Mfashnick May 9, 2013 @ 3:13pm
Does Steam/Valve care about Mac at all?
Folks using macs seem to be second-class to Steam. I have been stuck out of my paid-for games for two days with the same "Checking for Available Updates..." warning that others have seen. Looking online, Mac users have been getting this error on and off for YEARS. I have a trouble ticket in that's two days old, but I've seen posts about people never getting a response at all.
Why should I spend my money on games I can't play? With that kind of history, even if they fix this problem in the next month, can I ever depend on Steam? My entertainment dollars can go to many other places.
Showing 1-15 of 79 comments
< >
--CGA-- ErniePC12 May 9, 2013 @ 6:50pm 
I placed a ticket in as well.
KAZUMA's Christmas Vacation May 9, 2013 @ 7:30pm 
You know what they say about Valve Time...
The Eel of Death May 9, 2013 @ 8:21pm 
not really. their niche market is pcs. mac users are a minority so we arent a priority.
--CGA-- ErniePC12 May 11, 2013 @ 9:35am 
Well, this won't help them maintain the Mac market.

Considering that sales of PC's are declining, but not with the Mac platform, might not bode well for Valve. And since they don't seem too interested in Windows 8, I can't see them ignoring the Mac platform.

Perhaps contacting a gaming news site might help...
Mfashnick May 11, 2013 @ 9:37am 
That's not a bad idea. I just upgraded to 10.8.3 from 10.6.8 and reinstalled the client. It did the exact same thing, but now I can't play old games that used to run on a PowerPC. ugh!
--CGA-- ErniePC12 May 11, 2013 @ 9:39am 
Well, that's an Apple issue, not Valve.

Apple removed the Rosetta software that allowed you to run those old PPC apps..
Mfashnick May 11, 2013 @ 11:13am 
Yeah, I know, it's just that the Steam issue made me consider other possibilities, and so I updated my operating system.
luckz May 12, 2013 @ 2:47am 
Originally posted by ErniePC12:
Well, this won't help them maintain the Mac market.

Considering that sales of PC's are declining, but not with the Mac platform, might not bode well for Valve. And since they don't seem too interested in Windows 8, I can't see them ignoring the Mac platform.

Perhaps contacting a gaming news site might help...

Yes, OSX will become the dominant gaming OS in the market. Soon™.
--CGA-- ErniePC12 May 12, 2013 @ 7:19pm 
I don't know about the dominate in gaming. Mac OS X has a long way to go, and Windows has a long way to fall. Linux still has a hard time selling itself to the general public.

But if this is how you choose to deal with one OS, what's to say this isn't going to happen to the others...

Still no fix yet for me... Tomorrow will be day 7...
Mfashnick May 13, 2013 @ 7:18pm 
It's been a week now. I've even gone so far as to contact Almost Human Games, one of the gaming companies that designed one of the games I play. They can't interfere with a distributor's business by giving me a Steam-disengaged copy.

Does Steam even know that a big segment of their customers can't play at all? Or are they so understaffed that they don't even recognize big problems?
Jim Bond May 14, 2013 @ 6:33am 
yes, they just released lost coast for mac, yay!
Last edited by Jim Bond; May 14, 2013 @ 6:34am
The Eel of Death May 14, 2013 @ 8:30am 
when? because its not showing as a mac option in my store....?
--CGA-- ErniePC12 May 14, 2013 @ 8:42am 
I too have been waiting a week for this to be resolved.

I'm a little disappointed that this issue hasn't been addressed...
amurgaming May 14, 2013 @ 12:35pm 
Originally posted by Capn Crunch:
when? because its not showing as a mac option in my store....?

Beta has just started. May take a couple more weeks before it gets flagged for Mac in the store.

Imho Valve does a better job supporting Mac users than most game publishers out there, in fact they stand out. I mean, who else gives a damn about 15 year old games and Valve comes up with Mac / Linux ports of HL1 etc. It doesn't get much better than that.

Yes, HL2 and CS:GO do not close the way they should and crash on a regular basis, but we're complaining at a very high level here.

And one can be sure that Mac ports of Dota 2 and Portal 2 will be available for all platforms within a couple of months, which is nice.
The Eel of Death May 14, 2013 @ 4:27pm 
youre right of course, but it is small comfort to a gamer who wants to game NOW on their mac...im seriously considering buying another computer but a PC just for gaming. which kinda sucks....but i like gaming.
Showing 1-15 of 79 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: May 9, 2013 @ 3:13pm