iashotu2 May 18, 2013 @ 4:42am
Steam crushes on launch. Mac 10.8.3
Steam only bounses once when I try to open it and then dissapears.

This happend to me before but back then it was enough to deleate regestry.vdf in /application support/steam.

Now I have a new mac and there is now /application support/steam, so I have no I idea what to do.

here is what system.log say's when I try to open steam

May 18 13:32:20 MacBook-Pro-MacBook com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[143] (com.valvesoftware.steamclean): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
May 18 13:32:36 MacBook-Pro-MacBook com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[143] (com.valvesoftware.steamclean): Throttling respawn: Will start in 5 seconds
Last edited by iashotu2; May 18, 2013 @ 5:29am
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
< >
ROSTIK May 18, 2013 @ 4:43am 
me too((((
Mfashnick May 18, 2013 @ 5:25am 
I made my Library folder appear using a command in the Terminal, but deleting files there didn't help me at all. It sounds like many folks are getting gyped by Steam right now.
iashotu2 May 18, 2013 @ 5:32am 
Originally posted by Mfashnick:
I made my Library folder appear using a command in the Terminal, but deleting files there didn't help me at all. It sounds like many folks are getting gyped by Steam right now.

do you now if they are doing any thing about that?

also what command did you use, I'll give it a try?
Mfashnick May 18, 2013 @ 5:55am 
A simple web search will find it, but the following article shows several methods:
http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/productivity/how-to-reveal-your-library-folder-in-lion-or-mountain-lion/

Messing with this/deleting files didn't help me, but I hope it helps you.
iashotu2 May 18, 2013 @ 7:49am 
Originally posted by Mfashnick:
A simple web search will find it, but the following article shows several methods:
http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/productivity/how-to-reveal-your-library-folder-in-lion-or-mountain-lion/

Messing with this/deleting files didn't help me, but I hope it helps you.

Thanks man:)
--CGA-- ErniePC12 May 19, 2013 @ 6:17pm 
Try this in Terminal:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

cd /Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/

./steam.sh

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If the app hangs looking for an update, or if it crashes, check your Terminal screen, and report back what you have. This is the error that I'm having...

Assertion Failed: Unable to set default socket options, error 55
Tobes May 20, 2013 @ 8:06am 
Also having this problem.
Gazavr May 20, 2013 @ 11:13am 
me too
queer squirrel May 20, 2013 @ 12:39pm 
for me it helped typing to the terminal "purge". since then i can play better
xkl 2s May 20, 2013 @ 12:47pm 
I have this problem too
Mfashnick May 20, 2013 @ 3:05pm 
My typing the terminal command above gave me the same "error 55"
I can't find any explanation of error codes for 10.8.3. *sigh*
--CGA-- ErniePC12 May 20, 2013 @ 4:29pm 
Originally posted by Mfashnick:
My typing the terminal command above gave me the same "error 55"
I can't find any explanation of error codes for 10.8.3. *sigh*


I don't believe that the error is related to Mac OS X.

I believe that the error is from the Steam Client.
Mfashnick May 20, 2013 @ 5:09pm 
The entire Steam client from May 6th is an error.
iashotu2 May 21, 2013 @ 1:19pm 
Originally posted by ErniePC12:
Try this in Terminal:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

cd /Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/

./steam.sh

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If the app hangs looking for an update, or if it crashes, check your Terminal screen, and report back what you have. This is the error that I'm having...

Assertion Failed: Unable to set default socket options, error 55

Here is what I'm geting from the terminal. I understand none of this so maybe you can tell whats going on?


MacBook-Pro-MacBook:~ MyMac$ cd /Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/
MacBook-Pro-MacBook:MacOS MyMac$
MacBook-Pro-MacBook:MacOS MyMac$ ./steam.sh
[2013-05-21 21:17:27] Startup - updater built May 3 2013 15:11:18
found breakpad via in process memory: '/Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/Frameworks/Breakpad.framework/Versions/A/Resources'
Installing breakpad crash handler
Looks like steam didn't shutdown cleanly, scheduling immediate update check
SteamID: 0, universe Public
[2013-05-21 21:17:27] Checking for update on startup
[2013-05-21 21:17:27] Проверка на наличие обновлений...
SteamID: 0, universe Public
./steam.sh: line 704: 3742 Killed: 9 $STEAM_DEBUGGER "$STEAMROOT/$PLATFORM/$STEAMEXE" "$@"
neogeo May 21, 2013 @ 4:03pm 
Originally posted by iashotu2:
[2013-05-21 21:17:27] Checking for update on startup
[2013-05-21 21:17:27] Проверка на наличие обновлений...

What language is this?

Btw, I've had similar problems (see my other post) and found out coincidentally that after waiting like 15 - 20 min the steam client would finally run ...!!!!
Last edited by neogeo; May 21, 2013 @ 4:05pm
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: May 18, 2013 @ 4:42am
Posts: 16