somnolentsurfer Jun 18, 2013 @ 5:10am
Steam client freeze since recent update
I can't say for sure when it started, but it seems to be since the last update. I'm finding the Steam client will regularly just sieze up. The store browser continues to work, but things like notifications of new forum posts don't appear. It'll often (but not always) have 'no connection' at the bottom of the client window, even though the Internet connection is funtioning normally. Restarting Steam fixes it all, but only if I force quit - trying to quit Steam normally causes it to go into perminant beach ball and just lock up.

Edit: Forgot to say, my best guess on any regular causal event for this is MacBook going to sleep. It seems to work fine up until the point I close the lid, or the computer goes to sleep on it's own. Once I come back to the machine, it seems not to work any more, and freezes when I try to quit.

Anyone else seeing this? Anyone got a solution?
Last edited by somnolentsurfer; Jun 18, 2013 @ 5:36am
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
somnolentsurfer Jun 19, 2013 @ 8:10am 
So, after a bit more testing, this seems to be universally replicable on my machine (Mid 2012 13" MacBook Pro, 2.5GHz i5, 4GB, HD4000, OS X 10.8.4).

Trying to quit Steam after waking the MabBook from sleep will cause a perminant beach ball freeze. It doesn't seem to matter how long ago it woke from sleep - if the MacBook has been in standby since Steam was started, it'll freeze on exit. If it hasn't, Steam will quit just fine.
Bakłażan Jun 19, 2013 @ 8:51am 
:D
Hoho Jun 23, 2013 @ 5:35am 
Yep, experiencing the exact same bug. MacBook Air Mid 2012 13".
Indyhill Jul 1, 2013 @ 6:55pm 
Add me to the list of "me-toos". Seems like Steam has always been less stable than on Windows, but it has definately gotten worse. Guess I need to remember to close it when I don't need it.... before the Macbook sleeps that is apparently.
sLIDe Jul 1, 2013 @ 10:26pm 
Haven't really noticed any problems on my iMac (2011)
somnolentsurfer Jul 2, 2013 @ 3:00am 
Guessing you probably don't close the lid of your iMac very often...
MEME.Feeder Aug 4 @ 6:25pm 
Same problem. Macbook Pro Retina 2013. Whenever I put my computer to sleep with Steam open I am unable to open any games, requires a Steam restart.
Seannycow Aug 5 @ 1:53am 
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jun 18, 2013 @ 5:10am