MaskedFace Oct 20, 2013 @ 1:41pm
TF2 Crashes on OS X 10.9
Hi, my game often crashes on os x 10.9, is there any reason for it?

Here is the latest crash report:

http://pastebin.com/XaP9U7Bd
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
ba5il Oct 20, 2013 @ 5:42pm 
Try allocating your RAM. My best guess is that your game is crashing because it does not have enough RAM devoted to running your game. In the error report it said "terminating with uncaught exception of type std::bad_alloc:" which is C++ code for "failure to allocate requested storage space".
Yosimite Oct 20, 2013 @ 7:30pm 
Maybe TF2 isn't optimized for OS X Mavericks yet
MaskedFace Oct 21, 2013 @ 10:57am 
How do I allocate more ram?
Jim Bond Oct 21, 2013 @ 12:55pm 
Originally posted by GameOverlayUI:
my god, you have 32 GB Ram, I find it extremely hard to believe it's a ram issue
Last edited by Jim Bond; Oct 21, 2013 @ 12:56pm
MaskedFace Oct 23, 2013 @ 8:32am 
Originally posted by Jim Bond:
Originally posted by GameOverlayUI:
my god, you have 32 GB Ram, I find it extremely hard to believe it's a ram issue

:D Me too.
Kargor Oct 23, 2013 @ 10:05am 
Well yes, there can be a number of reasons why "bad_alloc" is thrown that have nothing to do with actual RAM use.

Really anything can throw "bad_alloc" for anything, even just for fun. One would hope it's not quite as random, so maybe it's throw because something else failed and they assumed it's a resource problem -- while in reality it might be bugged parameters sent to the operating system which then doesn't give you the resource you wanted. More memory would have no effect.

Or maybe the game is in an endless loop where it keeps allocating memory... until nothing is left. More memory would simply delay the crash.

Or the game "overflows" a memory block that it has allocated, due to newbish programming. This could correupt the memory management, so the next alloc THINKS it's out of memory. Again, more memory wouldn't help at all.

Chances are, if you run out of memory on a 32GB system you're not REALLY out of memory, and it's a completely different bug.

Or it could be a bad calculation. Like the game trying to read a picture from disk, but due to some bug it thinks the picture has a couple billion tmes a couple billion pixels -- and it just tries to allocate enough memory to read that.
Last edited by Kargor; Oct 23, 2013 @ 10:11am
TheNoobAdventure Oct 23, 2013 @ 10:07am 
Its weird,i play TF2 on 10.6.8 and never crashes.
Jim Bond Oct 23, 2013 @ 4:05pm 
try restarting your computer, reinstalling tf2, and upgrading to retail mavericks release
scruff Oct 23, 2013 @ 4:28pm 
The amount of physical memory (32GB) has nothing to do with the crash log. The crash log is most likely from running out of VM address space. TF2 is 32-bit and consequently can only address memory up to ~4GB. If you look at the crash log towards the bottom, it states that you're using around 3.7GB of VM address space, very close to the 4GB limit. The crash is likely due to trying to allocate a chunk of address space, but there's not a large enough contiguous chunk. You may be wondering why there's not enough free address space when you haven't used all 4GB. That usually occurs due to fragmentation from allocating and deallocating different sized chunks. There might be a 100 chunks of size 1k, but not a single contiguous 100k chunk.

As for diagnosing the problem, special maps, add-ons, or graphics settings can have a large affect on the amount of address space needed. For example, try turning down your graphics settings and see if it reproduces as often. Try playing on standard maps / servers to see if it reproduces.

Edit: I also notice that you've got a custom Input Manager installed: Ecamm Plugin Loader. You might try disabling it.
Last edited by scruff; Oct 23, 2013 @ 4:31pm
MaskedFace Oct 25, 2013 @ 11:36am 
Thanks scruff, will try it.
CoreDude98 Jan 14 @ 4:07pm 
Originally posted by scruff:
The amount of physical memory (32GB) has nothing to do with the crash log. The crash log is most likely from running out of VM address space. TF2 is 32-bit and consequently can only address memory up to ~4GB. If you look at the crash log towards the bottom, it states that you're using around 3.7GB of VM address space, very close to the 4GB limit. The crash is likely due to trying to allocate a chunk of address space, but there's not a large enough contiguous chunk. You may be wondering why there's not enough free address space when you haven't used all 4GB. That usually occurs due to fragmentation from allocating and deallocating different sized chunks. There might be a 100 chunks of size 1k, but not a single contiguous 100k chunk.

As for diagnosing the problem, special maps, add-ons, or graphics settings can have a large affect on the amount of address space needed. For example, try turning down your graphics settings and see if it reproduces as often. Try playing on standard maps / servers to see if it reproduces.

Edit: I also notice that you've got a custom Input Manager installed: Ecamm Plugin Loader. You might try disabling it.

Is there anyway to increase the "VM address space" ?
:)
『Blank』 Jan 15 @ 3:46am 
This is what i do and it works for any tf2 playing mann up and crashes. Go in options and take it out of fullscreen. im serious it works im using a Macbook Pro with mavericks
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Oct 20, 2013 @ 1:41pm