shadow82x Nov 27, 2012 @ 10:24pm
Physx on Borderlands 2/Mac OSX
Doesn't physx have support for Mac OSX? On my new macbook retina (15 inch) im unable to change the physx settings despite having a nvidia graphics card that supports physx.
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
< >
Janichsan Nov 28, 2012 @ 12:50am 
PhysX hardware acceleration is only available on Windows[physxinfo.com].
dcy665 Nov 28, 2012 @ 8:13pm 
Originally posted by Janichsan:
PhysX hardware acceleration is only available on Windows[physxinfo.com].
From the link you referenced: "Supported plaforms: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Android and iOS."
Janichsan Nov 29, 2012 @ 12:00am 
Originally posted by dcy665:
From the link you referenced: "Supported plaforms: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Android and iOS."
Did you bother to read just a little further? I'll make it easy for you:
Hardware acceleration (available only on Windows PC platform)
And in case you didn't get that yet: the PhysX option in the game is for hardware acceleration.
A Retired Ninja Nov 29, 2012 @ 9:27pm 
Technically, any hardware could in theory render the "Physx" graphics that are in Borderlands 2, it just doesn't support Nvidia's own hardware accelaration of said effects. For instance, you can actually enable "Physx" graphics on non-Nvidia cards, it just doesn't perform optimally. The fact that the option is grayed out is really just marketing to get you to buy Nvidia cards. So while acceleration isn't supported on Mac, that doesn't mean a Mac can't render said graphics (unless they omitted the code for said graphics from the Mac version of the game, which may be the case).

That said, I've played with the .ini files so as to enable "Physx: High" on my Mac Pro with GTX 670, but my game crashes with the setting on. That's just me though; it may work for others, I don't know.

You can try it yourself if you like, though this method will reset your graphics settings like resolution back to default, but it won't effect your save games or anything and you can just set your resolution and whatnot back when you launch your game.

In Steam, go to Library, right/ctrl click on Borderlands, select properties.
Select the "Local Files" tab, and then Browse Local Files.
Right click, and choose Show Package Contents.
Go to Contents/GameData/WillowGame/Config
Copy "DefaultEngine.ini" to your desktop as a backup, then open the original with TextEdit
CMD+F and type "physx"
Change "PhysXLevel=0" to equal either 1 (Medium) or 2 (High), then save the file
Start Borderlands 2 and see what happens;
if you have problems, just drag your backup of "DefaultEngine.ini" back to the Config folder

And if anyone happens to have success in rendering Physx graphics on a Mac, I'd love to hear about it.
dcy665 Nov 29, 2012 @ 9:44pm 
Did you bother to read just a little further? I'll make it easy for you:
Hardware acceleration (available only on Windows PC platform)
And in case you didn't get that yet: the PhysX option in the game is for hardware acceleration.
Sorry, I didn't register as it wouldn't work. Seemed too stupid not to support PhysX hardware when not only do they sell PhysX but the hardware. PhysX has always been a PIA.
Janichsan Nov 30, 2012 @ 12:40am 
Originally posted by A Retired Ninja:
Technically, any hardware could in theory render the "Physx" graphics that are in Borderlands 2, it just doesn't support Nvidia's own hardware accelaration of said effects. *snip*
Interesting idea. I might try that tonight or tomorrow.

Sorry, I didn't register as it wouldn't work. Seemed too stupid not to support PhysX hardware when not only do they sell PhysX but the hardware. PhysX has always been a PIA.
Only Nvidia knows why they don't support PhysX hardware acceleration on Macs. Technically, there aren't real valid reasons why they couldn't support it.
Janichsan Nov 30, 2012 @ 12:48pm 
FYI: I tried PhysXLevel=1 and that resulted in a crash. So, doesn't seem to work (on an Nvidia GPU, by the way).
A Retired Ninja Nov 30, 2012 @ 5:39pm 
FYI: I tried PhysXLevel=1 and that resulted in a crash. So, doesn't seem to work (on an Nvidia GPU, by the way).

That's unfortunate.
M0rgan Freeman Mar 10, 2013 @ 4:48pm 
Yeah I just tried to change it to 1 on a Nvidia Geforce GT650M and it would open the menu, start the game but as soon as i shot a barrel it crashed. Too bad.
AndRec Sep 4, 2013 @ 1:28pm 
so why we on mac have that option in the menu?
AspyrRyan Sep 9, 2013 @ 7:19am 
Because removing it would cause Mac and PC to be unable to play together.
Peruzzo Sep 9, 2013 @ 9:05am 
ziplock9000 Nov 28, 2013 @ 6:16am 
Originally posted by AspyrRyan:

It's got absolutely nothing to do with that. It's there because they simply did not take the time to change the UI for the Mac version.
Janichsan Nov 29, 2013 @ 12:29am 
Originally posted by ziplock9000:
Originally posted by AspyrRyan:

It's got absolutely nothing to do with that. It's there because they simply did not take the time to change the UI for the Mac version.
You are aware you just tried to contradict the single person in this thread who knows for sure due to first-hand involvement in the port?
ziplock9000 Nov 29, 2013 @ 6:40am 
Originally posted by ziplock9000:

You are aware you just tried to contradict the single person in this thread who knows for sure due to first-hand involvement in the port?

I've been a developer for over 18 years and I know 100% that PhysX is a client side effect only and has nothing to do with multiplayer interoperability. If they for some obscure reason have used it otherwise, then it's a misuse of the technology. That is like saying a PC player who has their graphics settings at high can't play with a Mac player who has them at low. It's purely client side.

Are you aware that game publishers and developers often lie and exaggerate to make their market position and products look better?

Until I’m given a very specific example, that is my opinion.
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Nov 27, 2012 @ 10:24pm