install windows just like you would on a normal PC and from then on you will have the option of starting in windows or mac everytime you restart you computer. The biggest drawback really is that you have to restart to switch you can't have them running simultaneously (if you want to do that check out parallels).

In terms of performance the windows PC will use all of the hardware your mac would, you wil need to install the drivers for the back products on the windows PC but it will give you the option to put these on a USB drive before you install windows. That will be for things like the keyboard isight camera etc.

if you have enough room on your hardrive to do it and you are happy to pay for a legit copy of windows it's perfectly safe, however if you know what you're doing when it comes to a certain... shall we say 'free trial' of windows.... then that would be fine too....
Cave Johnson Jun 26, 2013 @ 2:29pm 
There are a few options available to you, but I'd highly recommend Boot Camp.

It's an official Apple product and well explained with some simple Googling.
Basically all is does it allows you to dual boot (give you the option between Windows or Mac when you start up) to windows and run it just like a PC.

Low risk and high yield. It's something I personally use on all of my Macs.

Even better, once you've got your Bootcamp installation done, you can use a mac application (such as VMWare Fusion or Parallels) to use your Boot Camp installation inside of mac, just like a regular app.

I recommend that method for applications, not for games though.
BusTiT Jun 27, 2013 @ 7:35am 
I agree with the post above me. A game I play works fine using Boot Camp but will not run in Parallels. While another game I play will run in Boot Camp and Parallels. Fusion or Parallels for applications for they are a hit or miss regarding games.
xFherDevilx Jun 27, 2013 @ 11:00am 
alguien sabe si hay Dota 2 para MAC urgente ...!!!
Social Construct Jul 1, 2013 @ 10:42am 
Keep in mind, that you need a Windows-copy to install it on Bootcamp.

I had few issues over the last 5 years, just sometimes a graphics-card-driver is not available for Bootcamp-Windows. Apart from such "deep" components, everything else just works like on a pc.
TheFreeWheelin'Q Sep 27, 2013 @ 11:28pm 
Thanks guys,very helpful
TheFreeWheelin'Q Sep 27, 2013 @ 11:28pm 

Kargor Sep 28, 2013 @ 1:55am 
Bootcamp is basically a bootloader that can be used to install an actual Windows on the machine. It has the advantage that it is "the real thing", and has the disadvantage that you probably bought a Mac because you wanted MacOS for some reason, and that won't be running when booting into Windows.

Wine is a windows emulator. It's not a real windows, and a given game might work perfectly, it might have some problems, or it might not work at all, depending on what exactly they use from Windows and how well the emulation for these features work.
It's an active project, though, so compatability with existing software (not just games) keeps improving. There is a database somewhere that tries to collect information about how well a given software package runs on wine.

The advantage of Wine is that you are not rebooting into another operating system; you can continue to use your Mac software as usual. The disadvantage is as described: it's not the real thing, so there are tons of compatability issues that may or may not affect a given game.

A third option could be a virtual machine. I've never used virtual machines to actually PLAY games -- I've only used them to run additional clients for F2P games for muling or opening shops. At the time, Direct3D support in VMWare was surprisingly good, but might not have been suitable for actual gaming. I don't know how Mac VMs or even current Windows-VMWare do in this area nowadays, though.
It would sort of combine the advantages and avoid the disadvantages of the other two: you're not rebooting your machine so you can continue using your Mac software while playing, but you are using a real Windows nonetheless so there are no compatability issues. Or almost none -- while you're using a real windows, that real windows runs on emulated hardware, and 3D in particular isn't exactly business critical for the VM companies so they probably took some shortcuts and simplifications. For example, on one of the aforementioned F2P games, I had the rather funny effect that character models didn't show at all -- but weapons and particle effects on mounts actually did. So you had swords and bows floating through the air, and occasionally a sword would run faster than usual and leave a dust cloud behind :-)

EDIT: I don't think Mac users care about money, but "bootcamp" and virtual machines require a windows license, while Wine does not. Again, it's the price you have to pay for getting the real thing vs. an emulation.
Last edited by Kargor; Sep 28, 2013 @ 1:58am
INQUISITOR Sep 28, 2013 @ 2:06am 
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
ted.deitrick Sep 28, 2013 @ 3:10am 
I also feel boot camp is the best way to do windows games on a mac. My macbook pro runs windows better than my purpose built windows PC, granted its a few years newer :-)
gagarellino Sep 28, 2013 @ 4:02am 
ddd
Кевин Sep 28, 2013 @ 4:11am 
nice
Downside Sep 28, 2013 @ 10:49am 
Boot camp really is the only "safe" options as far as Apple is concerned. If something happens to the game or your computer the will support it.
[THB]Loupgarounathan Sep 28, 2013 @ 11:22am 
[FR]Je trouve que peut de jeu marche sur mac que se soit a cause des carte grafic ou autre je pence qu'il faudrais essayer de le modifier pour toute carte mémoir ou graphique ce pendant je felicite steam de mettre c'est jeu en tout cas sertain sur mac malgrer la petite cantiter
ps:encourage le dévelopement de steam sur consolle félisitation
RobbitHobbit Sep 28, 2013 @ 11:28am 
There is a program call Parallels that runs a virtual windows machine inside your mac os. That might be worth a try.
Showing 1-15 of 56 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jun 26, 2013 @ 2:02pm