snowman Feb 14, 2013 @ 2:56pm
Failed to load steamui.dylib
I tried to launch Steam yesterday and was greeted with the alert "Failed to load steamui.dylib". I search the forums looking for a possible workaround without much success.

- Tried to remove Steam.app from the /Application folder)

- Also tried:

cd "/Applications/Steam.app" && ./Contents/MacOS/steam.sh

(downloads an update and appears to install it, but then attempts to launch Steam again with the same end result)

found breakpad via in process memory: '/Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/Frameworks/Breakpad.framework/Versions/A/Resources'
Installing breakpad crash handler
Looks like steam didn't shutdown cleanly, scheduling immediate update check
SteamID: 0, universe Public

Specs of my machine:

OS X 10.8.2 (12C60) on 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5 (4GB 1333 MHz DDR3) (ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB)

Can you help me, please?
Showing 1-15 of 49 comments
< >
RAWKFIST_N1 Feb 19, 2013 @ 10:20pm 
Same thing happened to me 2 days ago. I sent in a ticket, still haven't heard anything back. I also removed the app along with all it's associated files and reinstalled, but no luck.
henryg Feb 20, 2013 @ 2:14pm 
You guys haven't happened to touch anything in your Mac's system Frameworks folders, have you? We don't yet know how to diagnose this problem, since most customers don't have it, but we think it may have to do with removal of shared Framework files that Steam relies upon (removed either by you or by some third-party app uninstaller). Our developers are still looking into it.
RAWKFIST_N1 Feb 20, 2013 @ 5:42pm 
That's probably what I did... I was following some directions to get rid of some files for a third-party gamepad driver because Aspyr said that could get in the way of using a controller for one of their games. I tried to restore just these folders (using a back up through Time Machine) but that didn't fix the problem. Would a re-installation of my OS fix that?
RAWKFIST_N1 Feb 28, 2013 @ 12:22am 
So yeah, a re-installation fixed the problem right up. Just fyi.
snowman Feb 28, 2013 @ 9:28am 
I also did remove the 3rd party xbox360 controller drivers to play some Aspyr game...

So you're telling me I have to reinstall the entire OS X in order to Steam to bootup again? :-(
RAWKFIST_N1 Feb 28, 2013 @ 10:53am 
That's the only way I could get it to work. It only took like 4 hours for my computer to do the whole process though, so you could just do it over night. Just restart your computer and hold cmd-r on start up for it to get to your boot-up menu thing and just click to re-install the OS.
henryg Feb 28, 2013 @ 11:41pm 
Thanks for confirming that it worked for you, even though it wasn't a convenient solution :( We'll try to identify an easier way for customers to recover the required files.
KittenCanaveral Mar 1, 2013 @ 1:43am 
Originally posted by RAWKFIST_N1:
That's probably what I did... I was following some directions to get rid of some files for a third-party gamepad driver because Aspyr said that could get in the way of using a controller for one of their games. I tried to restore just these folders (using a back up through Time Machine) but that didn't fix the problem. Would a re-installation of my OS fix that?
only if you cant find the missing file that steam needs , and then get it from someone else.
keegancherry Mar 3, 2013 @ 12:26pm 
I also did remove the Xbox controller plugin so I could play BLOPS. @henryg will you be posting the easier solution here? If so I will keep checkin in on this discussion for the right answer so I don't have to re-install. Thank you!!! ;)
keegancherry Mar 24, 2013 @ 10:40am 
Just so everyone knows I had someone on the Steam Community email me the: ForceFeedback.framework file I needed and Steam finally started!
Gab May 19, 2013 @ 9:02pm 
After months of back and forth support tickets and no solution found (got a "We are investigating this issue further. As soon as we have more information, we will update your ticket." reply), I messaged keegancherry and had the ForceFeedback.framework emails.

Tried it and now my Steam finally works on Mac.
onizukaxero May 31, 2013 @ 1:29pm 
I'm having the same problem where it says failed to load steam.dylib. Can you please send me the forcefeedback.framework files i need? thanks :)
Originally posted by keegancherry:
Just so everyone knows I had someone on the Steam Community email me the: ForceFeedback.framework file I needed and Steam finally started!
scumbag mcgee May 31, 2013 @ 7:05pm 
Can someone please send it to me as well? I am so screwed without it D:
keegancherry Jun 2, 2013 @ 10:54pm 
@oreo4005 @onizukaxero of course!! What are your emails??? :)
snowfox24 Jun 8, 2013 @ 5:45pm 
Originally posted by keegancherry:
Could someone send me this also please?
Showing 1-15 of 49 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50