Timkinut May 21, 2013 @ 6:05pm
Solution for not launching Steam
If you have that common problem when after clicking on Steam icon it just appears in the Dock and then disappears, you have to go to \Username\Library\Application Support\Steam\ and delete a file called registry.vdf.

The bad side of this way is that you will need to repeat these steps every time after quitting steam or rebooting your Mac.
Last edited by Timkinut; May 25, 2013 @ 1:31am
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
pOmEgRaNaTe May 21, 2013 @ 6:23pm 
didn't work for me
meriwald [ua] May 23, 2013 @ 2:18pm 
worked! after reading a tone of forum pages its first solution that worked, thank you!
Mfashnick May 23, 2013 @ 5:18pm 
For a lot of people, this does nothing.
Timkinut May 23, 2013 @ 10:06pm 
Originally posted by meriwald ua:
worked! after reading a tone of forum pages its first solution that worked, thank you!
No problem
DJ ALOPECIA May 25, 2013 @ 12:00am 
Originally posted by Tim Imkin:
If you have that common problem when after clicking on Steam icon it's just appears in the Dock and then disappears, you have to go to \Username\Library\Application Support\Steam\ and delete a file called registry.vdf.

The bad side of this way is that you will need to repeat these steps after quitting steam or rebooting your Mac.
DJ ALOPECIA May 25, 2013 @ 12:01am 
Tu eres el ♥♥♥♥ jefe, MUCHAS GRACIAS AMIGO!!
Sada May 25, 2013 @ 1:26am 
Thanks
empty1 May 25, 2013 @ 2:02am 
Thanks
Number 141 May 30, 2013 @ 7:29am 
I was having this same problem, but deleting the registry file, or indeed deleting everything in the folder other than SteamApps and userdata, did nothing for me. So for the heck of it, I was going to overwrite my Steam app with a freshly downloaded one, but it wouldn't let me because it said that something called "IPC Server" (which is apparently some kind of background process used by Steam) was in use. So I went into the Activity Monitor, killed IPC Server, overwrote the Steam app, deleted the files in the Steam folder again (for good measure) and restarted. It updated, sent to the login screen and (finally!) started up. It seems to be working now.
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: May 21, 2013 @ 6:05pm