MajesticBagel Dec 20, 2012 @ 1:12pm
All Games Should Have a Mac Version.
Mac users are excluded by steam for fair reason, due to the fact the Mac operating system cannot run .exe files, which most games are run off of. But that does not mean we should have less games. All games that are posted on steam should have a Mac version. It doesnt even have to be right away. Like just give a pre-purchase Mac version or something. There should be a requirement that all game devs must also create a Mac version if they wish to have their game on steam. Please reply with all your thoughts and help get more Mac games on steam.
Showing 1-15 of 152 comments
< >
CUBSSANTOHOF Dec 20, 2012 @ 3:17pm 
yes i agree
alechegs Dec 20, 2012 @ 6:30pm 
Agreed
Jack Nash Dec 20, 2012 @ 6:33pm 
I'm a mac user and I don't agree. However, I do think that if a dev plans on releasing a game on Mac, they should have a better chance of getting it on Steam, as an optional requirement or something.
Last edited by Jack Nash; Dec 20, 2012 @ 6:34pm
{TLM} DojoDog Dec 20, 2012 @ 8:37pm 
Originally posted by Jack Nash:
I'm a mac user and I don't agree. However, I do think that if a dev plans on releasing a game on Mac, they should have a better chance of getting it on Steam, as an optional requirement or something.

I'm a Mac user and agree with the OP. Mac users have just as much right to play the same games as PC users. Yeah, there is Bootcamp, but I'd rather have bonefide Mac versions.
Project_Worm Dec 20, 2012 @ 9:44pm 
Yep..
Janichsan Dec 21, 2012 @ 12:50am 
Stupid idea, because forcing the developers won't lead to anything. The big companies will probably laugh their ♥♥♥ off and create their own download stores (like EA did), and smaller companies simply don't have the resources to create another version of their games and support it.
Phrohdoh Dec 22, 2012 @ 7:36pm 
I agree and disagree. Some games would be great to have. But it is truly the developers choice. That choice highly relies on preference of platform and programming language. This is why with everything I program I try to do it in a way that is easily ported and can be built on any system. Open source rules!
RyuKaze Dec 23, 2012 @ 12:56am 
Nope. Can't force a developer to make a game for a particular os if they don't want to, especially if they probably don't know the language. If you really want to play the game that bad, get a PC. If some games I wanted to play were made for Mac, I'd have to go get a Mac now wouldn't I?
SeraphSword Dec 23, 2012 @ 1:35am 
If you want to get a particular game ported to the Mac, your best bet is to contact the publisher of the game. I agree with RyuKaze, in that there is no way to force a publisher to put a game on a particular OS or system. You can't force Microsoft to put Halo on PS3, or force Nintendo to put Zelda on the Vita.

What you can do is try to show that there is a viable market for a specific game. PC players did this with Dark Souls. It was only ever going to be a console game, but PC players wanted it so bad that they started petitions and were very active in talking to the publishers and developers, to the point where the pubs felt there was a legitimate chance to make back the money they would spend porting it to PC. This is the key point. A publisher will only spend the money putting their game on another platform if they think they can profit. And Mac gaming is a small market, so it's a tough sell.

Bear in mind that Valve has no control over this, except with their own games. For everyone else they are just a storefront, and it would be a poor business decision to try to bully their partners into conforming with their own philosophy.

In my opinion, you will only see more Mac games when there is a larger market for them, and right now the average Mac user doesn't play games, except casual games.

So my advice is: support the publishers who do make Mac games, and try to make your voice heard on getting more brought to the platform, while maintaining an awareness of the business aspect of these decisions. If there is money to made, publishers will make it happen.
Nikola's Trampoline Dec 23, 2012 @ 7:58am 
I am a mac user, though I disagree. This is the same as asking for free games, it's up to the developer, not Steam. Also, I know a bit about programming and it is MUCH harder to make a game on mac.
LN3000 Dec 23, 2012 @ 7:31pm 
I would want all games to have a Mac version, since there's plenty of games to prove that developers are more than capable of making it happen decently. Indie games and big developers such as Blizzard have been able to support simultaneous Mac / Windows releases, why can't more companies?

And without crappy wine-skin ports, such as from Aspyr. Please don't do that.

OSX users should be treated the same as Windows users. Plain and simple.
Sin Dec 23, 2012 @ 8:52pm 
Have you guys ever heard of Wine? It's a really good application which allows you to run such programs on Unix-like Operating Systems; e.g. Mac OSX.
beerijuana Dec 23, 2012 @ 10:57pm 
Bootcamp, ...problem solved.

It isn't up to Steam (with the exception of Valve), it's the developers you need to aim your sense of entitlement towards.
Cinnamann Dec 24, 2012 @ 3:45am 
It isn't up to Steam/Valve, I know there are plenty of Mac versions of games that aren't available on Steam though, but I've seen more of them appearing lately. I suggest looking at http://portingteam.com/files/ and http://www.paulthetall.com/ so you can see what unofficial ports are available for your computer. Then you install a Windows copy of Steam into the port and download the game. You get to play the game, and Steam gets more money because of those Mac users who create free ports. However Steam might be allowed to use unofficial wineskin ports since it's freeware, as long as they charge money for it and have permission from the creators. I don't think Steam would garuntee the game would work though, unless they only get ports that have been proven to work.
Martinus Dec 24, 2012 @ 12:03pm 
There are a few options available, as in other online game stores. searching for "mac games store" in your search engine of choice should yield several options. It's not as practical as having them on steam though.
Showing 1-15 of 152 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50